2022: Jets vs. Patriots

I think BB is an excellent coach with an excellent system, and I'll also acknowledge Im not very familiar with a few of their starters.  They have 1 returning Pro Bowler in Judon (12.5 sacks), excluding Special teams.  They did lose Pro Bowl CB Jackson to free agency. 

At a glance though, on paper, the Jets would appear to have a significant talent advantage.  Obviously, some of this talent needs to take the next step (Wilson, AVT, Moore) and the first rounders + Reese hit the field running, but regardless, there is a pretty full cupboard to work with.  That's why I agree with some on this board there should be no excuses not to have a competitive team this year.  I mean the Pats did it last year with a rookie QB, albeit it a more advanced roster at that time than the 2021 Jets.  But not near the roster in my opinion of the 2022 Jets who look to have added 8 starters via FA & the Draft AND who look to get back several key players lost to significant injury time (Lawson, Becton, Davis, Joyner).

I think ultimately, the level of our success and how we stack up against the Pats, are going to come down to 5 things outside the player development/readiness point above that comes with a young roster.

1. QB:  I think we saw that Mac Jones managed BB's offensive system well and was set up to have more success year 1 than Wilson.  He might even have a higher floor.  It will be fun to watch Wilson develop year 2 with a better supporting cast.  I'm betting on Wilson's upside but am concerned with the accuracy issues he had.  If it's not the Yips,  I truly believe we have our guy.

2. Coaching:  There were times I thought Saleh looked lost and was trying to fully implement his system instead of playing to the 1 or 2 strengths we previously had (e.g., run defense).  However, that approach and the strategy to play the youngsters might accelerate this year's progress ...  Still bullish on him and the OC, a big dose of skepticism on our DC.

3. Remaining Weaknesses:  Something BB is great at taking advantage of and why he's a Hall of Fame coach.  Getting gashed on the run, fooled on the RB screens, or beaten like a drum by the TEs .....  Our player personnel decisions have not fully solved this (sorry, Sherwood and Nas are still big ? and Rankins had a really bad year).  Still times to address ..

4. Becton/Mosely:  Both must show up and stay healthy.  Otherwise, there is no depth behind them.

5. Eddie Pinero:  Still believe he might be an informant for the Mob .. regardless, hitting field goals and extra points might be worth 2 more wins in today's NFL.

image.png

• Upvote 4

If the Jets play New England twice  later in the season when the rookies have some game experience  I think we can sweep the series against them. Just seems to me they have a more talented roster than the Belicheats 

3-3 overall in the division this year 

• Upvote 2

Good post

First, I wouldn't put a ton of stock in what happened last year.  Jets were not a good team to begin with, then, as you mention, Becton and Lawson went down with season ending injuries.  Devastating...  The other guys were banged up  as well, guys in and out of the lineup....Defense was totally out manned.

Zach played much better once he came back, especially the last 4 or 5 games.  Go watch that TB game again, he was really good.  This year, we've fortified the O-Line, added the best RB in the draft in Hall, added him another explosive weapon at WR in G Wilson, added 3 new TE's...Not only have they added weapons for Zach, but they have taken the pressure off him.  They have the personnel now to win with D / running game, and have him just make the throws when they are their.  They also have the ability to be explosive.  They can now be multi-dimensional on Offense.  

Personally, I have a lot of faith in Coach Saleh.  Again, I don't put too much stock in last season.  Did he make some mistakes?  Sure.  But did he also infuse this team with a new found energy - Hell yeah.  I can't wait to see the passion this year, as we have at least average NFL Talent across the board now.  His leadership and energy is going to be contagious.  The D you see on the field this year will be night and day from last season, when again, they were simply outmanned.  Give the D coordinator this season before you judge him.

Agreed on having to say healthy, and the importance of the kicking game...don't forget they also signed Greg the Leg Zuerlein to compete with Eddie the rat :)  I feel between those 2, one will emerge as a solid kicker this year.

As for the Cheaters...I would much rather be us right now.  They are headed south...will still always be a threat to win any given game as long as BB is there, so can't sleep on them, but our talent is head and shoulders better right now.  

