Jets add OL depth, claim Nate Herbig

Damn I like the last name Her-big and he is BIG! His PFF for 2020 was 71.2 with almost 900 snaps and just 2 sacks allowed. 2021 his PFF was 68.1 with about 500 snaps and 1 sack allowed. So he seems pretty steady. Nice pickup!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Will GVR be cut because of this? 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/greg-van-roten-11215/#:~:text=Current Contract,a cap hit of %243%2C500%2C000.

"One day the Greg Van Roten type of player won't be on this roster"

You keep him around through camp.  Maybe someone loses a guard in the summer and is willing to throw a late round pick at us for a guy with some starting experience.  But if our OL stays healthy, I don't see a role for him and with no dead $ if we release him.  Seems like a long shot to make the roster.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Lith said:

You keep him around through camp.  Maybe someone loses a guard in the summer and is willing to throw a late round pick at us for a guy with some starting experience.  But if our OL stays healthy, I don't see a role for him and with no dead $ if we release him.  Seems like a long shot to make the roster.

So, they do like you said and either way we should save 3M against the cap for this or next year if we use it for future. 

59 minutes ago, Lith said:

Gives us some nice flexibility along the OL.  He is a solid starter who can back up AVT and Tomlinson, plus if Becton struggles to get on the field, we can move AVT to RT and slide Herbig in.

Would be an added bonus if he could learn to play Center (don't think he has in eitehr Philly or at Stanford), but it would be nice if he could learn the position this season and give us an option to let Mcgovern walk next offseason.

Said he has played a hand full of snaps at C.

nice pick up. i told you guys that OL are a dime a dozen. they become available all over the place. no need to draft one as high as 4 or 10.

i kind of feel bad for him. the guy probably can be a good starter and he wont start here.

• Upvote 2

Position versatility across the IOL.  Seems to pick up stunts (based on video clip in this thread).  Enough beef to handle interior bull rushes…

Pretty excited about a young, quality o-line depth piece…

Of course his athletic profile wasn’t great but he can play.  Slowest 40 of all players (not just his position) at the combine.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Exactly. Hold on to him in the hopes of a late round pick from someone.  His 3.5mill is only paid if he is on the opening day roster I think.  But could be wrong. 

6 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Answer: Pure numbers crunch after adding a C in the second round. I like it. https://www.si.com/nfl/eagles/news/eagles-officially-waive-nate-herbig

Eagles actually did him a solid. He requested his release, and they granted it. Lots of depth on that Eagles interior OL, so they let him go to seek a better opportunity elsewhere. Which is nice for him, and nice for us.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Her big what?

Vagina, it's vagina. You know this.mfer gonna SIT there and pretend he doesn't know it's vagina. Gotta make ME type it out. Like I got nothing better to do than to sit here all goddamn day typing vagina.

Edited by Gastineau Lives
  • Haha 1