Daniel Jeremiah- “Mims, I have been told, is off the charts in the offseason stuff."

13 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I'm sure both of us would love to walk up to this kid and just scream "snap out of it!".   All of us were psyched with drafting Mims and are flummoxed watching him falter.   I have no idea what's wrong.

cher-snap-out-of-it.gif

Couldn't agree more... Who the hell knows what's going on. All I know is the kid can play if he wants to, or if the coaching staff lets him, if they've been down on him lets say.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jNYC1 said:

I remember when we signed Cole there were reports that Douglas loved him… and had been interested in acquiring him the prior year

He was a good signing since he had veteran experience to fill out the 2nd team, and seemed like a great locker room guy. 

Jeff Smith might have more athletic upside 4.36 40 time… and is still learning the position (former QB).  He also theoretically offers up some gadget play capability based on speed and QB background.  However Jeff Smith was not good last year when pressed into duty.

Keegan Cole signed a 1-year contract, no? That’s probably the #1 reason he’s not here. ?‍♂️

Jeff Smith plays special teams, doesn’t he? Probably why he is here still.

13 hours ago, rtnelson said:

The Corey Davis hate, I’m not quite sold he was a bad signing. He missed 8 full games plus some time in another 1 or two games. If you carry over and translate his stats to a full season he would have been right around 1000 yards. Also keep in mind, he missed the josh Johnson and mike white games where the offense peaked. With how weak the qb play was last year, in the games he played in, I think he’s a prime candidate to have a nice bounce back season if he can stay healthy and Wilson takes the next step.

If he learns how to catch the ball, I'd say yes... That was his major problem last year. Zach targeted him a lot, and he dropped a lot, then got injured. Doesn't help a player endear himself to this team, especially with how much us fans want to win games.

8 hours ago, jNYC1 said:

I remember when we signed Cole there were reports that Douglas loved him… and had been interested in acquiring him the prior year

He was a good signing since he had veteran experience to fill out the 2nd team, and seemed like a great locker room guy. 

Jeff Smith might have more athletic upside 4.36 40 time… and is still learning the position (former QB).  He also theoretically offers up some gadget play capability based on speed and QB background.  However Jeff Smith was not good last year when pressed into duty.

I’m sure all GMs love lots of guys until they fail to produce as hoped. He also thought - like a bunch of posters here - that Cole would’ve been an ample swap if Crowder turned down JD’s pay cut demand. Didn’t seem so.

Throw in a little of playing him outside out of necessity, away from his comfort zone (who else was playing out there with Moore and/or Davis injured, and Mims being Mims last year — Berrios & Crowder?). But while Cole played the most games and snaps, he really just didn’t get open.

With the further addition of 3 TEs (2 heading into the draft), there was no great need or rush to re-sign him. They have their top 4 (top 7 with the TEs) plus the WR5 winner among Mims, Smith, etc.

They do not need Cole.

• Upvote 2

I don't see Mims not being on this team to start the year barring another move at receiver that hasn't been made yet. He's under contract on a 2nd round rookie deal. Even if he is just the 5th or 6th receiver, why wouldn't the Jets keep him unless some unknown player has a big camp? He's one of JD's first picks. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, neckdemon said:

Not a fan of the draft??

I am a huge fan of the draft, as was pretty much everybody here. My point is that it looks like on the surface that JD actually listened to the fans and drafted accordingly

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Hey...that's actually kind of a big deal. I'm reading into it. 

Ditto!  Douglas, Woody, and Saleh have all given indications that they see Mims as part of the future.  They do not have to do that… 

I’m not saying their sticking their necks out but it would be far easier to be silent or neutral on Mimsy.   I’m taking it as a really promising sign.

Love the clip - All TDs… except for Mims.  Need to get Mims some in 2022… rooting hard for the kid regardless of opinions on likelihood of success.

• Upvote 4

On 5/3/2022 at 11:53 PM, jNYC1 said:

Regardless of opinions on whether you believe  Mims will or won’t work out…

he’s near the top of list of Jets that we all should be rooting hard for..

Of players fans have soured on, been dismissive of… or have low expectations:

Mimsy

Becton

Corey Davis (reasonably paid veteran WR2)

Connor McGovern

Nathan Shepherd

Rooting hard for all those guys!

I'd add Ashtyn Davis to this list. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Hey...that's actually kind of a big deal. I'm reading into it. 

That's absolutely a big deal.  The Owner wouldn't do that if Mims wasn't a part of JD/Saleh's plan.

Counter to the prevailing forum view, the Johnsons are not, in fact, morons.

• Upvote 2

On 5/5/2022 at 7:12 AM, BeaconJet said:

The thing that is obvious from that clip is how much bigger and in better shape he looks. He looks 40lbs heavier than last year. I still maintain there was more to the situation than what was released publicly. I actually expect him to contribute.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, section314 said:

If they hated him he wouldn't be here. 

You two need different colors for your avatar. Too much purple on this board!

8 minutes ago, Dwight Englewood said:

If they could trade Mims for a 2nd he’d be gone

JD is not cutting a player he drafted in round 2. Macagnan refused to cut Hackentard for years

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Dwight Englewood said:

JD is not cutting a player he drafted in round 2. Macagnan refused to cut Hackentard for years

I love all the Mims happy talk, but he’s no lock to make the team. He’s currently #5 behind four locks. And JD won’t hesitate to upgrade if the right WR hits the waiver wire. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Dwight Englewood said:

JD and Maccagnan are similar in that JD is the GM for the Jets and Maccagnan was the GM for the Jets. You haven't been paying attention if you think JD will hold onto a player because of where they were drafted. He already cut Jabari Zuniga, and he was a third rounder. He also cut Morgan who was a fourth rounder. If Mims sticks around, it's only because there is something salvageable. 

• Upvote 3

On 5/7/2022 at 8:07 AM, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

JD and Maccagnan are similar in that JD is the GM for the Jets and Maccagnan was the GM for the Jets. You haven't been paying attention if you think JD will hold onto a player because of where they were drafted. He already cut Jabari Zuniga, and he was a third rounder. He also cut Morgan who was a fourth rounder. If Mims sticks around, it's only because there is something salvageable. 

Sorry but in the by world I live in a second round pick is higher than a third or a 4th

I agree Mims is salvageable but I have zero faith in this coaching staff and QB1 

4 minutes ago, Dwight Englewood said:

Sorry but in the by world I live in a second round pick is higher than a third or a 4th

I agree Mims is salvageable but I have zero faith in this coaching staff and QB1 

Sorry, but this isn't a good argument for JD holding onto Mims because Maccagnan held onto Hackenberg. Cutting a 3rd and a 4th is a good indication that he would be willing to cut a 2nd rounder.

• Upvote 2