Have many other DE's come back from ACL's?

I still feel so bad for Lawson, especially since it sounded like he was an absolutely unstoppable beast in camp last year.

I really hope he has healed and hasn't lost a step. If he is still a beast, it will free up Solomon Thomas, our rook, and whoever else

our DE's are, I feel terrible to not even know. Anyone with a sports medicine background know about this? I know players heal much better from these injuries nowadays than they used to.

2 hours ago, slats said:

It was an Achilles, which seems worse to me. I have no idea how it’s gonna go. Luckily, they’ve added a lot to the Edge position this offseason. 

luckily Lawson is a workout warrior so at least you know he's giving 100 %

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, docdhc said:

Newer techniques have made surgery more successful and faster recovery.  Many players in basketball and football in  recent years have made full returns without losing ability.  The following article says 80% fully recover.

This is very encouraging.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, Pac said:

Didn't Cameron Wake tear his Achilles and come back just as strong?  Everything I've read about Lawson makes me believe he's the kind of guy who is attacking rehab so with any luck he should be good.

Yup.  Was just about to mention this.  Tore his achilles in 2015 and came back with back to back double digit sack seasons in 2016 & 17.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

It was an Achilles, which seems worse to me. I have no idea how it’s gonna go. Luckily, they’ve added a lot to the Edge position this offseason. 

Terrell Suggs did it, and came back, but he was not the same either.

The only thing that is slightly helpful is he did it so early, so there will be over a year between surgery and game 1

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

Terrell Suggs did it, and came back, but he was not the same either.

The only thing that is slightly helpful is he did it so early, so there will be over a year between surgery and game 1

Suggs tore both his Achilles in the span of a few years and was already 30 when it happened the first time.  The first 2 full seasons after his first injury he had monster years, on par with any 2 year stretch in his career.  Even after the 2nd time he posted nearly 20 sacks combined the next two years, well into his 30s at that point.

What a freak.

• Upvote 2

I’m worried about Lawson. The guy has been working his butt off from the sound of it, but an achilles injury is scary for a guy whose game is mostly about speed. He can’t really afford to lose anything. He’s good at pressuring the qb but doesn’t seem get a lot of sacks. I like the guy and I’m pulling for him but he scares me. I really hope he’s one of the 80%.

9 hours ago, slats said:

Absolutely wrong (thank …). 

Fun fact is that you never tear the same Achilles again. I don’t know about speed but many who tear one, often tear the other soon enough.

vinny had an achilles and so has marino.  both of those guys came back but marino had a noticeable limp.  not the same position as edge but it just takes more time for the affected leg to be built up again. 
Back in those days ... Achilles was a career ender for most.
  • Upvote 3

On 5/6/2022 at 6:28 AM, rangerous said:

vinny had an achilles and so has marino.  both of those guys came back but marino had a noticeable limp.  not the same position as edge but it just takes more time for the affected leg to be built up again. 

Vinny was also a traditional drop back qb. He only really needed his legs for throwing it wasn’t like he was Lamar Jackson averaging 100 yards rushing

Kevin Durant is a recent example of someone coming back as strong as ever. Different sport but given the nature of Durant’s game I think it bodes well for Lawson. It’s definitely different than it was even 10-12 years ago. Kobe Bryant came back a shell of his former self, albeit at an older age. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/5/2022 at 4:01 PM, Dcronin said:

Thanks guys. Poor guy. Leaves a team that goes to the Superbowl, looks great in camp, then has to sit all Fall and winter.

Thats what normally happens when you come to the Jets. 

On 5/5/2022 at 3:56 PM, slats said:

Agree. An Achilles rupture both physically and psychologically is a hard injury to come back from particularly for a power burst edge rusher. Don’t expect much from Lawson this year. Maybe next year