One thing I really like about the Sauce and Breece picks…

1 hour ago, slats said:

I think they let people believe this, so it’s okay with me if you want to continue believing it. Ekwonu doesn’t fit in with the first four guys that they did take, and they ignored the OL until the fourth. I think they purposely let the Becton talk fester to provide a smokescreen, but that they had never given up on him - which an OL pick at #4 would’ve been a clear indication of. 

If they might’ve gone that way then, again, thank you Texans! I’d really rather this didn’t turn into another icky Icky thread. 

This X 100

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

I think they purposely let the Becton talk fester to provide a smokescreen, but that they had never given up on him - which an OL pick at #4 would’ve been a clear indication of. 

I've begun to think this too. Initially I thought Icky was going to be the pick but the fact that they didn't take OL until the 4th round definitely seems to reinforce that the front office (if not the coaching staff) still believes in and is counting on Becton.

If so re: smokescreen -- bravo.

It's also possible they realized Becton had low value so they couldn't sell low on him even if they wanted to and figured the best route was to just roll the dice and upgrade elsewhere.

2 hours ago, slats said:

Is how they both go completely against the narrative that we all know so well around here. Saleh’s system doesn’t value CBs, they draft them in the fifth round and turn them into Richard Sherman. This offense creates RBs, not the other way around. The system turns UDFAs into stars. And last year’s draft totally played into that narrative, taking a solid committee RB in the fourth, and a few DBs after that. 

JD went against type, too, allowing all you rubes who thought he’d take another first round OL only to find yourselves duped. 

Instead, they arguably grabbed the top players in the draft at both positions, using premium resources to do it. With Sauce, maybe the best player in the draft. What I like most about it is that it demonstrates flexibility from both the front office and the coaches. I have no idea how it came together, but they collectively decided that these two blue chip players were worth altering what they do. After signing a #1 CB in free agency, they supplant him with the fourth pick of the draft. A perfect fit in the scheme, too, just not the way they were expected to fill it. Jets went from one of the worst CB groups in the league to one of the best. While Sauce won’t change the defensive scheme, the Breece pick will change what they’ll do on offense, credit to LaFluer. They went from a pure RBBC to running thru a bell cow back. With Hall and MC1, it’ll be no rest for defenses when the Jets want to run the football, which they will be doing a lot. It’s risky to run your offense thru a specific RB, but the reward potential is big. 

Rigid coaches, those who put their scheme and philosophy above taking advantage of the talent at their disposal, bother me the most. I’m all about having a philosophy, but the coaches’ primary job is to get the most out of his players and, therefore, team. Here they demonstrated a willingness to change the way do things in order to obtain and utilize premium talents. It’s refreshing and exciting. 

Great post, it felt like I was reading some beautiful poetry or something and I 1000% agree 

1 hour ago, Tranquilo said:

I don't disagree. But I also think that Ekwonu is a guy that they looked at that can become a really good player, and if you got something for Becton, it wouldn't be the worse move in the world to upgrade that position (upgrade in terms of Becton not playing much last year).

I'm thrilled with the direction they went, and I'm looking forward to Becton coming on strong.

The comments from his interview this week strongly suggests if one CB wasn't there they'd have taken the other; that they had both graded about the same. Is it true? Who knows, but there's a stronger dot to connect there than with another position they stayed away from until day 3.

If both CBs were gone then that's another edge taken in the top 2 that would have been there instead.

There were rumors going around that he was shopping Becton, so he was clearly at least considering it, but it seems the draft would've had to fall in just such a way and he'd have had to have a good offer in hand for Becton, which he might not have gotten. It's also possible the best offer they got for Becton - since he was still rehabbing at that point - was a day 3 pick, and that dropped the top tackles down a couple notches since they wouldn't get a really good pick in return & it'd be a starter swap not a starter addition like drafting a corner or edge. 

I do agree with your last statement & like the way things fell, particularly in a draft pegged as being so light up top where we picked.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

That's entirely possible but once Tomlinson was signed the whole Ickey pick kinda went out the window for me. (And I was pro Ickey before Tomlinson)

Why, because he could've been moved to RG for his rookie season? 

...omg that would've played even more havoc with the Jets' "continuity score" for their line. 

3 hours ago, slats said:

Is how they both go completely against the narrative that we all know so well around here. Saleh’s system doesn’t value CBs, they draft them in the fifth round and turn them into Richard Sherman. This offense creates RBs, not the other way around. The system turns UDFAs into stars. And last year’s draft totally played into that narrative, taking a solid committee RB in the fourth, and a few DBs after that. 

JD went against type, too, allowing all you rubes who thought he’d take another first round OL only to find yourselves duped. 

Instead, they arguably grabbed the top players in the draft at both positions, using premium resources to do it. With Sauce, maybe the best player in the draft. What I like most about it is that it demonstrates flexibility from both the front office and the coaches. I have no idea how it came together, but they collectively decided that these two blue chip players were worth altering what they do. After signing a #1 CB in free agency, they supplant him with the fourth pick of the draft. A perfect fit in the scheme, too, just not the way they were expected to fill it. Jets went from one of the worst CB groups in the league to one of the best. While Sauce won’t change the defensive scheme, the Breece pick will change what they’ll do on offense, credit to LaFluer. They went from a pure RBBC to running thru a bell cow back. With Hall and MC1, it’ll be no rest for defenses when the Jets want to run the football, which they will be doing a lot. It’s risky to run your offense thru a specific RB, but the reward potential is big. 

