"I am extremely excited to be with the Lions"- J. Williams

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

You see, this is what is wrong with this fan base. Losing is acceptable if we look good losing. To me it just means we went from being a dumpster fire to a bad team. 

The team has to improve, but you have to be realistic as well.  There was hardly any NFL talent on the roster after Mac, but there were a ton of bad contracts.

The bad money is off the books, the talent level is improving.  This year, there will be a LOT of 1st and 2nd year players starting.  I am hoping in their division they can go 2-4, they are not beating the Bills, hope to split with Miami and the Pats.    If the team goes from 4-13 to a 7-8 win team, the offense and defense improve, then that is a quality year.

If you thought ANY GM in the history of the NFL could have taken over that mess and made a playoff team in 2 years, that's fantasy land.   My biggest complaint with JD was and is Becton over Wirfs.  I didn't like it then, I still don't, but I hope it works out.

13 hours ago, FootballLove said:

I always feel bad for these kids coming out of college and starting their professional careers. They've been interviewed by half the league. They've spent time with the coaching staff, the GM, maybe the Owner. They've walked through the sparkling new buildings....weight rooms, study rooms, recovery rooms with massage tables, the cafeteria. 

They HAVE to have landed an absolute favorite they HOPE HOPE HOPE drafts them. And at the same time, they've decided to PRAY PRAY PRAY certain teams DON'T draft them. The thought of spending the next 4 or 5 years in some absolute sh*thole is soul crushing.

Then the draft starts....the team they want doesn't pick them...the team they HATE calls their name. And they have to act super excited to be going there.

Uggg. I couldn't do it. Hats off to these kids that pull it off.

Lebron James Reaction GIF 

I just have a higher bar for being a good player than you. You actually thought there was nothing to wrry about when Zach was throwing 5 yard passes in the dirt last season. 

No, you have no clue how to judge a player and better yet, who to blame.  Because there has to be someone at fault.  If AVT gets his knee rolled up on and misses the year, you'll blame JD.  JDs to blame for Moore getting injured too.  Because why, he doesnt have a history that you can blame him for ignoring.  How many passes did all of you count that he threw into the dirt and what exactly does it mean?   Especially since he wasnt doing it late.  Did it bother you when Mahomes was doing it in the playoffs, like you know, every QB in he NFL does.  

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

I do not agree with the contention that JD's tenure with the Jets relies solely on Zach Wilson.  In fact, everything about Woody and his history in dealing with GMs and coaches indicates the contrary. 1st, there is zero support or any other evidentiary reason to think that his job with the Jets is based entirely on the success or lack thereof of Zach Wilson.  Where in the world did that come from anyway other than some anxiety riddled fans' personal opinions?  2nd, Woody and the Jets simply have never fired a GM or coach on the basis of a single failure, be it 1st round QB, 2d round Qb or any other individual player drafted.  In fact, the opposite has been true ever since Woody acquired ownership.  Woody and the Jets have been abundantly patient with bad GMs and bad HCs.  There is absolutely nothing out there to indicate any change at all.  

Just because one wants that to be true, doesn't make it true.

Hypothetical:  If Wilson poops the bed in 2022, and the Jets finish 3-14, is it your opinion that JD remains secure, with no hot seat, and is simply free to draft another QB in the 2023 Draft?  At that point his career record (excluding the year everyone seems to want to exclude for him) would be 9-41.  

Are the Johnsons just going to keep on believ'in with a 9-41 record over three seasons?

Now, to be clear, I don't think this (3-14) will happen.  But if it does, do you truly think there is no ramifications, and we just roll on into 2023 with a new JD QB?

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Hypothetical:  If Wilson poops the bed in 2022, and the Jets finish 3-14, is it your opinion that JD remains secure, with no hot seat, and is simply free to draft another QB in the 2023 Draft?  At that point his career record (excluding the year everyone seems to want to exclude for him) would be 9-41.  

Are the Johnsons just going to keep on believ'in with a 9-41 record over three seasons?

Now, to be clear, I don't think this (3-14) will happen.  But if it does, do you truly think there is no ramifications, and we just roll on into 2023 with a new JD QB?

What other worst case scenarios can you come up with?

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

yep.  A vet

@Jet Nut if you want to debate, i am happy to do so but if your answers are lol emojis, we have nothing to talk about. I rate that kind of response the same as the guy that yells Eff You from his car and drives away. You want to be that guy, fine but I don't  have to be the other one. 

You see an overall abundance of emojis?  Interesting

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

I do not agree with the contention that JD's tenure with the Jets relies solely on Zach Wilson.  In fact, everything about Woody and his history in dealing with GMs and coaches indicates the contrary. 1st, there is zero support or any other evidentiary reason to think that his job with the Jets is based entirely on the success or lack thereof of Zach Wilson.  Where in the world did that come from anyway other than some anxiety riddled fans' personal opinions?  2nd, Woody and the Jets simply have never fired a GM or coach on the basis of a single failure, be it 1st round QB, 2d round Qb or any other individual player drafted.  In fact, the opposite has been true ever since Woody acquired ownership.  Woody and the Jets have been abundantly patient with bad GMs and bad HCs.  There is absolutely nothing out there to indicate any change at all.  

Just because one wants that to be true, doesn't make it true.

