Game breaking RB

Never heard of Breece Hall until right before the draft.  Learning more from this board, other media, etc. and it seems there's a ton to like.

I'm not sure I can remember ever having a back like this.  We've had really strong/great backs (Curtis, Thomas Jones, Freeman, end of career Ladainian)...but none of them with the Jets were explosive gamebreakers.

I'm not sure I even have a clue what a back like this can do for us...and would love some perspectives.  My initial take is that I think this player can potentially transform our offense and finally get it to "modern day" NFL standards.  By that I mean take a regular play, or a broken play...and score from anywhere.  Creating a lot of space for other playmakers on our team to operate.

Maybe I'm stating the obvious but it's dawning on me that this single player can be the one to tip the scales for us.  If he's what we think he can be (and with Carter as another piece of the backfield)...we have a great shot here.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Arguably the RB is just as useful as WRs in helping a QB develop. RB makes sure that if the QB has shortcomings and learning curves, there's another option that they can lean onto. Takes away a lot of stress.

• Upvote 4

Arguably the RB is just as useful as WRs in helping a QB develop. RB makes sure that if the QB has shortcomings and learning curves, there's another option that they can lean onto. Takes away a lot of stress.
Moreso
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

Honestly think you’d have to go all the way back to Freeman McNeil. If Breece and MC1 can become like McNeil and Hector, the Jets are gonna have one helluva rushing attack. 

There was a moment with Curtis and Lamont Jordan.  They combined for over 2k yards in 2004.  I'd settle for that ;)

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, WowOhWow said:

Never heard of Breece Hall until right before the draft.  Learning more from this board, other media, etc. and it seems there's a ton to like.

I'm not sure I can remember ever having a back like this.  We've had really strong/great backs (Curtis, Thomas Jones, Freeman, end of career Ladainian)...but none of them with the Jets were explosive gamebreakers.

Leon Washington

• Upvote 1

I kind of thought Hall would be in play. Freak athlete, hyper productive, team captain, scheme fit.

For a team that brought in a guard who just made the Pro Bowl to fill their weakest spot on the OL and has a young QB and a defense that was on the field too much last year, I thought a high end running back - a position that usually translates to the NFL quickly - was the best way to improve the team quickly. Take pressure off the QB with a strong run game behind Hall and Carter, keep the defense off the field, and threaten defenses with another guy who can create big plays.

Expectations are pretty high and hopefully he meets them. There aren’t many RB’s in the league who move the needle for their team but several of them were drafted in the second - Taylor, Cook, Henry. Would be huge if Hall can be that level of player.

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

I'm not going to stand for this callous dismissal of LaMont Jordan

Lamont Jordan was a great RB in a tandem. But once he was the bell cow for Oakland, his stats quickly converged to the mean. There were those who cried that Martin was getting the ball too much, which was probably true, but LaMont had his high YPC because he didn't carry the ball more than he did.

If the OL does what it's supposed to do this year, the JETS will have a well rounded offensive attack. Have waited for this since the JETS started to break down after 2010. I believe we have the makings of a special offense.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, derp said:

For a team that brought in a guard who just made the Pro Bowl to fill their weakest spot on the OL and has a young QB and a defense that was on the field too much last year, I thought a high end running back - a position that usually translates to the NFL quickly - was the best way to improve the team quickly.

Bingo! 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Lith said:

Becton surrounded by AVT and Conklin/Uzomah/Ruckert should be able to open up big holes for our backs. Hall could be a sneaky good play in Fantasy.

JD Needs to find another RT like Moses when roster’s start to get trimmed down.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Lamont Jordan was a great RB in a tandem. But once he was the bell cow for Oakland, his stats quickly converged to the mean. There were those who cried that Martin was getting the ball too much, which was probably true, but LaMont had his high YPC because he didn't carry the ball more than he did.

I was one of those criers. We had to set the LaMonster free.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Becton surrounded by AVT and Conklin/Uzomah/Ruckert should be able to open up big holes for our backs. Hall could be a sneaky good play in Fantasy.

They may think they already have with Mitchell.

22 hours ago, slats said:

Honestly think you’d have to go all the way back to Freeman McNeil. If Breece and MC1 can become like McNeil and Hector, the Jets are gonna have one helluva rushing attack. 

For my $, Freeman is the best RB this franchise ever had.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

They got lucky last year with Moses.  Guys of htat caliber don't often shake free as late as he did.  Not sure how JD is thinking, but if we need a back-up to play at tackle, maybe we slide Herbig in at guard and move AVT to RT, or a @section314 mentions, maybe MItchell wil be ready to play in a back-up role this season.  I wil be curious when camp starts to hear if AVT gets any reps at RT.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, section314 said:

For my $, Freeman is the best RB this franchise ever had.

The best I’ve ever seen. All this talk of LaMont is fun and all, but he and Martin just didn’t have the home run ability that I believe Breece and MC1 bring. I’m excited about this pick. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, slats said:

Freeman is one of my all-time faves. Belongs in the Ring.

• Sympathy 1

23 hours ago, WowOhWow said:

I'm not sure I even have a clue what a back like this can do for us...and would love some perspectives.  My initial take is that I think this player can potentially transform our offense and finally get it to "modern day" NFL standards.  By that I mean take a regular play, or a broken play...and score from anywhere.  Creating a lot of space for other playmakers on our team to operate.

Maybe I'm stating the obvious but it's dawning on me that this single player can be the one to tip the scales for us.  If he's what we think he can be (and with Carter as another piece of the backfield)...we have a great shot here.

The most important thing a back can do today is score in the red zone. If you have a guy that can consitsntly move the ball down there, it opens up all kinds of things for the O

He has been comp to Gale Sayers (Waldman), Shady McCoy, Le'veon Bell,

Curtis Martin, Adrian Peterson.  His biggest asset is his ability to cut at

full speed. Sayers, McCoy, Bell and Martin were also elusive  ( great at cutting)

Peterson was not.  His style resembles Bell the most with a Jet, soon to be jets

rocket up his ass.  My hope the late great  Gale Sayers the greatest RB who ever was-

Breece Hall may have been possibly the most explosive offensive weapon of the entire 2022 draft.  He has high end speed (4.39) and power...to go along with agility-athleticism.  In college that combination made him a TD machine.  He had a record setting 24 straight games with a rushing TD.  He was a very good receiver and a solid blocker too. 

For the Jets...he's definitely their most dangerous weapon.  Whether he's schemed by LaFleur...or from his own efforts......by run...or as a receiver...any time he can get into space...it can turn into a big explosive play...or end taking it for a TD.  Hall can break a tackle...make a cut or spin move...and he's off to the races.  That ability will force opposing DCs to devise game plans to try and contain him.  Allowing the rest of the offensive weapons to make plays.  Especially off of play action...allowing GW and Moore opportunities for big plays downfield.   And Hall will help take pressure off of ZW too...and enable him to execute play action more effectively. 

Hall-Carter duo will be like a Batman & Robin dynamic duo...that can make explosive plays by run or pass.  With Jets having three 2-way type TEs...and a revamped OL with the additions of Becton's return and Tomlinson...the Jets in 12 man formations can be dominant.  And ram that rock down opponent's throats.  Dictating how defenses have to play them.  Forcing them to focus on containing the run.  Allowing play action to be more effective.   

Jets will move the chains and sustain longer drives.  Give the Jets defense more rest.  They can then be fresher in that 4thQ to go after the QB.  

For all the above reasons...that was my vision for adding Breece Hall.  And I'm glad JD had the guts to go against most expectations for that pick 35...and grab Breece. 

This...is what opposing DCs...will have to game plan to stop...

Download video

Can't wait!