A team we can be proud of!

I'll be proud when there's more wins than losses at the end of the season. Every year people project them to be way better than they will be then the board flips when the obvious becomes apparent until the next offseason of hope. People on here are building the hype to something beyond a 6-8 win season and when it doesn't happen you're gonna lose your sh*t again. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Like 1

I have a two DVD set called “the Complete History of the New York Jets”- came out after the 2006 season I think? And on disc 2, one of the extras is the NFL films video for the 1998 NYJ team, and it was called “a Team to be proud of”. I watch it every year right before the start of the season to remind myself why I love this team! As much as I loved 2009 and 2010 runs, man there was never anything like the 1998 team. People forget they started out 0-2! They went 12-4 for the year and won the first playoff game, which means after that 0-2 start, this team went 13-2! I mean who here can remember a time when the Jets won 13 out of 15 games? What a year! I hope and pray every year we will get another one like that soon!!

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

First off congratulations to the elder statesman on this board who have watched this team for decade upon decade. I may be a little long-winded.

JD has put together a team between free agency and the last few drafts and the guy worked his ass off. I think it's obvious that he knows what he's doing. This year's draft was phenomenal and every media outlet has us at least within the top three of the best drafts, and that's on JD.

I apologize that I can't find Robert Saleh in his season ending interview on the Michael Kay show but it was incredible. He didn't say a word that resembled Coach speak. He was pure and genuine and sounded like a guy who was relaxing with a Corona and a lime~

I really like this optic for the Jets. We've been cracking on Woody and Chris Johnson for a long time and I really felt over time that they were genuine and they really want to succeed. I think they really appreciate the fans but New York is a really tough market. We kind of can't wait to give somebody a wedgie or the middle finger right? Lmao!!!!

So here it's Robert Saleh.... He's a new age different kind of coach that shows these young men respect. Obviously the days of Dick Butkus type players are gone.

But I'm going to paraphrase a few statements, and it took me a while to post this cuz I wanted to be sure.

At this point in life I walk down and f*** them all if you know what I mean!?

At one point when Saleh was asked, you used to be so animated on the sidelines as a DC how come you're not like that now? His answer was these are young men who need to be treated like men and if they need to be yelled at to make of million dollars to play a kid's game, then they don't belong here.

That's really an even give and take attitude, and it's going to attract a certain kind of person. Everybody has a different path and journey in life and some of these guys didn't get the same opportunities.

The second quote I will paraphrase is that he said I don't care where you were drafted how much money you make or whether you're a walk on, if you show me what you can do on the field you will get your time to play.

Again this will attract a certain kind of person. Quite possibly a person who will take advantage of opportunity despite his lack of opportunities. Braxton Berrios comes to mind. So does Wayne Chrebet, George Fant, Mike Devito, and Braylon Edwards. All of these guys were tough bastards who didn't have an easy ride but took advantage of their opportunity.

Saleh and JD come off to me like guys that mean what they say and say what they mean and I think that's really important.

So I think our GM and HC are going to allow the team to make itself. Young aggressive self-starters who take advantage of their opportunity.

That's New York for you...

The God damn New York Jets

A team we can be proud of!!!!!

Adding to your theme with Saleh was the way at the time he was handling the QB situation with Mike White. I could tell the way he was speaking after the Bengals game that had White came out and played similar against the Colts and then Bill’s it was then his job to lose. But, the decision to go back to Zack was much easier when White got hurt against the Colts and then struggled against the Bills. Saleh at the time was being asked about the QB situation moving forward and he was saying “we’ll see”. All other coaches would have just kept saying Zack is our starter. He was being very genuine to give a player an opportunity no matter what the investment was in the initial starter.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

First off congratulations to the elder statesman on this board who have watched this team for decade upon decade. I may be a little long-winded.

JD has put together a team between free agency and the last few drafts and the guy worked his ass off. I think it's obvious that he knows what he's doing. This year's draft was phenomenal and every media outlet has us at least within the top three of the best drafts, and that's on JD.

I apologize that I can't find Robert Saleh in his season ending interview on the Michael Kay show but it was incredible. He didn't say a word that resembled Coach speak. He was pure and genuine and sounded like a guy who was relaxing with a Corona and a lime~

I really like this optic for the Jets. We've been cracking on Woody and Chris Johnson for a long time and I really felt over time that they were genuine and they really want to succeed. I think they really appreciate the fans but New York is a really tough market. We kind of can't wait to give somebody a wedgie or the middle finger right? Lmao!!!!

