Daniel Jeremiah- “Mims, I have been told, is off the charts in the offseason stuff."

Just now, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Sorry, but this isn't a good argument for JD holding onto Mims because Maccagnan held onto Hackenberg. Cutting a 3rd and a 4th is a good indication that he would be willing to cut a 2nd rounder.

Mims is a second round pick. Him getting cut would be an enormous admission of incompetence by JD

23 minutes ago, Dwight Englewood said:

Mims is a second round pick. Him getting cut would be an enormous admission of incompetence by JD

No, not really. It was his first draft, and during covid which meant no meetings in person, no physicals, it was a screwed up year. Plus, no one is perfect. The way some of you talk you'd think you were all in the top .001% of your field, and that mistakes never happen. It also depends on how you look at things. Would you prefer an insecure GM who isn't willing to cut bait, and admit a potential mistake? Incompetence to me would be letting your foolish pride make a mistake worse by not dealing with it, and letting it carry on. Mims at my last glance was fighting for a backup WR spot as opposed to penciled in as a starter.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 5/7/2022 at 8:04 AM, slats said:

I love all the Mims happy talk, but he’s no lock to make the team. He’s currently #5 behind four locks. And JD won’t hesitate to upgrade if the right WR hits the waiver wire. 

I think he's actually #6. I put Smith ahead of him. Refusal to play special teams is a major issue for a bottom roster WR. Says volumes about attitude and commitment. 

On 5/4/2022 at 5:36 PM, Hex said:

Earlier reports suggested he was being lazy and not learning his routes. He showed he could be good in college, and although I don't really think Mims will pick up his game, I do think that motivation is the main thing that he needs to improve. If he was motivated to learn his dang routes, he would probably have never been benched.

Can you link or post those "reports"?  Because other than fans saying things like this, I dont remember it as an actual "report" instead of an assumption by fans

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Can you link or post those "reports"?  Because other than fans saying things like this, I dont remember it as an actual "report" instead of an assumption by fans

Read what LaFleur said.  It seems like Mims was either lost or dogging it in practices.

"Reading between the lines, it seems like the coaching staff wants Mims to push himself harder.

'He's learning, he's getting better," Jets offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur said. "For him, I told him the other day, 'The more you're on your stuff, the more opportunities you're going to get. And the more you're on your stuff, the more you're going to be the Denzel Mims that we all know.' What I've really liked, he's responded a lot in the last few days. He's had better practices.'"

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/87204/jets-denzel-mims-buried-on-depth-chart-raising-questions-about-future

28 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Read what LaFleur said.  It seems like Mims was either lost or dogging it in practices.

"Reading between the lines, it seems like the coaching staff wants Mims to push himself harder.

'He's learning, he's getting better," Jets offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur said. "For him, I told him the other day, 'The more you're on your stuff, the more opportunities you're going to get. And the more you're on your stuff, the more you're going to be the Denzel Mims that we all know.' What I've really liked, he's responded a lot in the last few days. He's had better practices.'"

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/87204/jets-denzel-mims-buried-on-depth-chart-raising-questions-about-future

NFL Coach Uses Motivational Techniques on NFL Player, film at 11. 

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Saleh loves Mims so much that he immediately ran out and gave Corey Davis $38 million dollars, spent picks #10 and #34 on receivers, re-signed Braxton Berrios for $12 million, then desperately tried to trade for every receiver that was even remotely available this offseason. 

Right, and he’s so completely fed up with Becton that the position wasn’t addressed at all in free agency, and wasn’t dealt with in the draft until their second to last pick. But sure, go with whichever narrative tool is working best for you in the moment. 

Me? I’m looking forward to seeing if these coaches pushed the right buttons with these two talented players. Becton’s starting at one of the OT spots, that we know. Hoping Mims can hold onto his roster spot first, then make a case to get himself on the field. My early unimportant prediction? Mims will be the Jets’ leading receiver in the preseason this year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Barton said:

Might be legit or could be trying to up his trade value. 

What trade value?  Right now, Mims is worth approx. nothing. 

People like him get cut in camp three years later all the time. 

Not traded.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, slats said:

Right, and he’s so completely fed up with Becton that the position wasn’t addressed at all in free agency, and wasn’t dealt with in the draft until their second to last pick. But sure, go with whichever narrative tool is working best for you in the moment. 

