The Van Roten Era is over

ZachEY

Feeney's play improved last year, he graded well on PFF 75.9...he's a great team mate, somebody you want down a foxhole with you, he can play center and guard. Those reasons combined are probably why he's still here.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

Feeney's play improved last year, he graded well on PFF 75.9...he's a great team mate, somebody you want down a foxhole with you, he can play center and guard. Those reasons combined are probably why he's still here.

Exactly - having a backup center who makes less than $3 million and who seems like a great teammate and can provide some level of veteran mentorship is a good thing.  Is Feeney great, no - but what teams have a backup center who is?  Its either a position you develop (like the eagles with Jurgens - which is why they cut Herbig) or a position you hope to have a veteran like Feeney. Otherwise you wind up with the situation we had when mangold got hurt and we had a rookie get destroyed by the Ravens.

OT: Fant, Becton, Mitchell

OG: Tomlinson, AVT, Herbig, 

OC: McGovern, Feeney 

Thats the 8 that should make the team plus probably one additional player who I personally would like to be another veteran with OT versatility.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

So, if there is an injury at OT, is there anyone else who believes that AVT may move to tackle ( temporarily) and the new guard will move to his spot?  

Yes, it is a possibility as AVT played there in college.   Ideally we wouldnt want to move him around any more then we already are but if Herbig is the 6th best OL, then maybe you play him at guard and move AVT.  

On 5/6/2022 at 4:01 PM, slats said:

They already paid Feeney a ~$2M bonus, and his ~$1M salary is fully guaranteed. He’s currently the only backup center on the roster. Better than 50-50 he’s on the opening day roster, imho. 

On 5/6/2022 at 4:06 PM, 68JET11 said:

Cause he can backup at Center, not just guard.

On 5/6/2022 at 3:06 PM, Lith said:

Pretty sure he is the only back up Center on the roster.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

You guys are correct that is the main reason that Feeney is still around, but they do also have Pierschbacher, the kid from Alabama that was a 5th of Washington in 2019.  He played C his senior year.  Of course, he has been around for 3 seasons and has played 1 offensive snap, but he stuck on the PS all of last year, so they must see something.  

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 5:15 PM, Scoop24 said:

I guess Conner McDermott is next on the trash list

On 5/7/2022 at 12:36 AM, TheClashFan said:

Edoga first.  At least McDermott can stay healthy.

On 5/7/2022 at 12:58 AM, NOSIDE said:

They both evenly suck- but McDermott CAUGHT a TD. So in my eyes, Ediga goes first 

I'm not sure what the Jets plans with him were, but when McDermott came to the Jets I remember reading about how they liked his versatility and that he also projected as a G.  Seems odd for a kid that was a tall basketball player college LT that didn't have the "functional strength" to play in the NFL, but that is what I read.  These guys do seem to like tall guys at G, but I don't know.  He at least projects to play multiple spots, which is an improvement over Edoga.  His brother was the Vikings long snapper for a couple of years.  OTOH, I think Edoga is ahead at T on the depth chart.  When the Jets waive McDermott, he only has the Dolphins left to complete the tour of the AFCE.