Jump to content

Is this the beginning of the end of "Same Old Jets"?


Recommended Posts

Every year we think we are better right after the draft and then we are usually let down after the first month. 

Let's get to the season and hope for a leap forward. 

We had that run with Rex, we weren't the same old Jets, then we reverted back.

Don't mean to be a Debbie downer, just want to be realistic and not get disappointed again. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

I thought Mangini was the beginning of the end of SOJ

then I thought the same thing about Rex

since then, I need to see a minimum of three straight winning seasons before buying in 100%

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No. NYJ will always be the same old Jets, but hopefully that will mean something different in the coming years.

"And just as always, the same old Jets came around and won another playoff game"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Mike Tannenbaum was an awful GM.  Once he ran out of money, he had no clue how to build a roster.

There is no smoke and mirrors here w/ Joe Douglas.  He is building this for long term sustained success.  We are becoming the Baltimore ravens/pittsburgh steelers right before your eyes.

The Jets will have 10-15 years of dominance and win multiple Super Bowls.  And no, I am not saying this post 2022 draft.  I have been saying this for a year now.

If you look at how Joe Douglas is operating its genius.  Hes a GMing savant.

I agree with this.  I've been saying pretty much the same thing for awhile.  Although not saying about winning multiple Super Bowls.  That could only happen in another dimension of another universe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Alka said:

I agree with this.  I've been saying pretty much the same thing for awhile.  Although not saying about winning multiple Super Bowls.  That could only happen in another dimension of another universe.

I have viewed 14,000,605 timelines.  It happened one time.

image.png

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Is what you predict going to happen? Who knows

the facts on the ground are they haven't won a division game in 3 years

and they are playing in the toughest division again 

dont tell me with sweet cheap words.

show me, with wins.  

 

I agree with you on everything except for the toughest division which is the AFC West

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Most of you young folks can't imagine how many times I've heard this over the decades.   A decent draft.  Super Bowl.  An undefeated pre-season?  Super Bowl.  We win two in a row in the regular season?  Super Bowl.

Please, do yourself a favor and just wait until we actually play some games before making any determination of this team's success.  Right now, it's nothing but speculation, hope and potential.   The last two which usually crash and burn with the team's ineptitude.

Isnt the whole point of going on message boards and listening to sport talk radio/ 'media experts' is to listen,discuss, and dissect this crap ?   Hell, thats why im on here....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jet hustle said:

Isnt the whole point of going on message boards and listening to sport talk radio/ 'media experts' is to listen,discuss, and dissect this crap ?   Hell, thats why im on here....

Absolutely.  That's what I'm doing.  

Not telling anyone not to talk about stuff.   Just pump the brakes and be aware of our tragic history when we all thought the upcoming season was going to be all roses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

If Woody stays out of JD's way and JD knows what he is doing, it will indeed be the end of the same old Jets.  Again.  For how long is for how long Woody stays out of the kitchen. 

That indeed is the wildcard.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Far too early to make any predictions until we figure out what Zach Wilson is.  As great as this offseason has been, from an offensive perspective, we're only at the point where ZW should finally be surrounded by competence.  Now we need to see what he can do with it.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jj71787 said:

Every year we think we are better right after the draft and then we are usually let down after the first month. 

Let's get to the season and hope for a leap forward. 

We had that run with Rex, we weren't the same old Jets, then we reverted back.

Don't mean to be a Debbie downer, just want to be realistic and not get disappointed again. 

I am with you.  I like what the team is doing. Seems to be heading in the right direction, but I need to see it on the field in the regular season before I will let myself buy in.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Far too early to make any predictions until we figure out what Zach Wilson is.  As great as this offseason has been, from an offensive perspective, we're only at the point where ZW should finally be surrounded by competence.  Now we need to see what he can do with it.

Look, if that kid plays like he did last year?  The season will be a calamity and he'll be run out of town.   After Sanchez, Geno and Darnold's disastrous tenures, no one is going to want to hear/accept "wait until next season" from team ownership/management.   It will be mob and pitchfork time for Mr. Wilson.

pitchfork-gif.gif

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You know, they say 3 times is a charm.  I thought so when Parcells took over, then again when Ryan took over.  In fact, my late friend John Savage (when we discussed Ryan on the phone) thought that Ryan would win us at least two SB's.  So, I like this two headed group of Douglas and Saleh and I really like this last draft and the direction JD is taking this team...he's torn it down and building it up in a way that will be competitive for years to come...I just hope I'm around to see it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

You know, they say 3 times is a charm.  I thought so when Parcells took over, then again when Ryan took over.  In fact, my late friend John Savage (when we discussed Ryan on the phone) thought that Ryan would win us at least two SB's.  So, I like this two headed group of Douglas and Saleh and I really like this last draft and the direction JD is taking this team...he's torn it down and building it up in a way that will be competitive for years to come...I just hope I'm around to see it.

