Lions' and Jets' draft day offers for Deebo

Sorry if already posted... but Rich Eisen reports the details of both the Lions and the Jets' draft day offers to the 49ers for Deeeee-bo.

(For some reason, can no longer paste in this forum using the original format...  royally sucks... please fix)

Article: 

While on The Rich Eisen Show this Monday, Rapoport said the Lions offered the 49ers a first-round pick and more for Samuel. 

"The Lions offer was, I think, a one and a three, and the 49ers didn't view that as a good enough offer [either]," Rapoport told Eisen. "And they wanted to keep the player anyway, so they just didn't trade him."

The Jets, meanwhile, offered pick No. 10 and a fifth-rounder to the 49ers for Samuel and the No. 61 pick.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The weird thing about the 9ers is that with a championship type time they gave up so much draft capital for a project QB.

I was always surprised they didn’t get more flack for that trade. 

they basically need Lance to be a star for that to work out. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Good offer by JD. #10 is a serious asset. We're all fine he didn't offer the kitchen sink. Plus the more we learn about Garrett W, the more excited we are.

Interesting to see how things end up with 49ers not being willing to trade Deebo. If Deebo's brother has anything to say, 9ers are going to know he is not happy.

Well...I now am looking at it from hindsight.  I had no idea that JD was going all out for quality over quantity.  Which is what he's done with this draft.

If it was Sauce-Deebo-JJ-Hall...yea...I'd be ok with that.  Or would it have been just Sauce and Deebo only?  Having traded away a good chunk of the rest of the draft cache?  Then no.

I like those extra two shiny bright toys...JJ and Hall...way too much...to give them up now for Deebo.  Jets got four 1st round impact talented players.  All four can be dominant Pro Bowl types.  IMO...Jets needed this draft...the way it turned out. 

Jets also saved a good portion of that $25 Mil a year contract Jets would've dished out for Deebo.  Now that $10+ Mil or so...can be banked forward...to be part of another trade or signing...probably in 2023 offseason.  To help make this team more complete.

So I'm Glad the Deebo ship has sailed.  Jets instead got 4 Horses Of The Apocalypse...to bludgeon the opposition with.  And the cherry on top...home grown Ruckert to boot.  And added some depth in the trenches...players who could be starters in a year or two.

Be glad with what the Jets hauled in...I am for sure.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

15 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

Well...I now am looking at it from hindsight.  I had no idea that JD was going all out for quality over quantity.  Which is what he's done with this draft.

If it was Sauce-Deebo-JJ-Hall...yea...I'd be ok with that.  Or would it have been just Sauce and Deebo only?  Having traded away a good chunk of the rest of the draft cache?  Then no.

I like those extra two shiny bright toys...JJ and Hall...way too much...to give them up now for Deebo.  Jets got four 1st round impact talented players.  All four can be dominant Pro Bowl types.  IMO...Jets needed this draft...the way it turned out. 

Jets also saved a good portion of that $25 Mil a year contract Jets would've dished out for Deebo.  Now that $10+ Mil or so...can be banked forward...to be part of another trade or signing...probably in 2023 offseason.  To help make this team more complete.

So I'm Glad the Deebo ship has sailed.  Jets instead got 4 Horses Of The Apocalypse...to bludgeon the opposition with.  And the cherry on top...home grown Ruckert to boot.  And added some depth in the trenches...players who could be starters in a year or two.

Be glad with what the Jets hauled in...I am for sure.

Yeah, I was definitely straggling the fence on any of these blockbuster trades, but that was looking at the player vs. what’s behind door #2. Now that the draft is in the books, I’m good. If Garrett Wilson struggles out of the gate, though, I imagine those unconsummated trades will be brought back up quite a bit. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

I was always surprised they didn’t get more flack for that trade. 

they basically need Lance to be a star for that to work out. 

Yeah. People here have said if Wilson busts JD should be fired… well then what about Lynch? 

56 minutes ago, Warfish said:

51MQVNlOBZL._PIbundle-48,TopRight,0,0_SX

Of course it was a serious offer, and a fair one.  

