If the regime likes Flacco so much

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It is. 

But you asked, so I gave you an honest answer.

Surely, and I appreciated the answer - even if I disagree.

I just meant it was pointless to go back and forth.  You have your position and I have mine - doesn't seem like either of those positions are going to change

Any further debate on this subject would be pointless is all I meant.

9 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Mike white is a 4th year journeyman who had an int% of 3.8 (!) across 3 starts last year. Just to be clear, you think this helps your case? 

If the rule of small sample sizes applies to Zach Wilson (and it does), why doesn't it apply to Mike White?

That 3.8% is effectively 100% due to the Buffalo game, the best Defense in the NFL.

Zach, vs. Buffalo simply didn't even try to produce via the pass, it was one of the most restrained, tbqh fearful performances I've ever watched. 

That is why he didn't throw a similar # of INT's to White that day, not because he was so much better that day.

Again, I don't want to see White as anything but a backup #2.  Over Flacco, who I will remind folks is 2-11 the last three years, a complete loser past any semblance of ability to win a game.  

At some point people really should get past Zach vs. White, when in reality it's Zach + White.  If/when Zach gets hurts again (and that's a real possibility with a smaller-sized QB like Zach) we want someone who can come in and win, not just an old man cashing a check labeled "mentor, lol".

And if that backup isn't Mike White, then I expect our brilliant GM to see that, dump White, and get us a younger, motivated, effective backup to be that guy.  I refuse to accept the "if Zach goes down, the season is over" bullsh*t.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Surely, and I appreciated the answer - even if I disagree.

I just meant it was pointless to go back and forth.  You have your position and I have mine - doesn't seem like either of those positions are going to change

Any further debate on this subject would be pointless is all I meant.

My position is rooting for both our starter (Wilson) and our backup (White, at current) to be the very best they can be.

If that's a position you feel a need to disagree with, ok.   

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

If the rule of small sample sizes applies to Zach Wilson (and it does), why doesn't it apply to Mike White?

That 3.8% is effectively 100% due to the Buffalo game, the best Defense in the NFL.

Zach, vs. Buffalo simply didn't even try to produce via the pass, it was one of the most restrained, tbqh fearful performances I've ever watched. 

That is why he didn't throw a similar # of INT's to White that day, not because he was so much better that day.

Again, I don't want to see White as anything but a backup #2.  Over Flacco, who I will remind folks is 2-11 the last three years, a complete loser past any semblance of ability to win a game.  

At some point people really should get past Zach vs. White, when in reality it's Zach + White.  If/when Zach gets hurts again (and that's a real possibility with a smaller-sized QB like Zach) we want someone who can come in and win, not just an old man cashing a check labeled "mentor, lol".

And if that backup isn't Mike White, then I expect our brilliant GM to see that, dump White, and get us a younger, motivated, effective backup to be that guy.  I refuse to accept the "if Zach goes down, the season is over" bullsh*t.

I want the backup to be mike white, not Flacco. I wouldn’t have even resigned Flacco. I wanted to roll with Wilson and White as QBs 1 and 2 this year. 

The main difference I see between Mike White and Zach Wilson is that this is Wilson’s 1st NFL offseason but Mike White’s fourth.  IMO, Wilson has a better chance of taking a big jump next year than White does, who I would guess basically is what he is by now. 

I’m mostly trolling the Mike white fans, which I enjoy doing very much. 

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

My position is rooting for both our starter (Wilson) and our backup (White, at current) to be the very best they can be.

If that's a position you feel a need to disagree with, ok.   

I completely agree with that position.  
Wanting them to succeed and acknowledging the likely reality are two different things.  

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I want the backup to be mike white, not Flacco. I wouldn’t have even resigned Flacco. I wanted to roll with Wilson and White as QBs 1 and 2 this year. 

The main difference I see between Mike White and Zach Wilson is that this is Wilson’s 1st NFL offseason but Mike White’s fourth.  IMO, Wilson has a better chance of taking a big jump next year than White does, who I would guess basically is what he is by now. 

I’m mostly trolling the Mike white fans, which I enjoy doing very much. 

