5 free agents Jets could target following NFL draft

By Tyler Calvaruso

The 2022 NFL draft is history and Joe Douglas has spent plenty of time evaluating the undrafted free agent market. Now it’s time for him to circle back to the veterans who remain available for the taking.

The Jets had a very strong draft due in large part to the additions of Ahmad Gardner, Garrett Wilson and Jermaine Johnson II in the first round. New York also made a handful of intriguing mid-round picks to bolster its depth. There are still some holes left over, though, and veteran free agents could fill them.

Here are five players Douglas could potentially target.

Jaquiski Tartt

The Jets didn’t add a safety in the draft and could still use some depth at the position. Elijah Riley, Lamarcus Joyner and Jason Pinnock are a solid trio, but none are clear-cut starters right now. The starting spot next to Jordan Whitehead is still up for grabs and Tartt could reasonably win it. He’s familiar with New York’s defensive scheme and made plenty of plays for Robert Saleh in San Francisco.

Kwon Alexander

New York opted not to draft a linebacker after the signing of Marcell Harris on April 21. There is still a need for depth at the position, though, and Alexander has already visited with the Jets this offseason. Alexander is no longer the rising star he once was with the Buccaneers, but he has scheme familiarity and experience to offer. It wouldn’t hurt to bring him in and let him compete for a spot.

Corey Peters

The defensive line is crowded after the additions of Jermaine Johnson II and Micheal Clemons, as well as the undrafted free agent signings C.J. Brewer and Savion Williams. Peters addresses a need, though, as the Jets don’t have a run-stuffing defensive tackle to supplement Sheldon Rankins and Quinnen Williams. Foley Fatukasi was a strong presence in the run game last season. Peters could replace him in that niche.

Sheldon Richardson

Richardson could play the same role as Peters as a run-stuffer on the interior of the Jets’ defensive line. Richardson reuniting with his former team might not be as crazy as it seems. The regime that drafted him is long gone. So are the off-the-field issues that plagued his first go-around with the organization. Richardson isn’t a dominant run defender anymore, but he’s still a capable one.

Will Fuller

The Jets probably don’t have much of a desire to add at wide receiver after drafting Garrett Wilson with the 10th pick. Fuller’s 2021 campaign with the Dolphins was also a disaster. But there was once a time when Fuller’s speed made him dangerous every time he split out wide, and it’s clear New York was coveting that kind of electricity at the position when it tried to trade for Tyreek Hill. It’s not likely by any stretch, but maybe the Jets decide to take a flier. If Fuller doesn’t impress, he can be released without any major financial ramifications.

• Haha 2

I’d like to see vet depth added at OT, DT, and WR.  

While I’m happy the FO showed faith in Becton on draft day, we need insurance and counting on a 4th round rookie, Edoga or McDermott is a bad move.

Unless Rankins bounces back this year, we’re thin at DT.  Counting Q, JFM, Thomas and Marshall. With the way Saleh rotates DL that’s not enough.

I’ve been a supporter of Mims, but with the way last year went down you can’t trust the dude heading into camp. ( Yeah yeah, off-season reports/ they mean sh*t.) Love the top 3, and Berrios has his role, but would love to see someone not named Jeff Smith or DJ Montgomery push Mims for the job.

Safety I think we’re okay. I’m intrigued by Pinnock - he played well at the end of the year, and with him, Joyner and Davis battling it out, May the best man win.

As far as LB, aside for a camp injury, I think the coaching staff likes 2021’s draft picks as depth and from all accounts love Quincy.  Would be surprised to see someone added here.

Curious to see if the Jets look at either or both Nate Herbig, the C/G waived by the Eagles, or Kingsley Keke, the DL waived by the Texans.  They had interest a while back in the latter, but not sure if he's redundant now after the draft.  And Herbig may fit a need.

• Upvote 1

I don't see it with Fuller. With the addition of 3 legit TEs, concern over the Jets' WR5 is down where it should be on an NFL offense. 

Richardson is interesting, though, and after the draft is where he found a home last year, too. 

I'd also like to see a swing tackle swap with McDermott losing a near-lock roster spot as the OT4 at worst. Even though I like what I'm reading/seeing of the rookie, and wouldn't like to see him get buried on the depth chart before he even sees the practice field this spring, I wouldn't cry over a backup with some NFL experience as a starter. 

• Sympathy 1

I think people should keep roster space in mind. 

Who are we cutting to keep Richardson if we sign him? Marshall? Shep? 

Are we adding Will Fuller to compete with Mims for the 5th WR position? I'd rather have a youngster compete with him or someone like Smith.   

• Sympathy 1

On 5/5/2022 at 10:25 AM, Sammybighead said:

no to will fuller. We don't need a guy that plays 2 games a year, no special teams and occupies a valuable roster spot.

On 5/5/2022 at 10:40 AM, Joe W. Namath said:

I can tell you that sheldon richardson and will fuller have 0 chance of being a jet.

On 5/5/2022 at 10:40 AM, slimjasi said:

The first two sentences about Fuller basically rule out Fuller 

On 5/5/2022 at 3:15 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't see it with Fuller. With the addition of 3 legit TEs, concern over the Jets' WR5 is down where it should be on an NFL offense. 

@CrazyCarl40 get 'em!

• Haha 1

I think Smith is ahead of Mims at this point. Mims is WR 6 and hanging by a thread. Inability (or unwillingness) to play Special Teams may cost him a roster spot.

Swing tackle and another LB should be the priorities.

I think we all agree on the positions that might need some reinforcements -LB, S, OT, DT- but I doubt we’ll see any pickups until after the mandatory spring camp at the earliest, unless someone catches their eye on the waiver wire like Herbig did. I think they like a lot of the young guys they have, especially on defense, and will want to see them in practice before making any other moves at their positions. 

• Upvote 2