Rook Jersey Numbers?? (And Rookie Camp Updates)

37 minutes ago, slats said:

Could be foreshadowing! I’ve been saying since the pick that I could see him being pulled on passing downs for Huff or Martin. With Lawson back, there’s gonna a lot of competition to get on the field in 3rd & long. It’s an unusual problem for the Jets to have. 

What?  No freaking way he gets pulled on passing downs.  He can set the edge, we drafted him to rush the passer.

I would seriously question the teams coaching if they did that.

38 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

What?  No freaking way he gets pulled on passing downs.  He can set the edge, we drafted him to rush the passer.

I would seriously question them if they didn’t have the best players on the field on the most consequential downs, whoever they may be. Martin and Huff are good pass rushers. And I’m a little concerned that Micheal Clemons might actually be a murderer. There’s serious competition for those big pass rush opportunities this year. It’s crazy, in a good way. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

A couple of guys got hurt and those injuries may linger into the part of the off-season that actually matters, but at least they can sleep at night knowing that T0m thinks that they’re a tight knit group who aren’t soft!

Who got injured? I looked it up and all I saw was this breakdown about the rookies on the field competing for jobs and whatnot.

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/first-impressions-of-draft-picks-at-packers-rookie-minicamp

28 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

35 is a horrible number for a running back.

With 90 guys on the roster, and 5 numbers retired, there are not many numbers available.  Numbers will change after guys get cut.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Who got injured? I looked it up and all I saw was this breakdown about the rookies on the field competing for jobs and whatnot.

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/first-impressions-of-draft-picks-at-packers-rookie-minicamp

Not sure.  Trying to find out, but I’m not sure if Matt gave specifics.  Saw some tidbits on the Packers subreddit, but no player names (and I don’t think they’re forced to report rookie camp injuries.)

On 5/7/2022 at 1:34 PM, Beerfish said:

While I agree I do think this could be the case at times.  At least on a rotational basis if you've had JJ on the field for 12 plays in a row and the opponent has a 3rd and 9, I wouldn't be against a fresh set of legs out there from a pure pass rusher like Huff.  Not every 3rd and long, but Saleh will absolutely rotate these guys.  It's up to JJ to show the coaches that the defense is worse on 3rd down when he's taken off the field.

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I don't get as amped up about player numbers as a lot of people here, but it would be great to see Johnson with a true edge rusher # somewhere in the 90's range.

The only issue I have with Johnson wearing 52, is it will remind me too much of Pepper Johnson, who I will always think of as a Giant.  On the other hand, 52 worked pretty well for Kahlil Mack, so we shall see.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I’ve been in Disney all week w my kids, why are we calling JJ Maine? 

It was in the interview with him by Grand Twerp Eric Allen (elsewhere on the forum) asking him what he preferred to be called. 

1 hour ago, Lith said:

The only issue I have with Johnson wearing 52, is it will remind me too much of Pepper Johnson, who I will always think of as a Giant.  On the other hand, 52 worked pretty well for Kahlil Mack, so we shall see.

David Harris is first when I think of that number for us. Weird seeing a DE rocking 52. Should be a LB. 

can I say how much I dislike this, any number can be worn at any position… FFS.  

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Hopefully, the change back to #15 helps Mims find his mojo. If he can become Brandon Marshall, that would be nice.

JJ gets his college number too. No matter how much these guys like these new number rules, 11 on an NFL DE will never not look weird to me.

• Upvote 1

On 5/18/2022 at 6:52 AM, mrcoops said:

Hopefully, the change back to #15 helps Mims find his mojo. If he can become Brandon Marshall, that would be nice.

JJ gets his college number too. No matter how much these guys like these new number rules, 11 on an NFL DE will never not look weird to me.

Looks like Mims was still wearing #11 in the OTA videos posted today...

5 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

He's worn that number his entire career. I would be more concern with our kicker being more comfortable then the other two. 

Pineiro is 26... his NFL stats are ok, nothing stellar... a change in # may do him good too. ?