Mike Maccagnan promise vs. Joe Douglas

A lot depends on Garrett Wilson becoming a legit weapon. I’m not as sold on him as a lot of others as a day 1 impact player. 

Id prefer an order group of targets for a young QB and a veteran QB for young WRs. I don’t think any of the WRs the Jets brought in are Jamaar Chase, Julio Jones, AJ Green, etc where it doesn’t matter. 

6 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Douglas would have never traded three 2nd round picks to move up 3 spots. Probably would have just picked at 6. 

Either way, you can't be taking that many DT's. 

And douglas definitely would not have traded before the draft.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, LongTimeJetFan said:

A lot depends on Garrett Wilson becoming a legit weapon. I’m not as sold on him as a lot of others as a day 1 impact player. 

Id prefer an order group of targets for a young QB and a veteran QB for young WRs. I don’t think any of the WRs the Jets brought in are Jamaar Chase, Julio Jones, AJ Green, etc where it doesn’t matter. 

Who would you suggest the Jets bring in instead of Wilson for WR? It was a major need and I don't feel like any other WR in the draft has more potential (but possibly the same) than Wilson. Seems like they tried to address it in FA, but it didn't work out.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

You drafted Sam Darnold to be the weapon the moment you used 4 high picks on him.  Macc was, obviously, an unmitigated disaster - but Sam Darnold's failings were his own.  If Wilson busts, we're okay, because we only used 1 pick on him and improved the roster elsewhere.

Plus, Joe Flacco won a super bowl because the team around him was good, and guess who we have on the roster!

• Upvote 1

Macc was a scout.  He scouted individual players, but never seemed to understand the team building aspect of being a GM.  Guys like Leonard Williams, Jamal Adams, Quinnen Williams.  May have been the best player on his board, but they were not guys who were going to significantly add to the win total for the team.  JD seems to understand team needs more than just talent evaluation.

But it all mens nothing if we don't start to win games this season.  No more excuses.

• Upvote 4

Moved up to draft a 20 year old, raw QB to be the Franchise QB onto a team with zero offensive talent.

Very next Pick; Nathan Sheppard, a 24 year old Canadian DT who played a year at Fort Hays State, an obscure Div II MAIA college in the 3rd round.

Ass.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

26 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Moved up to draft a 20 year old, raw QB to be the Franchise QB onto a team with zero offensive talent.

Very next Pick; Nathan Sheppard, a 24 year old Canadian DT who played a year at Fort Hays State, an obscure Div II MAIA college in the 3rd round.

Ass.

Lol that’s a great  summary of the entire Mac era and a perfect three letter word conclusion. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ZachEY said:

You drafted Sam Darnold to be the weapon the moment you used 4 high picks on him.  Macc was, obviously, an unmitigated disaster - but Sam Darnold's failings were his own.  If Wilson busts, we're okay, because we only used 1 pick on him and improved the roster elsewhere.

Not that I'm complaining about going with the top QB when they clearly needed to change QBs - even more so with Darnold viewed in hindsight on another team - but the bold depends on your point of view.

How many picks did SF surrender to move up to #3? I'm sure they'd have given up at least that much to move up to #2, and maybe more.

On the flip side we likely wouldn't have gotten a 2nd this year for Darnold, so that eats into it a little, but SF gave up a lot more than that. 

5 hours ago, LongTimeJetFan said:

I saw a really interesting thing on Wilson that sold me on him. Basically it said that Wilson is not like Ultra elite at a couple things like most Elite WRs that come to mind, but he is near ELITE at pretty much everything which gives him first a very low floor and a chance to be truly elite in the NFL like Top 5 as there is no weakness.

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not that I'm complaining about going with the top QB when they clearly needed to change QBs - even more so with Darnold viewed in hindsight on another team - but the bold depends on your point of view.

How many picks did SF surrender to move up to #3? I'm sure they'd have given up at least that much to move up to #2, and maybe more.

On the flip side we likely wouldn't have gotten a 2nd this year for Darnold, so that eats into it a little, but SF gave up a lot more than that. 

We could have traded down and added a ton more talent, yes.  We'd also be without a QB this year, and last year with Darnold would have been completely untenable.  I wish Wilson was better, but knowing the circumstance and not having to trade up for him, I completely understand and respect the pick there.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, ZachEY said:

We could have traded down and added a ton more talent, yes.  We'd also be without a QB this year, and last year with Darnold would have been completely untenable.  I wish Wilson was better, but knowing the circumstance and not having to trade up for him, I completely understand and respect the pick there.

Like I said, I don't have complaints drafting him, but the team was in no less of a crappy QB situation in 2021 than they were in 2018. 

If they love a QB and he's there when we need one, then don't pussyfoot around with it and take him. Only thing worse than drafting a bust is missing out on a special QB - particularly one they really liked - because the GM was obsessed with draft pick value and prospect floor (see 2017).

If he's not all that then he's not all that. In the meantime they'd have treaded water for 2 more years with Darnold last year again, plus what if they then decided the QB they want is from this draft class? Or even worse, to dick around for yet another season to wait for the '23 class?

5 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I mean, we all know at this point Mac missed on 6 years worth of picks. Not sure we need to put any aspect of it under a microscope.

JD should be compared to his peers. Not to his predecessors.

It is to point out that Douglas was a good hire, even without the results as of now.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Ass.

This.  I still feel this was one of the worst picks in Jets history given its context, even though the guy is still on the Jets and does play (but is a penalty prone JAG).

• Upvote 1

JD has really done a great job and you just have to hope that Zach Wilson and Saleh are legit because it really looks like this team is in good hands w/ JD but those 2 decisions, will be weighted the most.  Fair or unfair, not many GM's survive getting those decisions wrong.

4 hours ago, Hex said:

Who would you suggest the Jets bring in instead of Wilson for WR? It was a major need and I don't feel like any other WR in the draft has more potential (but possibly the same) than Wilson. Seems like they tried to address it in FA, but it didn't work out.

I think you needed more of a sure thing. Wilson is good, but don’t see him (or any WR in this class) on the level of last years group (Chase, Waddle, Smith). 

The Jets also need to figure out a way to keep these guys healthy. Seemingly every season the entire WR room gets wiped out at some point and we are watching scrap heap guys like Jeff Smith get playing time. 

33 minutes ago, LongTimeJetFan said:

I think you needed more of a sure thing. Wilson is good, but don’t see him (or any WR in this class) on the level of last years group (Chase, Waddle, Smith). 

The Jets also need to figure out a way to keep these guys healthy. Seemingly every season the entire WR room gets wiped out at some point and we are watching scrap heap guys like Jeff Smith get playing time. 

I dont know. I know the jury us still out but Wilson's tape is crazy. He has a chance to be a star in my opinion. Definitely not as much hype as last years class though, that's for sure.