Same here.  And we're (at least "I'm") trolling you back, which I enjoy doing very much as well (at least on the topic of My Quite).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

War. To be fair the last Buffalo game Zach was playing behind a o line that was missing 60% of its starters and throwing to receivers which really shouldn’t be on a NFL team (with the exception of Berrios) 

As for Flacco waaay over the hill (still has a real good arm   actually kinda reminds me of Testaverde when he was playing in Dallas) just think he’s better than Mike White. Not to say White  can’t win a game or two in the event of injury just think he’s a below average QB. Would love to see him become a modern day version of Pat Ryan but just not seeing it

Would actually like to see the both backup QB position upgraded 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, CSNY said:

War. To be fair the last Buffalo game Zach was playing behind a o line that was missing 60% of its starters and throwing to receivers which really shouldn’t be on a NFL team (with the exception of Berrios) 

As for Flacco waaay over the hill (still has a real good arm   actually kinda reminds me of Testaverde when he was playing in Dallas) just think he’s better than Mike White. Not to say White  can’t win a game or two in the event of injury just think he’s a below average QB. Would love to see him become a modern day version of Pat Ryan but just not seeing it

Would actually like to see the both backup QB position upgraded 

I'd be very interested to see what My Quite could do in this offense. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'd be very interested to see what My Quite could do in this offense. 

Tuscany that’s a very good point ?Wouldn’t mind seeing it myself to make a true determination if White is a viable backup QB 

3 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Tuscany that’s a very good point ?Wouldn’t mind seeing it myself to make a true determination if White is a viable backup QB 

He threw for over 400 yards with crap weapinz against the Super Bowl runner up.  Yes he got overrun by the Bills but we had no OL.  Give him this year's team and, again, I think it would be very interesting to see what he could do.

12 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Kurt Warner:

After playing college football at Northern Iowa from 1990 to 1993, Warner spent four years without being named to an NFL roster. He was signed by the Green Bay Packers in 1994, but released before the regular season and instead played three seasons for the Iowa Barnstormers of the Arena Football League (AFL).

And Tom Brady languished on the bench in NE under the eye of the greatest coach of all time until an injury gave him a chance.   Or maybe they both improved , and when they got the chance,  they were ready?

14 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

And Tom Brady languished on the bench in NE under the eye of the greatest coach of all time until an injury gave him a chance.   Or maybe they both improved , and when they got the chance,  they were ready?

Not true.  Brady worked his way up the depth chart to the point where he was the # 2 QB by the end of his rookie year despite starting the season as the # 4.  He only had to wait until week 2 of his 2nd season to get on the field, which is very quick for a 6th round pick.

I mean f**k Brady and all, but this historical narrative that Belichick saw nothing in Brady until he got his shot is simply false.  

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not true.  Brady worked his way up the depth chart to the point where he was the # 2 QB by the end of his rookie year despite starting the season as the # 4.  He only had to wait until week 2 of his 2nd season to get on the field, which is very quick for a 6th round pick.

I mean f**k Brady and all, but this historical narrative that Belichick saw nothing in Brady until he got his shot is simply false.  

Quibble all you want but he was picked in the 6th rd and and would never have seen the field if Bledsoe didnt get crushed.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Quibble all you want but he was picked in the 6th rd and and would never have seen the field if Bledsoe didnt get crushed.  

Never?  Injuries are part of the game and backups see the field quite a bit in the NFL.  Brady was in year 2 of his career.  He was going to get a shot at some point.  

The only way he would have missed out for sure is if he never rose to the level of a QB2 in the first place.  If he hadn’t don’t that then perhaps John Freisz or Michael Bishop would have been the first one in after Bledsoe’s injury instead. 

It wasn’t a “quibble”.  What you said was false.  Brady certainly didn’t “languish”.   He was picked in the 6th round, yes.  But he was on an upward trajectory in the organization from the jump based on his performance in practice and was the QB2 by the end of his rookie year.  No one would ever argue a QB that accomplished that “languished”.  

Mike White isn’t a great quarterback. He’s slow, has limited arm strength, will throw bad INTs. That said, Zach Wilson fans hate Mike White solely because the Jets team clearly and unequivocally liked playing with Mike White and they clearly dreaded playing with Zach Wilson. Mike White spread the ball around, showed confidence and grit, and the team treated him like a rock start because of it. Those pictures of White being mobbed by teammates after the Bengals game, and the adulation he was receiving in the national press, was a stark contrast to the funereal mood put forth after every Zach start. It’s exactly why Saleh—in his typically ham-fisted, dimwit way—benched White against the Dolphins, because the Jets couldn’t risk having White play well against the 25th ranked defense against the pass, which would have made it impossible to put Zach back in the following week. The Mike White situation was our version of Linsanity, and it ended the same way—with the team burying the inspirational overachiever to protect the feelings of the alleged superstar that nobody on the team wanted to play with. 

