Jump to content

The Jets were not good at catching the football last season.


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Many of those "drops" weren't exactly easy catches. Guys draped all over them, trying to get 2 feet down at the same time. The good news is that many of those throws by Wilson were under pressure and still extremely accurate and often showed off his excellent pocket presence/mobility. 

There is a lot to be excited about heading into 2022. 

Additionally, some of the throws could have been more accurate. A few bordered on uncatchable.

That said, the OP's point is well taken. Wilson could have definitely used more help from his receivers last season. I bet his completion rate goes up based on less drops, before considering any improvement he shows this year.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Jet Blast said:

Additionally, some of the throws could have been more accurate. A few bordered on uncatchable.

That said, the OP's point is well taken. Wilson could have definitely used more help from his receivers last season. I bet his completion rate goes up based on less drops, before considering any improvement he shows this year.

 I watched the playoffs a guys just made the catch.  The passes were not any better the receivers made adjustments got to the ball and made it look easy.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Josh Allen vs Zach Wilson rookie stats:

Zach Wilson

image.png.e0085ca23f340da5a41516f94a4ad71d.png

Josh Allen

image.png.2db823bd4d19e5d176292ed0bdf2b8e0.png

 

If Jets caught more balls would be even better.

Allen was not accurate either in rookie season and made the jump 2nd year.

Wilson putting in the work should show improvement like Allen did.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Many of those "drops" weren't exactly easy catches. Guys draped all over them, trying to get 2 feet down at the same time. The good news is that many of those throws by Wilson were under pressure and still extremely accurate and often showed off his excellent pocket presence/mobility. 

There is a lot to be excited about heading into 2022. 

Ball placement matters too. They hit them in the hands but the ball placement was not ideal.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, BigB said:

Josh Allen vs Zach Wilson rookie stats:

Zach Wilson

image.png.e0085ca23f340da5a41516f94a4ad71d.png

Josh Allen

image.png.2db823bd4d19e5d176292ed0bdf2b8e0.png

 

If Jets caught more balls would be even better.

Allen was not accurate either in rookie season and made the jump 2nd year.

Wilson putting in the work should show improvement like Allen did.

 

Allen always had that swagger though. I could tell he had “it”.

I don’t see that “it” factor with Zach.

Hope im wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

 I watched the playoffs a guys just made the catch.  The passes were not any better the receivers made adjustments got to the ball and made it look easy.

Exactly my point. Better receivers = higher QB completion rate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Copernicus said:

But, but this goes against our expert beat writers and Bart Scott who think Zach sucks and should have had a better completion percentage. 

2 things can be true at the same time.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So many brutal ones, but the Moore one in the season opener, the Davis one in Denver, and the Griffin one in Houston all infuriated me in real time. 
 

All were dimes on huge plays down the field, including a TD. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

About 50% of these drops are on Zac.  The Berrios drop to INT for instance is an almost impossible catch for a receiver to make and reminds me of many Brett Favre INTs.  You have to take some mustard off the ball in certain angles to give the receiver a chance.  Also when he's running and contorting around defenders, the balls he throws are frequently not tight spirals.  NFL receivers are supposed to make those catches, but i mean it can be hard when the ball is bobbing around with weird spins.

The remaining 50% are really bad, Davis in particular had some awful drops.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, nycdan said:

Wait.  Now I'm confused.

Who sucks and needs to be replaced now?

 

But seriously, yeah, a few of those drops by Davis were not good.  I really hope he can do a little better this season holding onto the ball.

Well with Wilson and Moore, it’s highly possible Davis could end up being Receiver 3 on this team this season.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, slimjasi said:

 

lol, are we really this bad with data? 
 

the guy missed 4 games 

 

the jets were 5th in drop percentage last year. 
 

I hope someone does your taxes for you! 

Yes, he’s called an accountant 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Look, the Jets skill position players were clearly too injured and not good enough last season. That's difficult for any rookie QB to overcome. Although I would have liked management to add a more experienced, high profile addition to WR or TE, the additions made in the draft are more than any of us could have asked for. 

That being said, I'm not going to call people out by name but those of you that are blaming Wilson's rookie season completely on his surrounding circumstances are just not being accurate. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-new-york-jets-2022-offseason-blueprint-response-to-poor-zach-wilson-rookie-year

Third lowest passing grade among starters

negative throw rate above 20% (third worst since 2014)

2.5 big time throw percentage (28th in the league and last among rookies)

-14.2 accuracy rate over expectation (worst in the league by over 4 percentage points)

1.8% big time throw rate when throwing in rhythm (lowest in the NFL last season)

3.05 second average time to throw (among the 5 slowest in the NFL)

26.3 percent of his pressures converted into sacks (third worst in the NFL)

Josh Allen had accuracy struggles, but he is also a freak athlete that could rely upon while the other parts of his game improved. Wilson is a good athlete, but he does not have Allen's size and Wilson has already started suffering injuries. 

The past is the past. The Jets have surrounded Wilson with a lot of talent. If Wilson turns it around, we (including me) are all far better off, however, let's not be revisionist about the past. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My feeling has been less the WRs “fail on catchable balls” and more they “fail to make enough great catches”. Over the past 3 to 4 years the Jets WRs rarely, if ever make great catches. Although, that might be because we haven’t had grear WRs?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Look, the Jets skill position players were clearly too injured and not good enough last season. That's difficult for any rookie QB to overcome. Although I would have liked management to add a more experienced, high profile addition to WR or TE, the additions made in the draft are more than any of us could have asked for. 

