Daniel Jeremiah- “Mims, I have been told, is off the charts in the offseason stuff."

8 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Mims turning into the WR we hoped, would just do so much for this team. Gives them so much flexibility at that position. I BELIEVE! 

Also if Becton and Mims actually turn it around and become valuable starters. Then JD is officially a draft gawd. And give him a 10 year extension. 

Agreed if Becton can fulfill his potential and Mims even just half of it then this team is well stacked 

17 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

This is all fluff. With that said, if we can get ANYTHING out of the 2020 draft class it just might make the difference between the jets winning 6 games and the jets winning 9-ish games. Becton, Mims, Davis, etc. could be the difference. 

Becton and Mims have a real shot to make big contributions to this team

Becton will be starting if healthy. 

For mims and davis it becomes harder because of the competition at the position.  Mims has a better shot because he offers size that only Corey Davis can give you.  So he can carve out a niche in this offense. 

Davis is going to have a real uphill battle.  Not that we're flush with talented safeties, but with whitehead getting one spot locked down he'll have to beat out a list of guys to start or get time, including Marcus Joyner who is back. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Could be more than coincidence; that his slighter frame - and not working on himself enough off the field - wasn't unrelated to his being both injured and not prepared to be on the field.

Maybe figuring as a high draft pick (on a team lacking WR1 level talent) the job would be just handed to him, plus that he wouldn't get hurt in the future because he didn't get hurt in the past. I doubt that's a conscious thought/plan he had, but it seems obvious he wasn't previously putting in the offseason work that he did this winter/spring, or no one would be wow'd by the shape he's in now. 

Young players working hard on improving themselves is always great to hear. We'll see/hear a lot more in 3 months when it's offense vs. defense in pads, as to whether this "news" manifests in similarly big changes on the field. I do think it will (if he doesn't get another unexpected injury), since it's not like he wasn't talented or skilled. I hope so, since they can't train their other fast WRs to grow to 6'3" tall with 34" arms, nor their taller TEs to run a 4.4 40 & 2.5 second 20.

If not? Well, the truth is the team's already made arrangements for football without Mims.

The thought of Mims playing to his potential alongside the other skill players in this offense is enough to make me need a shower this morning.  

• Haha 1

See, this is a perfect example of how Becton brings so much of the hate onto himself. Mims has been a disappointment in every way. A report like this comes out and the reaction is overwhelmingly a skeptical "good for him, really hope it translates to the field".  Becton, on the other hand, because he's all over Twitter having a hissy fit of child makes himself really unlikable and difficult to root for. I don't have any dislike for Mims as a person. Disappointed he hasn't put it together but I really hope he does. Becton is just a horrible professional on top of being a total disappointment. 

That's why you've got "I'm rooting for him" in a Mims thread, and a dozen pages of "fat slob with a Triceps exercise picture lolz" in a Becton thread. 

• Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

It was Free Denzel and I’m priding myself in ignoring the trappings of pre-season hype, the heartbreak of training camp and want to go into the regular season with the freshness of new born baby Becton.  

we have moved in a more positive direction... I understand you don't want to get hurt again.... 

it sure would be an unexpected delight if Mims just adds on from his first season and we just end up saying season 2 was an anomaly 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

Just now, NYJ37/12 said:

and the ball flying through is hands and bouncing off his chest. The dude stinks

He had 23 passes thrown his way last season, even if he dropped 20 of them , it would be an incredibly small sample size. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

He had 23 passes thrown his way last season, even if he dropped 20 of them , it would be an incredibly small sample size. 

If you like him or think he could be good, I hope you're right. I dont see it.

2 hours ago, jvill 51 said:

Listened to that this morning. Here’s the full Mims quote below. Could be (probably?) standard offseason fluff or trying to pump up trade value, but I’d rather be hearing this stuff than not.

A60262D6-DA3B-4451-8C5A-DB398B4D37AA.thumb.jpeg.f7296094fbccf4455a4e0715667df192.jpeg

Actual footage of Mims at the facility:

deer chasing GIF

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Jerrmiah’s exact quote: “Dude, Mims has a great personality. I’m telling you. You should totally give him a chance, man. What do you have to lose? One date. Give it a shot.”