He has 2 drafts where he stockpiles talent and then firing him because a FQB doesnt work out might be the dumbest thing this team could do.  Resetting everything because ZW doesnt develop is laughable.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

yep.  A vet

giphy.gif

I can't imagine our Owner considering three full seasons (and a half) as a Mulligan with no ramifications, but ok.

That would be a massive amount of faith the Johnsons would have in JD to ignore the W/L record completely in such a way. 

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Ok, we are done. I don't  have patience for this kind of debate.

Well, do you or dont you?  I'm trying to figure it out and whats so troublesome with asking a question that doesnt get you angry for some reason

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No, you have no clue how to judge a player and better yet, who to blame.  Because there has to be someone at fault.  If AVT gets his knee rolled up on and misses the year, you'll blame JD.  JDs to blame for Moore getting injured too.  Because why, he doesnt have a history that you can blame him for ignoring.  How many passes did all of you count that he threw into the dirt and what exactly does it mean?   Especially since he wasnt doing it late.  Did it bother you when Mahomes was doing it in the playoffs, like you know, every QB in he NFL does.  

Ok, first off, there are probably close to a half dozen posts from me defending Becton for getting rolled on so it isn't  me who doesn’t  have a clue. Moore got hurt because he was a slot playing as the #1 option in his rookie season. That was in a way due to the personnel on the team. You can decide for yourself  who is at fault. And you didn't  just compare Wilson to Mahomes, did you? 

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

giphy.gif

I can't imagine our Owner considering three full seasons (and a half) as a Mulligan with no ramifications, but ok.

That would be a massive amount of faith the Johnsons would have in JD to ignore the W/L record completely in such a way. 

The QB is going into his 2nd season, not 3 and a half seasons.  JD didnt draft Darnold

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

Ok, first off, there are probably close to a half dozen posts from me defending Becton for getting rolled on so it isn't  me who doesn’t  have a clue. Moore got hurt because he was a slot playing as the #1 option in his rookie season. That was in a way due to the personnel on the team. You can decide for yourself  who is at fault. And you didn't  just compare Wilson to Mahomes, did you? 

Becton was an example, if AVT suffers the same injury in year 2 why isnt it comparable? Why is Becton getting rolled up on defensible and Moore being injured for a few weeks make him a bad pick?  

Youre reasoning is be was the #1 option so thats why he was injured?  And its JDs fault that Davis, Chrower etc got hurt forcing Moore to be used more?  Really, thats the take?  Someone should have warned Cincy.

And to clarify, a talented player, a good pick, doesnt become garbage because he missed a couple of games and still manage to lead his team in receiving yardage, etc.  

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He has 2 drafts where he stockpiles talent and then firing him because a FQB doesnt work out might be the dumbest thing this team could do.  Resetting everything because ZW doesnt develop is laughable.  

yep, and that it's Woody who would be making that decision , it's even more unlikely. 
THis is all just silly.  Really. 

• Upvote 1

It's very tough to grade JD's first year.  He inherited Macc's FA signings including Bell and Mosley and draftees including Polite, Edoga and Wesco.  I'm not sure how many of Macc's scouts he retained.  They had no real analytics group before he arrived.  Turning around a failed franchise like the Jets is almost as hard as trying to turn a battleship.  Decades worth of dysfunction to address.  We focus on what's in front of the curtain (Becton over Wirfs) and don't see a lot behind the curtain. It's not like a well run machine where a quick tear down and rebuild is possible.  I'm not sure what people were expecting him to do...

On 5/4/2022 at 3:24 PM, More Cowbell said:

And you didn't  just compare Wilson to Mahomes, did you? 

That when other QBs dont get criticized for doing what all QBs do, yes I did

Sorry that confused you 

7 minutes ago, Dcat said:

yep, and that it's Woody who would be making that decision , it's even more unlikely. 
THis is all just silly.  Really. 

Just as silly as continuing to ignore the reasons why we didnt have enough talent to have a better record.  Because a Macc like 10 win season with a shltty roster would be preferable 

14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Becton was an example, if AVT suffers the same injury in year 2 why isnt it comparable? Why is Becton getting rolled up on defensible and Moore being injured for a few weeks make him a bad pick?  

Youre reasoning is be was the #1 option so thats why he was injured?  And its JDs fault that Davis, Chrower etc got hurt forcing Moore to be used more?  Really, thats the take?  Someone should have warned Cincy.

And to clarify, a talented player, a good pick, doesnt become garbage because he missed a couple of games and still manage to lead his team in receiving yardage, etc.  

Ok, you are rambling at this point

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, FootballLove said:

I always feel bad for these kids coming out of college and starting their professional careers. They've been interviewed by half the league. They've spent time with the coaching staff, the GM, maybe the Owner. They've walked through the sparkling new buildings....weight rooms, study rooms, recovery rooms with massage tables, the cafeteria. 

They HAVE to have landed an absolute favorite they HOPE HOPE HOPE drafts them. And at the same time, they've decided to PRAY PRAY PRAY certain teams DON'T draft them. The thought of spending the next 4 or 5 years in some absolute sh*thole is soul crushing.

Then the draft starts....the team they want doesn't pick them...the team they HATE calls their name. And they have to act super excited to be going there.

Uggg. I couldn't do it. Hats off to these kids that pull it off.

Pretty positive the Jets are one those holes..