Really dude, you don't have to lick JD's feet in every thread with counter-factual claims.

JD made a serious (and fair) offer, same as he did for Hill.  It was declined.

And we got Wilson, which is 100% fine by me.  Nothing needs defended or otherwise spittle-washed with silly "didn't want that WR anyway" claims.

Of course JD wanted Deebo, that is obvious.  He just wasn't going to overpay to get him sitting at #4 and #10, rightfully so.

You think asking for a 2nd back in the Deebo trade was fair?  HAHHAHAHAAHA.  Its an insulting offer from Joe D.

Joe D knew that asking for a 2nd back killed any chance of that deal getting done.  Thats why he did it. 

• WTF? 1

9 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You think asking for a 2nd back in the Deebo trade was fair?  HAHHAHAHAAHA.  Its an insulting offer from Joe D.

Joe D knew that asking for a 2nd back killed any chance of that deal getting done.  Thats why he did it. 

stop GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Hex said:

They won't, and they will be fine with that because then they keep deebo

Can they really though? Yeah I know he is under contract and they have the franchise tag, but he makes so little in 2022 that a holdout up to 10 weeks just so he gets his year of eligibility is almost trivial compared to the ultimate contract he will get and the time off might increase his contract value. And then the threat of holding out under the tag becomes even more real and then SF is faced with another holdout, fan animosity and the spectre of only getting a compensatory pick. If it really is not about money with Deebo then SF is in a terrible spot with very little leverage at all.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Jets had 0 interest in Deebo.  That wasnt a serious offer.

The #10 + 5th Round pick for Deebo and the #61 was the equivalent of approximately the #16 overall pick in the Draft.  It was a serious offer.

But trading Deebo means the 49ers are doing the exact opposite for their 2nd year QB (Lance) that the Jets are trying to do for their 2nd year QB, surround him with talent to grow and succeed.

The 49ers are in an interesting spot.  They are both Super Bowl competitive as they stand right now AND they're trying to transition from Jimmy G to Trey Lance in the right way.  BOTH of those are reasons you don't trade away Deebo.  They're not a rebuilding team.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Can they really though? Yeah I know he is under contract and they have the franchise tag, but he makes so little in 2022 that a holdout up to 10 weeks just so he gets his year of eligibility is almost trivial compared to the ultimate contract he will get and the time off might increase his contract value. And then the threat of holding out under the tag becomes even more real and then SF is faced with another holdout, fan animosity and the spectre of only getting a compensatory pick. If it really is not about money with Deebo then SF is in a terrible spot with very little leverage at all.

That's a good point there.

On 5/4/2022 at 3:24 PM, PS17 said:

That’s not surprising. Getting Deebo and a 2nd for #10 and a dart throw would have been a great deal for both sides, but better for the Jets. John Lynch is now holding the bag. 

I’d rather have Wilson so I’m glad it was rejected 

• Sympathy 1

On 5/4/2022 at 3:31 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

Jets had 0 interest in Deebo.  That wasnt a serious offer.

Why would you say that?  JD tried to trade for Tyreek Hill so why would it be outrageous for him to try to trade for Deebo?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You would too if Jimmy G was your QB.  

Jimmy G is a good QB who has taken his team to Super Bowl and NFC  championship games. Elite no, but you can definitely win with him. I for one Don’t understand the hate for Garropolo 

• Upvote 1

Just now, CSNY said:

Jimmy G is a good QB who has taken his team to Super Bowls and NFC  championship games. Elite no, but you can definitely win with him. I for one Don’t understand the hate for Garropolo 

Saying Jimmy G "took" teams on those deep playoff runs is a bit of a stretch.  He's serviceable but little more.  A guy you're always looking to upgrade from.

On 5/4/2022 at 3:33 PM, UntouchableCrew said:

The weird thing about the 9ers is that with a championship type time they gave up so much draft capital for a project QB.

I'm convinced Lance wasn't who they traded up for but public pressure made them pivot off Jones.