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'd argue we have more talent, on paper, than they do.

But it all comes down to the QB and the Coaches.

Very much TDB on both.

I know the comparison with the Pats might not be the most ideal since they do have a proven Hall of Fame coach, but from a Jet's viewpoint, they are still a good benchmark to evaluate when it comes to the impact of Coaching and QB play.  The Bills are becoming the standard divisional benchmark of success, not comparing to them just yet.

But I do find it interesting that PFF has us drafting #3 next year.  If we do, I'll be feeling a LOT worse about our coach / staff and QB and for not addressing the remaining holes on our roster with our available budget.

The time truly is now.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Dunnie said:
32 minutes ago, Warfish said:
I'd argue we have more talent, on paper, than they do.
But it all comes down to the QB and the Coaches.
Very much TDB on both.

This is all you need to know ... and it.is spot on.

Of course it does.

Honestly, right now, for this franchise, I wouldn't want any other coach than Robert Saleh.  Perfect coach for this young, talent-laden team.  You want to talk about a combo of Energy, Positive Attitude, Passion, Knowledge, Experience....I know he has to win games before we anoint him, but he's the man.  He's OUR man, and I wouldn't want anyone else.  Same with Zach.  He's our guy and I can't wait to watch him ascend up the QB ranks in the NFL.  

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

NE isnt that good. They are average at best. 

I really think we should at least split the series with them this year

Yes and No.

I disagree with your point on New England not being that good.  They are good.  They are not great by any stretch.

The Patriots are the poster child for an 8-10 win team.   They are okay to good everywhere, but outside of Judon, even then, no one scares you.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

But I do find it interesting that PFF has us drafting #3 next year.  If we do, I'll be feeling a LOT worse about our coach / staff and QB and for not addressing the remaining holes on our roster with our available budget.

The time truly is now.

I'm as cynical and doubting as any poster here, and I don't think we're drafting anywhere near #3 overall in the 2023 Draft.

Ignore the noise and talking heads.  Lets see what this franchise puts on the field in 2022 before we worry about 2023.  JMO. 

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

NE isnt that good. They are average at best. 

I really think we should at least split the series with them this year

I agree.  Aside from big advantage at HC, we should be comparable to them.

10 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

Yes and No.

I disagree with your point on New England not being that good.  They are good.  They are not great by any stretch.

The Patriots are the poster child for an 8-10 win team.   They are okay to good everywhere, but outside of Judon, even then, no one scares you.

He didn't say they weren't good.  He said they're not "that good".  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I think BB is an excellent coach with an excellent system, and I'll also acknowledge I not very familiar with a few of their starters.  They have 1 returning Pro Bowler in Judon (12.5 sacks), excluding Special teams.  They did lose Pro Bowl CB Jackson to free agency. 

At a glance though, on paper, the Jets would appear to have a significant talent advantage.  Obviously, some of this talent needs to take the next step (Wilson, AVT, Moore) and the first rounders + Reese hit the field running, but regardless, there is a pretty full cupboard to work with.  That's why I agree with some on this board there should be no excuses not to have a competitive team this year.  I mean the Pats did it last year with a rookie QB, albeit it a more advanced roster at that time than the 2021 Jets.  But not near the roster in my opinion of the 2022 Jets who look to have added 8 starters via FA & the Draft AND who look to get back several key players lost to significant injury time (Lawson, Becton, Davis, Joyner).

I think ultimately, the level of our success and how we stack up against the Pats, are going to come down to 5 things outside the player development/readiness point above that comes with a young roster.

1. QB:  I think we saw that Mac Jones managed BB's offensive system well and was set up to have more success year 1 than Wilson.  He might even have a higher floor.  It will be fun to watch Wilson develop year 2 with a better supporting cast.  I'm betting on Wilson's upside but am concerned with the accuracy issues he had.  If it's not the Yips,  I truly believe we have our guy.

2. Coaching:  There were times I thought Saleh looked lost and was trying to fully implement his system instead of playing to the 1 or 2 strengths we previously had (e.g., run defense).  However, that approach and the strategy to play the youngsters might accelerate this year's progress ...  Still bullish on him and the OC, a big dose of skepticism on our DC.