Sounds like what co-workers say when they are trying to set you up. Of course they legal have to address the felonies, otherwise it is word for word.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Really wasn't the problem , the problem was being invested in the playbook and not giving his all. 

Yeah that is definitely where it all started. He couldn't get on the field, seemed to be off the field effort. So this is good news.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

He was running full speed again.  Everything last year looked like he was jogging. Guess like his trainer said he was bad shape from that food poisoning . Cause they had to rebuild his body and get his weight back up . Seems to be paying off . Cant wait too see him on the field 

I have a personal conspiracy theory in that Mims had more than just food poisoning last year and the Jets kept it secret. I still think their tough love approach was wrong footed and hopefully they adjust but the guy I saw 2 years ago looked like a potential #1 prospect, Mims last year looked like anything but a professional football player. The Jets support has been petty unwavering so Mims could very well be a big surprise this season. We could really use him because he brings something different than all the other receivers. I still think he is like Braylon Edwards 2.0 and will blossom in the right environment.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

It was Free Denzel and I’m priding myself in ignoring the trappings of pre-season hype, the heartbreak of training camp and want to go into the regular season with the freshness of new born baby Becton.  

It's gonna be ok Crushbro.  

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, jNYC1 said:

Regardless of opinions on whether you believe  Mims will or won’t work out…

he’s near the top of list of Jets that we all should be rooting hard for..

Of players fans have soured on, been dismissive of… or have low expectations:

Mimsy

Becton

Corey Davis (reasonably paid veteran WR2)

Connor McGovern

Nathan Shepherd

Rooting hard for all those guys!

The Corey Davis hate, I’m not quite sold he was a bad signing. He missed 8 full games plus some time in another 1 or two games. If you carry over and translate his stats to a full season he would have been right around 1000 yards. Also keep in mind, he missed the josh Johnson and mike white games where the offense peaked. With how weak the qb play was last year, in the games he played in, I think he’s a prime candidate to have a nice bounce back season if he can stay healthy and Wilson takes the next step.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I remember a similar article that "the Jets are loving what they're seeing from Christian Hackenberg this offseason."

This was also the offseason where D. Watson and P. Mahomes were drafted and we took well ya know....

I would feel pretty confident arguing that McCagnan/Bowle's off season program and Joe Douglas/Robert Saleh's off season program is slightly different. Hakenberg (and Darnald) didnt even have a QB coach 

24 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I have a personal conspiracy theory in that Mims had more than just food poisoning last year and the Jets kept it secret. I still think their tough love approach was wrong footed and hopefully they adjust but the guy I saw 2 years ago looked like a potential #1 prospect, Mims last year looked like anything but a professional football player. The Jets support has been petty unwavering so Mims could very well be a big surprise this season. We could really use him because he brings something different than all the other receivers. I still think he is like Braylon Edwards 2.0 and will blossom in the right environment.

He got the Mono

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Mimsy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

If Mims becomes what he was drafted to be.  My goodness.  This offense could be truly unstoppable.

I lost all hope for mimsy after last year, but from multiple sources, he has transformed his body and is putting everythinig he has into becoming the best receiver he can be this offseason.

Here is the link to listen to jeremiah:

Seen too many "player X looks completely different this offseason" stories to jump for joy over this until we see it on the field, but the possibility is tantalizing

4 hours ago, maury77 said:

I'd hate to be called an optimist, but Becton and Mims were both pretty good their rookie seasons. It's not incomprehensible that they just had sophomore slumps and they can still bounce back. 

Very much this

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

I would feel pretty confident arguing that McCagnan/Bowle's off season program and Joe Douglas/Robert Saleh's off season program is slightly different. Hakenberg (and Darnald) didnt even have a QB coach 

Once bitten twice shy my friend. It's going to take a lot of proven success to heal these Jets scars.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Love to hear that he is in shape and ready to go physically. I'm doubtful though that his lack of playing time was all due to his physical shape last year (unless bad Salmon can floor a person for 8 months). 

With no real proof, I assumed (maybe wrongly) that he had issues with absorbing the offense or running the right routes. Glad that he's running around like a "deer," but is he there on the mental game (I'm not saying he's not, just wondering)?