Is this the beginning of the end of "Same Old Jets"?

On 5/6/2022 at 2:03 PM, frankiepapa said:

But here's the question, didn't Favre get traded? We very well may have traded or cut him if we drafted him...

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

IIRC it was Ron Wolf who traded for him.  The same Ron Wolf that was a Jet exec the year we missed on Favre by 1 pick.  So there's a real chance that the Jets would've been hesitant to trade him.  Or if we had kept Wolf, there's a good chance we would've been the team that traded for him.

EDIT:

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/08/06/ron-wolf-recalls-how-he-pulled-off-trade-brett-favre/886426002/

The story has been written often about how Wolf, then an assistant to New York Jets general manager Dick Steinberg, had Favre ranked as the No. 1 player in the 1991 draft and tried desperately to move into the first round to select him (the Jets didn't have a first-round pick).

Though Wolf had to sit back and watch his close friend and former Raiders associate, Ken Herock, steal Favre with the 33rd selection in the draft, one spot ahead of the Jets at No. 34, he never lost hope that one day Favre would be his. For the next year, Wolf kept close tabs on Favre and when he was hired to be the Packers' general manger on Nov. 27, 1991, he made obtaining Favre a priority.

• Upvote 1

Mike Tannenbaum was an awful GM.  Once he ran out of money, he had no clue how to build a roster.
There is no smoke and mirrors here w/ Joe Douglas.  He is building this for long term sustained success.  We are becoming the Baltimore ravens/pittsburgh steelers right before your eyes.
The Jets will have 10-15 years of dominance and win multiple Super Bowls.  And no, I am not saying this post 2022 draft.  I have been saying this for a year now.
If you look at how Joe Douglas is operating its genius.  Hes a GMing savant.

Mike T was an amazing GM one of the best is our history.

He didn’t run out of money he loaded up and retooled.

The web didn’t work out and we fell apart

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Trotter said:

Great dogs in your picture.

I miss my goldens everyday.

Thanks, I can understand. Such a great breed. These are my family's first. The older guy is 13 and is having trouble standing. Dont even want to think of him not being around. 

17 hours ago, funaz said:

Disagree. I didn't love the way he constantly traded up and left us with no depth. I remember there being one year where it was supposed to be a "deep draft" and we barely had any picks while Belichick had a bunch.

Admittedly, he did have some success here and made a few great moves.  And JD also was very aggressive with trade-ups this draft and I loved the moves.  But I don't think it's a long-term strategy for success.  We've had far worse GMs than Tanny.  On the whole, I'd say he was "good" but I'm not going to say he was "amazing".

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, funaz said:

He was great and being bold to get proven commodities.  Had two excellent drafts as well. But he liked shiny things and didn’t know how to build a sustainable roster, I still love the guy and when it was good it was great 

23 hours ago, funaz said:

Mike T was an accountant who let his head coaches pick the players....I always cringe when he gives his opinions of players on TV.

On 5/6/2022 at 8:51 PM, funaz said:

He was a crackhead.  Always trading up and always overspending (Santonio Holmes, Sanchez's 2nd contract) or making bad trades for vets (Lito Sheppard), leading to a top-heavy roster with terrible depth.  And much like is true for crackheads, it's fun for a short time, then the party ends in crash & burn style.

If he had been really good at nailing his mid-late round picks, it could have worked a little longer.  But he wasn't.  In 7 drafts he took 5 quality mid-late round players (Leon Washington, Matt Slauson, Bilal Powell, Jeremy Kerley, Demario Davis), and none of them played premium positions (Kerley was a slot receiver, which is not premium).  This made his strategy untenable.  Especially since he paired that with far too many 1st/2nd round busts in that span as well (Gholston, Sanchez, Kyle Wilson, Vlad Ducasse, Coples, Stephen Hill).  

Just look at some of the terrible/aging players who were getting significant playing time for the 2012 Jets, Tannenbaum's final season:

• FS Yeremiah Bell (16 starts):  Age 34, 0 INT's, 2 Pass Deflections)
  • TE Jeff Cumberland (12 starts):  29 catches, 359 yards, 3 TDs
  • ILB Bart Scott (13 starts):  Age 32, 36 solo tackles, 0 FFs, 2.5 sacks
  • CB Kyle Wilson (15 starts):  1 INT, 4 Pass Deflections
  • OLB Bryan Thomas (10 starts):  Age 33, 2.5 Sacks
  • WR Stephen Hill (8 starts):  21 catches, 252 yards, 3 TDs
  • RB Shonn Greene (14 starts):  3.9 YPC
  • WR Chaz Schillens (15 games, 6 starts):  28 catches, 289 yards, 2 TDs
  • WR Clyde Gates (11 games, 2 starts):  16 catches, 224 yards, 0 TDs
  • LB Garrett McIntyre (16 games, 4 starts):  24 solo tackles, 3.5 sacks

8 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Disagree. I didn't love the way he constantly traded up and left us with no depth. I remember there being one year where it was supposed to be a "deep draft" and we barely had any picks while Belichick had a bunch.

Admittedly, he did have some success here and made a few great moves.  And JD also was very aggressive with trade-ups this draft and I loved the moves.  But I don't think it's a long-term strategy for success.  We've had far worse GMs than Tanny.  On the whole, I'd say he was "good" but I'm not going to say he was "amazing".

Tannenbaum built a good team and when we got close, he went all in for a SB.  Didn't quite work out, and he certainly made his share of mistakes, but I still think we were a Kris Jenkins injury away from the SB in 2010, and maybe even 09 as well. 

He was a good GM who mortgaged the future to try to win a Bowl and fell short.  We win another game or two in 2009 or 10, and there woud be a statue of him outside of Met Life.

• Upvote 1

I don’t know but the sponsors have noticed. After Darnold was drafted his big sponsor was a sock company I’ve never heard of. 
Ruckert already has Kay jewelers