3. Remaining Weaknesses:  Something BB is great at taking advantage of and why he's a Hall of Fame coach.  Getting gashed on the run, fooled on the RB screens, or beaten like a drum by the TEs .....  Our player personnel decisions have not fully solved this (sorry, Sherwood and Nas are still big ? and Rankins had a really bad year).  Still times to address ..

4. Becton/Mosely:  Both must show up and stay healthy.  Otherwise, there is no depth behind them.

5. Eddie Pinero:  Still believe he might be an informant for the Mob .. regardless, hitting field goals and extra points might be worth 2 more wins in today's NFL.

image.png

I'm calling it now. The NE Faketriots WILL finish last in the AFC East . BOOK IT!

Patriots were looking like the best team in the league through 13 weeks last season.

They may drop off some and obviously the Jets should be significantly better but we’re a long way away until we see otherwise. 

Mac Jones collapsed down the stretch, here’s hoping he’s been figured out. 

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Patriots were looking like the best team in the league through 13 weeks last season.

They may drop off some and obviously the Jets should be significantly better but we’re a long way away until we see otherwise. 

Mac Jones collapsed down the stretch, here’s hoping he’s been figured out. 

It shows how much an impact a Hall of Fame coach has.  Without him and his system, Jones most likely doesn't have that success.

My key point is that the Jets now have a better roster than the Pats on paper and this year's success will be driven largely by the Coaches & QB.  We essentially grabbed 4 players in a lot of scouts top 20 (not just the Jets top 20).   You know the positional rankings.  Add them to Wilson, AVT, and Moore last year and some very good FA pickups with strong PFF scores representative of better than average starters.  

At QB, Wilson needs to play a LOT better to catch up and surpass Jones, but it's clear to me the GM has gotten him the supporting cast so there really is no excuse.  

It's now up to the coaching staff to do the following:

1. Develop these players to fully realize their potential

2. Gameplan around their strengths and anticipate how others will gameplan around their weaknesses (we had no strengths last year and quite frankly were poor at in game adjustments)

3. Build a winning culture that is no longer intimidated by the Pats or any other team (road games will especially be telling)

As fans, it should be fun to watch and is much better than where we were last year: 

2021:  GM (?), Roster ('bad'), QB (rookie growing pains), Coach (rookie growing pains)

2022:  GM (), Roster ('competitive'), QB (?), Coach (?)

2 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

Look man all of that sounds nice, but the fact of the matter is that we haven’t beat NE since 2015. 

A simple split with them this year would have me jumping for joy! 

I think it helps us to play them later in the season. I think, 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MaybeOneDay said:

Personally, I have a lot of faith in Coach Saleh.  Again, I don't put too much stock in last season.  Did he make some mistakes?  Sure.  But did he also infuse this team with a new found energy - Hell yeah.  I can't wait to see the passion this year, as we have at least average NFL Talent across the board now.  His leadership and energy is going to be contagious.  The D you see on the field this year will be night and day from last season, when again, they were simply outmanned.  Give the D coordinator this season before you judge him.

I think we underestimate the learning curves of first-time coaches and GMs, and expect them to be at the top of their game right out of the gate.  Look at how Joe D. has improved every year since he got here.  I’m hoping for the same growth with Saleh, Mike LaFleur, Ulbrich, and the other coaches who were in their first full-time seasons in their new roles last year.

Look man all of that sounds nice, but the fact of the matter is that we haven’t beat NE since 2015. 

A simple split with them this year would have me jumping for joy! 
Fug a split.....raise the Godd Damme bar...

I WANT A SWEEP.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

2 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

Fug a split.....raise the Godd Damme bar...

I WANT A SWEEP.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

Ok, and when we somehow lose to BB again your handle will be "Sent from the Bill Belichick suicide desk" 

Im pumped for the season as well, but lets look at the outcome, we haven't beaten them since 2015, we're 0-4 since Brady left featuring blowout losses to the corpse of Cam Newton and the Pop gun kid from Bama. How about we get on base and get a single or double, instead of swinging for a grand slam, only to strikeout 

• Upvote 1