Mekhi Becton is looking like he’s in fantastic shape training with Duke Manyweather.

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

This 'will compete' narrative is  over blown, teams do not have tackles compete with each other.  Fant earned his LT spot last year and the team trusts him there.  It would take a Fant injury to change that.  Any 'compete' narrative is lip service.

Yes they do. That’s why Saleh said they would.  
LOL Calling it lip service.  That’s how coaches lose teams.  

7 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Movie

If we get the real Big Ticket ? back…..woah nelly ?.

Hey we can't host that file here. I see that you uploaded it, but it is like 100 megabytes or so and it had hundreds of views. That will go against our bandwidth. Basically it would cost bandwidth overages if it got a few thousand views.

So I had to remove the movie. It can be embedded on YouTube and linked here, or 3rd party sites like that. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Yes they do. That’s why Saleh said they would.  
LOL Calling it lip service.  That’s how coaches lose teams.  

No, they say things that will smooth over  a players feelings.  Fant is the starting LT as he should be right now.

7 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

I think ideally I'd want him under 350. He's strong as heck and I honestly don't think his play strength would be significantly impacted even if he's 330. Losing the weight would just improve his health, conditioning and speed

Never mind it would also put less stress on his knees

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

You’d be at the top of my list of Jets fans I’d like to meet.  

I envision you part genius, part rebel .. love your posts and sense of humor.

12 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

You’d be at the top of my list of Jets fans I’d like to meet.  

I envision you part genius, part rebel .. love your posts and sense of humor.

wo glenn close GIF

• Haha 4

he doesn't look like a fat slob.  he's just a big guy.  no gut like we see on a lot of linemen.  winded?  in a whole football game players only play maybe 6 minutes.  they need to be able to recover from the exertion of the plays not run continuously.  it goes hand and hand to a point.

• Upvote 2

His weight should be under control by training camp, that is one problem that is easily fixable.  I just hope he develops the general "NFL toughness" that is required to play offensive line.  He is going to get banged up every single week and he has to be able to play through some of the smaller things that come with the position.  

As for competing at LT, how exactly is the team supposed to do that?  Have them alternate at LT and RT all TC?  Personally there is zero chance that I would move Fant back to RT but its a little weird that in the video he is working on a pass set on the left side - so has the team not told him to work on both sides?

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

No, they say things that will smooth over  a players feelings.  Fant is the starting LT as he should be right now.

No they dont.  A HC announces that there will be a competition and Becton outplays Wants and doesnt get the job will be coaching a team that doesnt trust or believe him when he says something.  It happened with Todd and Robinson, Michaels said there would be a competition for the starting QB spot, Robinson beat out Todd.  Michaels never thought Todd would lose, didnt want Robinson to start but had no choice after making the competition public.

Saleh will play whoever is the best player at LT.  Becton first season in the NFL was better than any of Fants 5 NFL seasons.  Fants played RT.  Have no clue why some just have to hand Fant the job, Becton ceiling is much higher 

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

Hey we can't host that file here. I see that you uploaded it, but it is like 100 megabytes or so and it had hundreds of views. That will go against our bandwidth. Basically it would cost bandwidth overages if it got a few thousand views.

So I had to remove the movie. It can be embedded on YouTube and linked here, or 3rd party sites like that. Thanks.

Ban that ******* data gobbling freak

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It is extremely hard for many massive players, like BEcton to stay in shape. Every year there are reports of DT, OL players that come to camp out of shape because they spent the offseason eating fast food. At the very least, it is great news that Becton will be reporting to camp in great shape. 

Does it mean he will stay healthy or even play good enough to justify his high pick? No. But this is a huge first step for a player who's top question mark was always "Will this guy stay in shape?"

1st intelligent response in this thread, although T0m's trolling is entertaining as usual

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

His weight should be under control by training camp, that is one problem that is easily fixable.  I just hope he develops the general "NFL toughness" that is required to play offensive line.  He is going to get banged up every single week and he has to be able to play through some of the smaller things that come with the position.  

As for competing at LT, how exactly is the team supposed to do that?  Have them alternate at LT and RT all TC?  Personally there is zero chance that I would move Fant back to RT but its a little weird that in the video he is working on a pass set on the left side - so has the team not told him to work on both sides?

You move Fant back to RT because Becton is a better player with a much higher ceiling. You want the best LT you can possibly have - why limit that by forcing Fant? People forget how good Becton was his rookie year. Fant filled in admirably last year - I think he was team MVP. That doesn't mean he's a lock to start over a better player.