So here it's Robert Saleh.... He's a new age different kind of coach that shows these young men respect. Obviously the days of Dick Butkus type players are gone.

But I'm going to paraphrase a few statements, and it took me a while to post this cuz I wanted to be sure.

At one point when Saleh was asked, you used to be so animated on the sidelines as a DC how come you're not like that now? His answer was these are young men who need to be treated like men and if they need to be yelled at to make of million dollars to play a kid's game, then they don't belong here.

That's really an even give and take attitude, and it's going to attract a certain kind of person. Everybody has a different path and journey in life and some of these guys didn't get the same opportunities.

The second quote I will paraphrase is that he said I don't care where you were drafted how much money you make or whether you're a walk on, if you show me what you can do on the field you will get your time to play.

Again this will attract a certain kind of person. Quite possibly a person who will take advantage of opportunity despite his lack of opportunities. Braxton Berrios comes to mind. So does Wayne Chrebet, George Fant, Mike Devito, and Braylon Edwards. All of these guys were tough bastards who didn't have an easy ride but took advantage of their opportunity.

Saleh and JD come off to me like guys that mean what they say and say what they mean and I think that's really important.

So I think our GM and HC are going to allow the team to make itself. Young aggressive self-starters who take advantage of their opportunity.

Braylon Edwards was the third overall pick in his draft.

11 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

I'll be proud when there's more wins than losses at the end of the season. Every year people project them to be way better than they will be then the board flips when the obvious becomes apparent until the next offseason of hope. People on here are building the hype to something beyond a 6-8 win season and when it doesn't happen you're gonna lose your sh*t again. 

Yeah well I was more so being complimentary to the GM and the Head Coach and the types of people that they want to work with. However I do believe they will bring good things and I believe this will be a winning season.

I like Saleh and the energy he brings. He is now entering his 2nd season and JD has given him some fresh groceries to cook with. His main job is to break the cycle and culture of losing and give these players a vision of what’s possible. Lefleur game planning taking advantage of players like Hall, Carter, Moore, Berrios, Wilson, Davis. I want to see a Shannahan and Reed type of creativity. Ulbricht bringing attitude, aggressiveness, nastiness and speed to this defense. Unleash the Hounds!

This also needs the support of the vets in the locker room. Tomlinson/Fant/McGovern getting Becton’s head right. That’s why Moses will be missed. Accountability is key….. to each other, to the coaches and to the fan base. There is nothing like winning in NY!

Corey Davis making plays to help his young QB. Offense & Defense Limiting mistakes, penalties. CJ making this his best season prior to bowing out. Lawson taking charge of the DL, QW taking his conditioning to the Aaron Donald level.

Finally, and most importantly, ZW committed to doing whatever it takes to own that huddle. These guys need to know all the bullsh*t stupid mistakes from last year are gone. Play within yourself and always make the smart play. Understanding the situations on the field and how not to help the other team win.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Braylon Edwards was the third overall pick in his draft.

If I remember correctly he had some off the field troubles I believe he had a couple of DWI's?

Again the point of the thread was to compliment the HC because I think he's honest. I think when he says anybody on the team has a chance he means it.

If the right tackle we just drafted blows everybody away, then he'll be starting.

• Upvote 1

I get where the op was going with the thread and do agree with him. 
we appear to have a solid foundation in place and a synergy with head coach/ Gm that probably never existed before or at least in somewhat modern era.

of course the overall response is doesn’t mean a damn thing unless we win games, but the overall direction is looking positive and I believe that is what he was pointing out.

the expectation this year has to be solid play, growth including saleh and competitive games throughout.

Most of us have seen a lot over 50 years but even the strongest of prove it to me have to admit so far, we are better off as a team and overall staff.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Good post.  It surely does feel like we have professionals running the organization for the first time in a very long time.  

The GM and a the HC seem to have a the pulse on the both how today's NFL game is played and how today's NFL player expects to be treated.

They are organized, logical, process driven and seemingly well respected throughout the league.

It is surely a front office we can be proud of....

• Upvote 1

I have been openly critical of this regime but I have to admit I was wrong about this GM on so many levels.

Being a jet fan is like the words of the late great DMX: “All I know is pain, All I feel is rain” 

Thank God we finally have reason for legitimate optimism

• Like 1