54 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Mike White isn’t a great quarterback. He’s slow, has limited arm strength, will throw bad INTs. That said, Zach Wilson fans hate Mike White solely because the Jets team clearly and unequivocally liked playing with Mike White and they clearly dreaded playing with Zach Wilson. Mike White spread the ball around, showed confidence and grit, and the team treated him like a rock start because of it. Those pictures of White being mobbed by teammates after the Bengals game, and the adulation he was receiving in the national press, was a stark contrast to the funereal mood put forth after every Zach start. It’s exactly why Saleh—in his typically ham-fisted, dimwit way—benched White against the Dolphins, because the Jets couldn’t risk having White play well against the 25th ranked defense against the pass, which would have made it impossible to put Zach back in the following week. The Mike White situation was our version of Linsanity, and it ended the same way—with the team burying the inspirational overachiever to protect the feelings of the alleged superstar that nobody on the team wanted to play with. 

Think About It Reaction GIF by Big Potato Games

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

10 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

1. Belichick didn't draft Brady.

2. Pioli drafted Brady

3. Brady's competition for #2 was Michael Bishop who didn't even belong in the NFL

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Mike White played like a lesser-Chad Pennington.  Clearly and unquestionably physically limited, but generally making good, smart, fast decisions, till he hit a Defense (Buffalo) that was so overpoweringly good he couldn't think his way past their superior talent and our lack thereof.

Zach Wilson played like alot of obviously unready rookie QB's do as rookies.  Full of mistakes, bad throws, bad decisions, and overall bad play (lowest rated starting QB in the NFL), with some infrequent flashes of top-tier talents and even one or two pretty decent games, and an upward swing as the season wore on.  Like those rookies that came before him, he'll have to make a massive step in year 2 to justify his draft spot and validate ongoing investment in him.

Mike White is alot like a slightly worse Taylor Heineke, clearly unsuited to be a #1 QB due to lack of physical traits, but able at times to produce decently. 

Zach is like every other horrible-as-a-rookie top-drafted QB.  He could rise spectacularly, like a Manning, or fall, like a Tim Couch or a hundred others.  No way to know till we see it.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

45 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Mike White played like a lesser-Chad Pennington.  Clearly and unquestionably physically limited, but generally making good, smart, fast decisions, till he hit a Defense (Buffalo) that was so overpoweringly good he couldn't think his way past their superior talent and our lack thereof.

Zach Wilson played like alot of obviously unready rookie QB's do as rookies.  Full of mistakes, bad throws, bad decisions, and overall bad play (lowest rated starting QB in the NFL), with some infrequent flashes of top-tier talents and even one or two pretty decent games, and an upward swing as the season wore on.  Like those rookies that came before him, he'll have to make a massive step in year 2 to justify his draft spot and validate ongoing investment in him.

Mike White is alot like a slightly worse Taylor Heineke, clearly unsuited to be a #1 QB due to lack of physical traits, but able at times to produce decently. 

Zach is like every other horrible-as-a-rookie top-drafted QB.  He could rise spectacularly, like a Manning, or fall, like a Tim Couch or a hundred others.  No way to know till we see it.

I (manually) checked Chad's game logs and he never threw for 400 yards in a single game in his entire career.  Mike White does play a style similar to Chad (a lot of underneath stuff where he hits guys in stride) but he has a stronger arm.   Though he didn't seem very accurate on his longer passes.  

• Sympathy 1

Have to admit I laughed at reading JD and Co being called "The Regime".  Maybe it's time like to start calling other parts of the team by more official-sounding names?

Robert Saleh: "Supreme Commander" (that title would work well in Washington).   Or maybe "HC of the NYJ-In-Chief"?

Mike LaFleur: "Secretary of Offense"

Jeff Ulbrich: "Minister of Defense"

Brant Boyer: "The Head of Special Teams Operations".

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I (manually) checked Chad's game logs and he never threw for 400 yards in a single game in his entire career.  

Far be it for me to be defending Chad Pennington, but I do think he would have been able to throw for 400+ a few times in today's NFL.  

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Far be it for me to be defending Chad Pennington, but I do think he would have been able to throw for 400+ a few times in today's NFL.  

Hell. Joe Kapp & Bobby Douglas can throw for 400 yards in todays NFL

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

With the personnel that My Quite was working with in the Cincy game?

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

You have an active imagination.  :)

Pennington is the exact kind of passer who would benefit from todays style of football.  He’d be accurate without having to worry about DBs manhandling WRs.  Physical DBs were a menace for Pennington.  He’d have some space to breathe in the 2022 version of the NFL.  

And stop calling Mike White “My Quite”.  No one finds it entertaining.

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Pennington is the exact kind of passer who would benefit from todays style of football.  He’d be accurate without having to worry about DBs manhandling WRs.  Physical DBs were a menace for Pennington.  He’d have some space to breathe in the 2022 version of the NFL.  

And stop calling Mike White “My Quite”.  No one finds it entertaining.

2060157949_ChadPennington.thumb.jpg.70ed7fe7ff8ca78cd5360fcc2c262a6d.jpg