I love how people get so optimistic that they predict multiple SB titles.

Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers have 1 SB each.  And for all of his greatness, even Patrick Mahomes only has 1 SB title (at least as of right now).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jj71787 said:

Every year we think we are better right after the draft and then we are usually let down after the first month. 

Let's get to the season and hope for a leap forward. 

We had that run with Rex, we weren't the same old Jets, then we reverted back.

Don't mean to be a Debbie downer, just want to be realistic and not get disappointed again. 

Your take is completely valid. I've been a fan since 86 and I'm well aware of this team's tragic history, so I get it.  Yes, the Jets have to prove it on the field but everything I've seen so far from this regime they are definitely headed in the right direction.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You do not have to wait if you pull back the curtain and see what is behind.

All these hopes and dreams you had in the past were smoke and mirrors.

Ill start from 1998:

Parcells - would have won a super bowl with us but he quit

Herm/Bradway - if you were fooled by these 2, shame on you.  Edwards was a good rah rah guy but a pretty bad head coach on Sunday and waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to conservative.  Bradway as a gm was average at best.

Mangini/Tannenbaum - Mangini was just mimicking Bellichek and after 1 year of success, he went down the tubes pretty quick,  I cant imagine you were fooled here.

Rex/Tannenbaum - Rex's rah rah attitude plus tannebaum spending like a drunken sailor always had a quick expiration date.  I cant imagine when Rex was at the podium in a wig dressed as his brother you said to yourself, "Heres a guy that is going to be here for 15 years and win multiple super bowls."

Bowles/McCagnan - After a year of fitzmagic, this hit the fan real fast.  I cant imagine anyone was fooled here.  Terrible coach and worse gm.

Adam Gase - if anyone thought this clown was the answer.........................my goodness.

So as you can see, if you believed in real success and super bowls, you really have no one to blame but yourself.  The front office structure and coach was never in place for sustained success.

We now have the best young gm/head coach tandem in the league.  We have more young talent on our roster then any team in the league.  We have zero cap issues that will get us in trouble down the road.  We have an owner who will do whatever said gm/coach ask of him.  Money is no obstacle.

If you guys can see how this is different from the regimes over the last 25 years then I do not know what to tell you.

I 100% have faith in Douglas, but I’m still not sure on saleh. It seems like the players love him, but he hasn’t been coaching for that long and may need some time to grow into the role 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only thing that changes franchise narratives is a Franchise QB.  

Joe D and Saleh can only make us respectable… which they are doing… and providing hope.

A Franchise QB is needed for sustained success… 

A middle of the pack QB that catches fire to make a drought ending SB run also works for me.

With league average QB play, we would have won a lot more games over the last 5 years.   But we wouldn’t be as close to being a perennially competitive team as we are now.  We at least have a few more paths to a Super Bowl now regardless of what happens with Zach.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Mike Tannenbaum was an awful GM.  Once he ran out of money, he had no clue how to build a roster.

There is no smoke and mirrors here w/ Joe Douglas.  He is building this for long term sustained success.  We are becoming the Baltimore ravens/pittsburgh steelers right before your eyes.

The Jets will have 10-15 years of dominance and win multiple Super Bowls.  And no, I am not saying this post 2022 draft.  I have been saying this for a year now.

If you look at how Joe Douglas is operating its genius.  Hes a GMing savant.

Not the Thank-you JD Thank-you rah rah that you've been, but pretty much been saying the same thing about him. He is doing what I believe we've needed on this team for a long time. Someone who knows how to build a football team. It may not be as pretty as people think, but you got to start in the trenches and work your way out. He grew up in a system that didn't use FA to build a team, but to enhance it. A lot of people on this board have been pissed at him because he doesn't go for the big expensive toys.  I'm fine with that, because the draft is where you live and die in this league. He has been lambasted for his 2020 draft, but I don't think he had the same type of collaboration with Gase as he's having with Saleh. Still were his picks, so we can't say it was all Gase fault. But I'm sure people can see the difference in the picks and type of players that JD and Saleh are bringing in as opposed to JD and Gase. Welcome him with open arms JETS fans, because I think JD will be here for a long time.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/4/2022 at 6:07 PM, DoomProphet said:

Your take is completely valid. I've been a fan since 86 and I'm well aware of this team's tragic history, so I get it.  Yes, the Jets have to prove it on the field but everything I've seen so far from this regime they are definitely headed in the right direction.

I really hope so 🤞🏻

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, frankiepapa said:

But here's the question, didn't Favre get traded? We very well may have traded or cut him if we drafted him...

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
 

Yes he did, oh and I could totally have seen that! 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do it on the field first, because it doesn't matter until they show out. But yes, it absolutely feels like the time is at hand. Competent leadership and actual talent on the depth chart. If it were any team but the Jets, the media would already be on the bandwagon. As it is, I'm glad they're not. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...