Me? I’m looking forward to seeing if these coaches pushed the right buttons with these two talented players. Becton’s starting at one of the OT spots, that we know. Hoping Mims can hold onto his roster spot first, then make a case to get himself on the field. My early unimportant prediction? Mims will be the Jets’ leading receiver in the preseason this year. 

It’s cool that you’re betting the future of Zach Wilson and the Jets franchise on Mekhi Becton staying healthy and motivated for the next calendar year, but maybe wait on taking a victory lap until he actually deigns to show up to the state of New Jersey and gets onto a practice field.

The easiest explanation for Mims is that he was drafted by Gase to play in an entirely different offense than the one that the Jets currently employ, and now he’s the odd man out. The entire receiving corps played like they were suffering from a deep depression last season—save for a few non-Zach starts and Braxton Berrios chasing some free money at the end of the year—so it’s not unlikely that Mims simply goy caught up in some position group ennui. I like Mims and hope he turns it around, but he’s currently fighting to be the WR5 against Jeff Smith, and Mims doesn’t play special teams so it’s hard to justify keeping him around unless two other receivers get hurt between now and the end of August.

37 minutes ago, slats said:

Sure.  Right.  These words by LaFleur don't strike me as motivational.   "he's responded a lot in the last few days. He's had better practices."   More like LaFleur attempting in a nice way to say Mims is doing better but not great.  

As a player, reading that quote would have made me think that I am in danger of getting cut.  "He's had better practices"?  Better?  Good Lord.  WTF were the other ones like? 

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

IThe entire receiving corps played like they were suffering from a deep depression last season—save for a few non-Zach starts and Braxton Berrios chasing some free money at the end of the year

I see you are still repeating this blatant falsehood, despite the fact that it has been pointed out to you many times (by myself and others) that our number 1 WR to start the year last year easily had his best days as a jet with Wilson at QB. 

also, I enjoy the disingenuous Berrios  rationalization - another WR who had his best day with Wilson 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Possibly, I could be wrong. I thought there was a thread that had a report about that, but now that I think about it it might have just been based on the fact that he struggled to run his routes during games when he was even there.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Warfish said:

What trade value?  Right now, Mims is worth approx. nothing. 

People like him get cut in camp three years later all the time. 

Not traded.

I think Macc used to get a "conditional 7th" or something like that to make it look better.  

2 hours ago, Jethead said:

I think he's actually #6. I put Smith ahead of him. Refusal to play special teams is a major issue for a bottom roster WR. Says volumes about attitude and commitment. 

I don’t think the special teams thing is a huge deal. This regime actually seems to understand the concept that WR is a premium position. I don’t think they need their WRs to play specials as long as they contribute on offense. The fact that their #4 WR is a core special teamer doesn’t hurt, either. And did he refuse to play special teams? I really don’t know. Could be they just don’t have a role for him. 

Also, doesn’t matter. I expect them to carry six WRs, anyway. I think Mims will be one of them, and Smith won’t be. We’ll see. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I get that he may have been slow to learn the system, but there isnt one word of here that says he wasnt working to learn the play book.  Theres a lot of reading into things by others

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No one word of this says he wasnt working to learn the play book.  

My comments were directed to the parts about Mims not learning routes and being less than enthusiastic during practices.  Again, reading between the lines, I believe LaFleur is suggesting that.

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Sure.  Right.  These words by LaFleur don't strike me as motivational.   "he's responded a lot in the last few days. He's had better practices."   More like LaFleur attempting in a nice way to say Mims is doing better but not great.  

As a player, reading that quote would have made me think that I am in danger of getting cut.  "He's had better practices"?  Better?  Good Lord.  WTF were the other ones like? 

You have to dig really deep with a overwhelming dislike to come to these conclusions.

At the end of last season, a horror of a season for Mims, Saleh said very clearly that Mims is extremely talented and there wasnt a chance that they wouldnt give him a place on the team, that they hadn't given up on him because of that talent.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Saleh loves Mims so much that he immediately ran out and gave Corey Davis $38 million dollars, spent picks #10 and #34 on receivers, re-signed Braxton Berrios for $12 million, then desperately tried to trade for every receiver that was even remotely available this offseason. 

All of this was before Saleh coached one game, say the Jets on the field once.  Never mind Saleh doest procure talent, he coaches it.  Or that I cant think of or name one team that in the history of the NFL won with one WR on their roster.  So I dont get the whole Corey Davis  or Wilson and whoever argument.  

