Travon Walker contract details released

Jaguars No. 1 Pick Travon Walker's Contract Details Set

The parameters of Travon Walker's future contract with the Jaguars have officially been set.

JOHN SHIPLEY

20 HOURS AGO

The Jacksonville Jaguars will inevitably sign their rookie class in the coming days, weeks and months, but we know in advance what No. 1 overall pick Travon Walker's deal will look like.

According to ESPN's Field Yates, the value for Walker's eventual deal will look like the following: 4-year deal with $37,371,621 guaranteed with a $24,360,088 signing bonus, along with the standard fifth-year option.

Walker was drafted No. 1 by the Jaguars last Thursday, making him the first non-quarterback taken at No. 1 since Myles Garrett in 2017 and just the fourth defensive end selected at No. 1 since Mario Williams in 2006. In that span, the only other players who were No. 1 picks were offensive tackles Jake Long (2008) and Eric Fisher (2013).

"He played all the way up and down the line of scrimmage, anywhere from a zero technique all the way to a seven technique," Jaguars general manager Trent Baalke said after picking Walker. "Played in the two point off the edge, which he's going to be used a lot in our scheme. That versatility, ability to stop the run, rush the passer, there's a lot of work to do, but there's a lot of talent to work with."

"Yeah, really just to echo Trent's remarks, too, just his athleticism, his length, his ability to bend the corner. The thing that you see with this guy is his versatility. He played all up and down the defensive line at Georgia," Jaguars head coach Doug Pederson said. "Just a tremendous kid. He's going to be great for the locker room. Really, I think, for us, too, just getting him in here, getting him going as soon as we can, and I think getting him in one position and letting him really get good at one position, and that's where we feel he's really going to make the most impact for us."

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

Thank you Jaguars. You set the whole draft in motion for the Jets. We appreciate it.

My son was trying to explain how that set everything else  in motion, I didn’t understand it but pretty sure most everyone else  here would.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Goodness gracious this man is going to be such a colossal bust 

didn’t work hard when he was playing for his NFL future

Now the Jags have handed him 10 lifetimes worth of money before taking a single snap

What. Didn't work hard. That one of reasons he moved up draft board. 

1 hour ago, Bruce Harper said:

This may be one of the worst draft picks ever.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

According to Cimini the Jets would have taken him at #4 and I’ve also heard Detroit would have grabbed him at #2. 

We’ve seen guys like Rashawn Gary become prolific players after an underwhelming collegiate career. 

I think most teams preferred Hutchinson (also a great athlete and more production), but the 49ers guys (Baalke) all seem obsessed with arm length. Hutch has short arms. 

Unfortunately it wasn’t the best year to have the #1 pick. 

25 minutes ago, LongTimeJetFan said:

According to Cimini the Jets would have taken him at #4 and I’ve also heard Detroit would have grabbed him at #2. 

We’ve seen guys like Rashawn Gary become prolific players after an underwhelming collegiate career. 

I think most teams preferred Hutchinson (also a great athlete and more production), but the 49ers guys (Baalke) all seem obsessed with arm length. Hutch has short arms. 

That's why I also really like the Gardner pick at 4. A clean prospect with production in college to back it up. 

36 minutes ago, LongTimeJetFan said:

J.J.Watt didn't put up the sack numbers in college that he did in NFL. Not even close. He was unleashed in the NFL.Walker will be unleashed up here also