That being said, I'm not going to call people out by name but those of you that are blaming Wilson's rookie season completely on his surrounding circumstances are just not being accurate. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-new-york-jets-2022-offseason-blueprint-response-to-poor-zach-wilson-rookie-year

Third lowest passing grade among starters

negative throw rate above 20% (third worst since 2014)

2.5 big time throw percentage (28th in the league and last among rookies)

-14.2 accuracy rate over expectation (worst in the league by over 4 percentage points)

1.8% big time throw rate when throwing in rhythm (lowest in the NFL last season)

3.05 second average time to throw (among the 5 slowest in the NFL)

26.3 percent of his pressures converted into sacks (third worst in the NFL)

Josh Allen had accuracy struggles, but he is also a freak athlete that could rely upon while the other parts of his game improved. Wilson is a good athlete, but he does not have Allen's size and Wilson has already started suffering injuries. 

The past is the past. The Jets have surrounded Wilson with a lot of talent. If Wilson turns it around, we (including me) are all far better off, however, let's not be revisionist about the past. 

Zach wasn't good - anyone claiming otherwise didn't watch him.

But those stats simply aren't taking into account the awful OL performance early in the year and the team he was playing with late in the year.   Those are variables this data doesn't account for.

It's tough to make throws fast when no ones open, it' s tough to avoid sacks when there are free blitzers and people still aren't open - it's tough to simply throw the ball away when you're down 3 TD's in the first quarter.

Moreover, you post those stats but don't show the other stats that have been listed here, from PFF, that show where some of his performance was at the top five in the league.  Like RedZone efficiency, tight window throws (both of which show how well he performs when people are covered - compared to the rest of the league) and others that show his substantial growth in the last 3rd of the season.

Its undeniable he was mostly bad this season, it's also undeniable the team around him early was awful and about as injured as any team I've ever seen late - it was also undeniable he showed substantial growth as a player after returning from injury. 

Bottom line, this seems to be an agenda driven posts, masked as fairness.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Facts said:

Ball placement matters too. They hit them in the hands but the ball placement was not ideal.

Very true Facts, he was always throwing high passes. The thing about Zach Wilson's rookie year is I've never seen a Jets QB have LESS TIME in the pocket, he was either always on the run, or just about to get creamed. There's a video that was going around of Zach Wilson's top 10 plays for the year and not one showed him being able to sit back in the pocket and make his reads and then throw the ball to a competent receiver who makes the catch. All of his hi lights were broken plays. Another factor that has to change besides giving our QB a consistent pocket to pass from is the officials making some of these late hit calls that we see being called ON the Jets but when Wilson gets hit late-nothing-no flag. I'm tired of the way that our owners allow the officials to call whatever they want, whenever they want against the Jets but the same treatment doesn't ever hold true FOR the team. I really want to see what we have at QB this year because I have no idea from watching our offense in 2021

A couple of things stand out from this video besides Braxton Berrios being as stud is that Corey Davis is a lot better than his stats showed. Also this guy Keelan Cole is another guy who can catch a football, but unfortunately he had Covid last year and I don't see his name on the OurLads roster going forward

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

 

 

Defense improved.  The run game should be improved with Hall and a tougher OLine.  I think Zach improved to end last season and the off-season will only help.  
 

Do we think the team will also catch the football better next season?  This is why I wanted Cooper or an experienced WR1.  I love G. Wilson, but a rookie is the only addition to the WRs.  The Jets are banking on unrealized potential at WR.  It might work…
 

TEs and RBs should be better at catching. That should help.  

Ironically, Cooper has always had a high drop rate.

I also wanted an experienced WR, as did JD, but we got what we got.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

 

 

Defense improved.  The run game should be improved with Hall and a tougher OLine.  I think Zach improved to end last season and the off-season will only help.  
 

Do we think the team will also catch the football better next season?  This is why I wanted Cooper or an experienced WR1.  I love G. Wilson, but a rookie is the only addition to the WRs.  The Jets are banking on unrealized potential at WR.  It might work…
 

TEs and RBs should be better at catching. That should help.  

If Moore can pick up where he left off, it should be better right there. Davis is going to be the same up and down player he has always been. Carter will be better also. The Key is Zach

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Things should be much better.  Having Wilson, Moore and those new TE's offers the chance for more separation and better hands.  Carter, Hall and Coleman have good hands too.  

This team will go as far as Zach takes us.  If he starts showing the talent we thought we drafted, we should be fine.

As an aside, someone get Moore working with the jugs machine.  He was an unreliable target, putting it kindly.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Flashlite80 said:

Things should be much better.  Having Wilson, Moore and those new TE's offers the chance for more separation and better hands.  Carter, Hall and Coleman have good hands too.  

This team will go as far as Zach takes us.  If he starts showing the talent we thought we drafted, we should be fine.

As an aside, someone get Corey Davis working with the jugs machine.  He was an unreliable target, putting it kindly.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Hex said:

Woody was probably pissed that Zach killed his lunch, so he made a tik tok spoiling the draft picks

Still can’t get over him being that stupid in that idiotic videoMark Wahlberg No GIF by Daddy's Home

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...