Tried to trade for every available WR this offseason is what Hill and Deebo, two MVP like players are?  I count 2 of what the 10 that were available?  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

I don’t think the special teams thing is a huge deal. This regime actually seems to understand the concept that WR is a premium position. I don’t think they need their WRs to play specials as long as they contribute on offense. The fact that their #4 WR is a core special teamer doesn’t hurt, either. And did he refuse to play special teams? I really don’t know. Could be they just don’t have a role for him. 

Also, doesn’t matter. I expect them to carry six WRs, anyway. I think Mims will be one of them, and Smith won’t be. We’ll see. 

I hope Mims blossoms. The Jets WR corps would have enormous depth. Davis would be the guy on the bubble which would represent a sea change. I think this summer is crucial for him. If he doesn't flash in camp or pre-season he won't make the team and rightfully so.

• Upvote 1

I think Mims biggest problems were mental. Mostly his inability to learn the offense.  
ML likes to move his WR’s around.   To me it seemed as if Mims was thinking far too much, which caused bad routes, dropped passes and an excessive amount of penalties.  

If he can learn the offense he can stick and make an impact. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

I get that he may have been slow to learn the system, but there isnt one word of here that says he wasnt working to learn the play book.  Theres a lot of reading into things by others

There were several reports by observers that he was dogging it during typical WR drills.

3 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I see you are still repeating this blatant falsehood, despite the fact that it has been pointed out to you many times (by myself and others) that our number 1 WR to start the year last year easily had his best days as a jet with Wilson at QB. 

also, I enjoy the disingenuous Berrios  rationalization - another WR who had his best day with Wilson 

Wilson did start 13 of the 17 games.  Shocking that some of our receivers had their best game with him..  

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Wilson did start 13 of the 17 games.  Shocking that some of our receivers had their best game with him..  

Sure - but that isn't really relevant to my point. 

T0mShane has repeatedly suggested Jets WRs only played decently with Wilson out of the lineup, but this is patently false for 2 of our top 4 WRs last year. 

The biggest problem with the WRs last year is that they barely played. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

It’s not my victory lap, it’s Joe Douglas’. He played the media with the fan driven narrative that Becton was no longer in the team’s plans, and I still find it hilarious how hook, line, and sinker you fell for it. Also, I would’ve not liked Joe Douglas as much if he took an OL in the first round this year, but instead I get to like him even more! 

One wonders what information Douglas is working off of that would lead him to trust Becton even a little bit. It was Dane Brugler who said he heard from several executives that Becton had played his last game in a Jets uniform. Brugler, who was exceedingly complimentary of the Jets draft, is hardly a click-whoring beat guy. He got this information while talking to people around the league about draft prospects. I guess Douglas could hope and pray Becton keeps it together for the next eight months, but how could he be at all confident in that belief? 

24 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Sure - but that isn't really relevant to my point. 

@TomShanehas repeatedly suggested Jets WRs only played decently with Wilson out of the lineup, but this is patently false for 2 of our top 4 WRs last year. 

The biggest problem with the WRs last year is that they barely played. 

So, Corey Davis, in games played with Zach Wilson, averaged 53 yards per game, scored three TDs in those six games, and had a catch percentage of 59%. He put up a catch percentage of 70.7% playing with Tannehill the year prior to joining the Jets. 

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

One wonders what information Douglas is working off of that would lead him to trust Becton even a little bit. It was Dane Brugler who said he heard from several executives that Becton had played his last game in a Jets uniform. Brugler, who was exceedingly complimentary of the Jets draft, is hardly a click-whoring beat guy. He got this information while talking to people around the league about draft prospects. I guess Douglas could hope and pray Becton keeps it together for the next eight months, but how could he be at all confident in that belief? 

Forget it.  Part of the non-SOJF mindset is trusting management and players to somehow, magically, find themselves and succeed in the upcoming season.  Mims and Becton will bust out.  But some will still find excuses and blame everything under the sun except that the players/GMs/HCs  just did not meet the challenge.

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Fair - but why would random executives around the league know what the Jets plans are with respect to Becton? And, more importantly, why would we trust what some random executives not in the building have to say over what we saw the Jets do with our own eyes on draft day? (i.e. pass on the best tackle prospect in the draft for a corner and not take a tackle until round 4 - presumably to be a backup who may be able to start a year from now)

This is my major complaint about the media. In addition to being gossipy trolls, their gossip columns usually don't go anywhere. Rumors from other teams executives aren't really news worthy.