• Upvote 4

56 minutes ago, maury77 said:

George Fant's PFF grade last season was 71.1 and Becton's grade as a rookie was 74.4. I'm not sure where the sentiment is coming from that Fant is suddenly Anthony Munoz and Becton can't overtake him at LT. Fant has more experience at RT in the NFL than Becton does. 

Fant reminds me of Beachum, that average at best LT we had during Macagnan years. I guess people here really do like Mac's player personnel decisions.

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

Ah shoot, sorry Max.  I just screen recorded it off of Duke’s page because I knew it would disappear.  I’ll try and see if someone tweeted or something and link it here.  If not I’ll tweet it myself and link it!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

George Fant's PFF grade last season was 71.1 and Becton's grade as a rookie was 74.4. I'm not sure where the sentiment is coming from that Fant is suddenly Anthony Munoz and Becton can't overtake him at LT. Fant has more experience at RT in the NFL than Becton does. 

You didn’t get the memo?  He is fat lazy and injury prone.  Between inpatient fans, and negative media coverage this is the new false narrative.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Zachtomims47 said:

I'm guessing they'll start Becton at RT in camp to see how he handles it and if he struggles a bunch, then they'll put him back at LT. 

Or Max Mitchell kicks everyones ass and takes RT for himself. 

I'd bet on them rotating right and left throughout camp personally. It's really not the worst thing. Obviously Fant has done it for us and giving Becton reps adds to his versatility. Hopefully his maturity doesn't get in the way of him realizing LT isn't going to be handed to him.

1 hour ago, Zachtomims47 said:

I'm guessing they'll start Becton at RT in camp to see how he handles it and if he struggles a bunch, then they'll put him back at LT. 

At this point in his career he is a better road grader destroyer of men than he is a polished pass protector. Add a right end and even I should be able to run(waddle) on that right side. I’m looking forward to seeing Fant verses Carl Lawson in camp honestly, though I won’t be paying attention to it. I hope they get the Max out of Mitchell!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

Lol 3 PFF points.  If Becton outplays him that’s fine, but Fant played much better at LT than RT, is a better pass blocker than run blocker (unlike Becton) and there’s a good chance he’s not gonna want another contract to play RT.  Becton hasn’t played in a year and he’s young.  If we’re moving AVT to RG because LG is more natural for Tomlinson, why shouldn’t we do the same for tackle?  Pretty sure Fant has said multiple times that he’s a LT.

Becton has not shown that he’s worth investing in for the future, which would be the only reason to keep him at LT.  If he gets hurt, you have a back-up in at LT or Fant moves back over and you have constant shifting of our O-line, which if we’ve learned anything the last 4 years is not good.

Hope I’m wrong and Becton can outright prove to be a franchise LT but at this point it’s risky and if the Oline ain’t broke, don’t try to fix it.

1 hour ago, Zachtomims47 said:

I'd be calling for people to get fired if this happened. Really? If he struggles at RT you want him as your LT? wth

Becton can play both sides. He did in college. He was drafted to be our LT and will be given every opportunity to "win" that spot. This "competition" will be mostly a farce that Becton can only lose IMO. 

3 hours ago, maury77 said:

The NFL is a what have you done for me lately league, that is where the sentiment is coming from.  Becton before getting hurt.....again .... was getting his ass whipped in camp and when Fant took over at LT the line got a lot better.

In any case tackle is another position that has changed value wise over the last few years.  It used to be you had to get that one awesome LT and then you stuck anyone at RT.  Nowadays RT is much closer value wise and importance wise.

1 hour ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

LT isn't going to be handed to him.

Of course LT isn't going to be handed to him. They're begrudgingly giving him a shot at RT. What about the fact that every other lineman this team brings in is 308 pounds leads anybody to believe they're even pulling for the fat pig to earn reps?

16 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Of course LT isn't going to be handed to him. They're begrudgingly giving him a shot at RT. What about the fact that every other lineman this team brings in is 308 pounds leads anybody to believe they're even pulling for the fat pig to earn reps?

Have you ever been heavier than 160 lbs at anytime in your life? 

24 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Wasn't implying that the team was going to hand this to him. My point was whether he's going to take that aspect seriously or not or feel entitled to the position.

28 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Bro, you need to go out for a walk and get some fresh air...

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, maury77 said:

It doesn't matter how good Becton is, bottom line is Jets were completely helpless without Fant but got around without Becton. Plus, Fant was around for many more games, making him the more reliable player that season.