Rigid coaches, those who put their scheme and philosophy above taking advantage of the talent at their disposal, bother me the most. I’m all about having a philosophy, but the coaches’ primary job is to get the most out of his players and, therefore, team. Here they demonstrated a willingness to change the way do things in order to obtain and utilize premium talents. It’s refreshing and exciting. 

On the CB at least Saleh said that he has moved away from the Seattle coverage philosophies and man coverage is critical now as opposed to when they just trotted out Cover 3 80% of the time.

Think of this:

Bryce Hall -Solid #2 guy potential to be a #1 CB, now CB#3

Michael Carter 1- potential Top 10 RB now RB#2 to Breece Hall

Garret Wilson  Best WR in the draft, comes in as possibly WR#3 and Elijah Moore still has great chance to be a bonafide WR #1 in the NFL

Ruckert -Last year even as rookie would have easily been TE#1 comes in as TE#3

Not only do we have very solid playmakers we now have depth at those positions.

This offfseason was completely transformational 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Spoot-Face said:

Kids these days don't know good gaming. Whatever happened to Doom? And not those flashy remakes, I mean the classic. Gaming peaked in the 90s.

First time I played doom and heard the zombies but couldn’t see them I was freaking scared ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

People said the same thing about Sauce once we signed DJ Reed. I don't think Tomlinson was gonna prevent the Jets from drafting Ickey if they wanted to. 

I would have been upset with a backup OL taken at 4. IMO Sauce is a way higher upgrade from Hall than Ekwoknu would have been over any of our OL.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Why, because he could've been moved to RG for his rookie season? 

...omg that would've played even more havoc with the Jets' "continuity score" for their line. 

If we didn't sign Tomlinson then I'd consider Ekwonu as the RG with the potential of giving us leverage in a Fant Negotiation or security If Becton went down.

My issue with drafting him after signing Tomlinson is that I think he and AVT are better than Ekwonu at G and I wouldn't want to start a rookie over Becton or Fant.

I preferred a developmental OT later in the draft and target areas of weakness. If we wanted OT at 4 I'd have preferred Cross over Ekwonu.

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

If we didn't sign Tomlinson then I'd consider Ekwonu as the RG with the potential of giving us leverage in a Fant Negotiation or security If Becton went down.

My issue with drafting him after signing Tomlinson is that I think he and AVT are better than Ekwonu at G and I wouldn't want to start a rookie over Becton or Fant.

I preferred a developmental OT later in the draft and target areas of weakness. If we wanted OT at 4 I'd have preferred Cross over Ekwonu.

My post was more in relation to another thread. ;) 

9 hours ago, slats said:

I don’t know what they would’ve done. My best guess is Wilson at #4 and JJ at #10, so thanks Texans! Me and JD were in tune this year. I really think he understood that his OL was just fine, what he lacked were playmakers. 

Maybe the Texans finally did us the solid they owed us for pawning off that idiot Mac onto us and ruining our team for the years he was here. How he made GM of the year his 1st season shows how ridiculous those awards are. He signs Fitz, Decker, and Marshall and he deserves GM of the year especially when they all folded in the last game to cost us the playoffs. But, enough about the past, lets move forward and start making the playoffs again.

8 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Kids these days don't know good gaming. Whatever happened to Doom? And not those flashy remakes, I mean the classic. Gaming peaked in the 90s.

Who's got a LAN set up?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Maybe the Texans finally did us the solid they owed us for pawning off that idiot Mac onto us and ruining our team for the years he was here. How he made GM of the year his 1st season shows how ridiculous those awards are. He signs Fitz, Decker, and Marshall and he deserves GM of the year especially when they all folded in the last game to cost us the playoffs. But, enough about the past, lets move forward and start making the playoffs again.

After we GAVE them Aaron Glenn!

It was just nice to follow a draft where almost all the drafted players by the Jets were guys I had heard of, liked, wanted to draft, and were excited about.  For 15 years the Jets first pick would be good, maybe.  Or bonkers.  The rest of the draft would be nobodies that you had to look up to even find out what they had done with a few lucky hits here and there where a guy made the team.  Finally, the draft was just... mellow and satisfying in strange ways I have never felt.

20 hours ago, Beerfish said:

It also means the team is learning from last years mistakes scheme wise, at least on defense.

Key sentence right there !!!   Let's hope that it's a true statement, because they couldn't have been more stubborn last year to change things up on defense IMO. 

While I agree and think this is a great post. If you look back at the Seahawk days- the MOST successful defense Saleh has been a part of, TWO star players were absolutely critical to that team- Richard Sherman and Marshawn Lynch. That Seahawks team ran the ball a ton and relied on Lynch as the their go to RB. They also had a tall, lanky CB who could play man just as well as he could play zone in Richard Sherman. While neither guys were drafted high, they were premier players. JD went out and got a top tier RB and CB (actually in the Sherman mold) in the draft. 

To me, the idea that CB 'was not important' in Saleh's defense has always been a fallacy. Yes, the defense revolves around the pass rush but the CB position does matter.    

• Upvote 1

On 5/5/2022 at 11:41 AM, slats said:

Oh, I’ll say this, too: I don’t know if either of these guys will see a second contract from the Jets, and I don’t care. That’s Dick Cimini’s rant, not mine. 

If one of your biggest concerns about a player on draft day is that he may end up being too expensive in his 2nd contract, I'd say that's a pretty great problem to have.