Daniel Jeremiah- “Mims, I have been told, is off the charts in the offseason stuff."

6 hours ago, slats said:

Now if only the fans could spell Becton correctly! 

Could be worse, we could have drafted Ekwonu. Or Ekongwu, Ekwongu, Enkwono, ... and his various other epithets. :D  

• Haha 2

I think it was a combination of circumstances that led to Mims’ redshirt sophomore season.

-he was sick during installation 

-he never put in the extra work mentality to catch up

-he probably felt entitled 

Hopefully  he had his wake up call because he truly could be our number 1 if he puts it ALL together.

• Upvote 4

Mims has the athletic ability. All he needs is motivation to get better. If he tries to improve, he will be a very good player. Hopefully this is what is happening and not like all of those "Mims learned a new route" crap that LaFleur said during the season

19 minutes ago, Hex said:

Mims has the athletic ability. All he needs is motivation to get better. If he tries to improve, he will be a very good player. Hopefully this is what is happening and not like all of those "Mims learned a new route" crap that LaFleur said during the season

Can you hear how insane this sounds?   Motivation?  What?   More than being one of the privileged few athletes to play in the NFL?  How much more motivation does a person like Mims need than doing well and continuing to make millions for playing a game?  

I want Mims to do well.  But I really don't think it's in the cards.  For whatever reason, between college and the pros, Mims lost his edge.  That or it's just that other guys in the league are better.

• Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Can you hear how insane this sounds?   Motivation?  What?   More than being one of the privileged few athletes to play in the NFL?  How much more motivation does a person like Mims need than doing well and continuing to make millions for playing a game?  

I want Mims to do well.  But I really don't think it's in the cards.  For whatever reason, between college and the pros, Mims lost his edge.  That or it's just that other guys in the league are better.

Earlier reports suggested he was being lazy and not learning his routes. He showed he could be good in college, and although I don't really think Mims will pick up his game, I do think that motivation is the main thing that he needs to improve. If he was motivated to learn his dang routes, he would probably have never been benched.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Hex said:

Earlier reports suggested he was being lazy and not learning his routes. He showed he could be good in college, and although I don't really think Mims will pick up his game, I do think that motivation is the main thing that he needs to improve. If he was motivated to learn his dang routes, he would probably have never been benched.

I'm sure both of us would love to walk up to this kid and just scream "snap out of it!".   All of us were psyched with drafting Mims and are flummoxed watching him falter.   I have no idea what's wrong.

cher-snap-out-of-it.gif

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, extmenace said:

The Corey Davis hate, I’m not quite sold he was a bad signing. He missed 8 full games plus some time in another 1 or two games. If you carry over and translate his stats to a full season he would have been right around 1000 yards. Also keep in mind, he missed the josh Johnson and mike white games where the offense peaked. With how weak the qb play was last year, in the games he played in, I think he’s a prime candidate to have a nice bounce back season if he can stay healthy and Wilson takes the next step.

This is my feeling.  To start the year Zach had a food connection with Davis.  I think we will see a continuation of that this season.  I think he will be the #1 target again early in the year.

5 hours ago, Paradis said:

In a world where Mims woke up out of that 2021 opium den he was lost in -- and caught fire -- oooooooooooooooo boi.

Mims, Wilson, Moore, rotating in Berrios/Davis with Uzomah/Ruckert inline and flexing out Conklin in 12 personnel? 

Are you kidding? 

AND THAT'S BEFORE YOU EVEN FEED HALL AND CARTER!! 

GIF by Steve Harvey TV

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, varjet said:

Something funny was going on with Mims last year.  

The Becton story does not compute either, but if it was really bad they Jets would have taken Ikey at 4.  

By all accounts they were damn close.  Had the Texans taken Sauce instead of Stingley at #3 I'd bet Ickey is a Jet.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, AFJF said:

I forget who/where it was posted but there were a few pics of Mims working out that went public a few weeks ago and the dude went from being a bean pole to being a jacked WR.  He's undoubtedly putting the work in, but now he's gotta' do something on the football field.

Could he fill a debo samuel role on this team?

23 hours ago, jNYC1 said:

Regardless of opinions on whether you believe  Mims will or won’t work out…

he’s near the top of list of Jets that we all should be rooting hard for..

Of players fans have soured on, been dismissive of… or have low expectations:

Mimsy

Becton

Corey Davis (reasonably paid veteran WR2)

Connor McGovern

Nathan Shepherd

Rooting hard for all those guys!

Is keelan cole still on the team?

22 hours ago, NamathToSauer said:

The odds of Davis, Wilson and Moore all staying healthy for 17 games are slim,so it would be nice if he could provide quality depth

I think Davis tore his abdomen or obliques or whatever straining for a Zach Wilson hospital ball.

Wilson being able to hit the broadside of a barn on short to intermediate passes wouldn’t hurt.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I think it was a combination of circumstances that led to Mims’ redshirt sophomore season.

-he was sick during installation 

-he never put in the extra work mentality to catch up

-he probably felt entitled 

Hopefully  he had his wake up call because he truly could be our number 1 if he puts it ALL together.

- he was sick during installations and lost 20 lbs

- he caught Covid during the season and had tough time with Covid (apparently it hits people differently)

- he was known as a super hard worker with fantastic work ethic (great character) until seeming lethargic and low effort during the season (see above two comments)

- he didn’t feel like himself physically until almost a full month or two after the season ended

- wide receiver market is hot and he will make a lot of money given his size speed profile if he can showcase his unique skills

- besides money, the desire to prove doubters wrong burns strong within him (he’s still mad he was drafted in 2nd round - and he’s coming for those fans that wrote him off)

As a jets fan it’s house money!  Who doesn’t love playing with house money?!

- would have gone in first round of the 2022 draft based on college production and measurables

- tremendous value on rookie contract if he can contribute

- great option to replace Davis when Davis’ contract is complete (after year 3).  It will be final year of Mim’s cheap rookie contract.

-  he will explode in his contract year playing alongside Wilson, and Moore - offering the size speed combo that will complement the rest of the weapons

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

18 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

No still a street FA

Jeff Smith is the preferred option at WR6

That’s what JD and the league thinks of Cole at this point 

I remember when we signed Cole there were reports that Douglas loved him… and had been interested in acquiring him the prior year

He was a good signing since he had veteran experience to fill out the 2nd team, and seemed like a great locker room guy. 

Jeff Smith might have more athletic upside 4.36 40 time… and is still learning the position (former QB).  He also theoretically offers up some gadget play capability based on speed and QB background.  However Jeff Smith was not good last year when pressed into duty.

14 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Motivation = job.

Good bet it was the first time he’d been benched, where his pure size & speed weren’t enough. Throw in health issues & immaturity/ego (and a first year WRC, OC, HC, etc,) and it’s a bad recipe.

In he end it could be for the best that he got a big dose of reality with the team going so hard at his position this offseason. Could motivate him from flashes/teases to a consistent weapon. It’s not like he has no talent or is too old to turn the corner and still have a good NFL career.

We’ll see what he does soon enough. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1