The Van Roten Era is over

57 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Remember when everyone really wanted Van Roten signed in free agency?  Good times.

He was always likely to go as soon as the position was upgraded this year. Herbig is young, cheaper and better.

Yes, grew up a Jet fan and fans here wanted him. In fact, there was a hold up and fans were upset that JD couldn’t close. He wound up paying GVR about half of what he was looking for. 

Jets here did him the same favor the Eagles did Herbig. He’ll catch on somewhere. He’s not good enough to make the cut on the Jets above average OL, but plenty of other teams will be happy with our trash. 

• Upvote 4

54 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Feeney wasn't any better than GVR last year. Why did we bring him back?????

I would not bet he'll be around for game 1, either. It's a waiting game to see what other guys are cut lose. Same may happen at LB and safety.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bungaman said:

I would not bet he'll be around for game 1, either. It's a waiting game to see what other guys are cut lose. Same may happen at LB and safety.

They already paid Feeney a ~$2M bonus, and his ~$1M salary is fully guaranteed. He’s currently the only backup center on the roster. Better than 50-50 he’s on the opening day roster, imho. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, slats said:

They already paid Feeney a ~$2M bonus, and his ~$1M salary is fully guaranteed. He’s currently the only backup center on the roster. Better than 50-50 he’s on the opening day roster, imho. 

Perhaps. Unless the skill level of a possible replacement is much higher, you are probably right that the sunk costs won't outweigh that.

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

This dude was a garbage guard and the reason Becton's knee got destroyed. Good riddance.

That said - please have some common decency and leave the dude alone on Twitter.

I thought the point of twitter was to pile on?  I'm so confused.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, slats said:

I believe Nate Herbig can play Center at a push.

29 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

I'm tracking. Why Rankins? I don't know enough about his production/effort. 

Why isn't Edoga on your list?

Rankins is a major underachiever, part of a Dline that helped rank the 32nd Defence in the NFL. Edoga is poor ageed, but is effectively the 4th tackle on the team. He’s also gone after this year.

• Upvote 2

Don't know much about the new guy, but GVR unfortunately was not good enough.

The offense just needs to upgrade McDermott now and it's good to go.

The defense is still a work in progress. Hopefully some guys get cut that can be added to the team.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Rankins is a major underachiever, part of a Dline that helped rank the 32nd Defence in the NFL. Edoga is poor ageed, but is effectively the 4th tackle on the team. He’s also gone after this year.

Yup. He is only on the team because we have not been able to find his replacement. The minute a better guy becomes available, he will be cut. Same with McDermott.

• Upvote 1