2 Undrafted Wide Receivers Turn Heads at Jets Rookie Minicamp

2 Undrafted Wide Receivers Turn Heads at Jets Rookie Minicamp

https://heavy.com/sports/new-york-jets/irvin-charles-calvin-jackson-rookie-minicamp/

By Michael Obermuller
Updated May 7, 2022 at 5:01pm

The New York Jets have made some major strides at building organizational depth the past few offseasons, but there are still a couple of positions that general manager Joe Douglas can beef up a bit.

One is wide receiver. The franchise signed Corey Davis and drafted rising stars like Garrett Wilson and Elijah Moore over the past two years. They also have a former second-round pick on the roster in Denzel Mims, as well as slot-receiver extraordinaire Braxton Berrios.

Beyond that, however, the options are limited. Once you start bringing up players like Jeff Smith and D.J. Montgomery, Jets fans think back on bad memories of the injury-ridden core of seasons past. The franchise could use some competitive depth in this area and two UDFAs might have a leg up in the early stages of the offseason.

After rookie minicamp on May 7, head coach Robert Saleh told reporters that there are “definitely four or five [non-roster rookies] that really really stood out and are definitely going to be a discussion here over the next day with regards to getting on this 90-man roster.”

Considering the Jets still have cuts to make if all the previously reported UDFAs sign, it’s pretty jarring that Coach Saleh is considering “four or five” rookie camp invites.

The hottest name on the list of non-roster players might be wide receiver Calvin Jackson Jr., out of Washington State. On May 6, Pro Football Network reporter Mike Kaye noted that Jackson “turned down two other tryouts” in favor of the Jets and Miami Dolphins — who plan to get a look at him next week.

After some early hype surrounding his performance this weekend, who knows if the Jets allow Jackson to board a plane to Miami. New York Daily News beat reporter DJ Bien-Aime fanned the flames on Twitter during the May 7 tryouts.

“Calvin Jackson try out receiver for the Jets has made two contested catches on 7 on 7,” he informed. “Maybe he gets signed.”

If the name sounds familiar, Jackson was a teammate of Jets’ new defensive end Jermaine Johnson II on the Netflix documentary series “Last Chance U.” The popular television series selects different junior colleges to spotlight for a season and followed Independence Community College when Johnson and Jackson were in attendance.

The 5-foot-10 wideout finally got his shot at Washington State in 2021, torching competition with 66 receptions and 987 yards through the air. He added seven touchdowns in 13 games played.

Another wide receiver caught the attention of Bien-Aime at rookie minicamp and it was signed UDFA Irvin Charles. Now, to be clear, Charles already has a roster spot while Jackson does not.

The former Penn State and IUP wide receiver was one of the five signings announced on May 6 and like his JUCO competitor, Charles has a very unique backstory.

According to Sam Fremin of the “Onward State” newsletter, Charles last played for the Nittany Lions in 2017. After being dismissed from the team for violating team rules, the 6-foot-4 wideout transferred to IUP but didn’t play until 2021.

Charles declared for the pros this year after a 792-yard season with 12 touchdowns. The talent definitely appears to be there for the WR prospect, but some obvious off-the-field flags might have kept him from getting selected.

Based on each of their long journeys to Florham Park, it stands to reason that both Jackson and Charles are older than the average NFL rookie.

Follow @obermuller_nyj and @BoyGreen25 on Twitter for all the latest New York Jets breaking news, rumors, fresh takes and more!

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Can we just pretend their names are "Calvin Johnson Jr" and "Irvin Michael"?

I had the same reaction to Calvin Jackson's name, but Irvin MIchael is a bit of a reach, don't ya think?

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Alka said:

If one of these undrafted wide receivers make the final roster

Odds say they won't.

34 minutes ago, Alka said:

, I don't see Mims surviving the final cuts.

Odds say he will.

Nice to see the annual "Wayne Chrebet Sweepstakes of Fan Overreation to No-Name WR's" continues unabated, lol.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Odds say they won't.

Odds say he will.

Nice to see the annual "Wayne Chrebet Sweepstakes of Fan Overreation to No-Name WR's" continues unabated, lol.

Every year.

Burnett, Clowney (who made the team and did nothing), Cager.  WR room is stacked.

I think there’s a chance Mims turns things around and steps into Cory Davis spot next year. Maybe.

• Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Every year.

Burnett, Clowney (who made the team and did nothing), Cager.  WR room is stacked.

I think there’s a chance Mims turns things around and steps into Cory Davis spot next year. Maybe.

Nothing wrong with it, it's fun for some folks, gives them something to be excited about in rookie camp I suppose.

But I am SOOOOOO excited to watch Wilson - Moore - Davis - Mims - Berrios.  There is so much potential in that group, I don't need tryout longshots to be excited right now. :)

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

This is a problem.

What are we going to do with all these great wide receivers?  Sounds like the Jets will be forced to cut some future Pro Bowlers.

It's unclear at the moment if Garrett Wilson will make the team.  Potential PS player.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

DJ Bien-Aime, how many people trust a Dolphins fan working the Jets beat. He is an upgrade over Mehta but still he is a Dolphins fan, friends with players etc. Dont like it.

I actually like him. He went from jets hater to jets fan. It’s been cool watching the front office/team win him over.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

DJ Bien-Aime, how many people trust a Dolphins fan working the Jets beat. He is an upgrade over Mehta but still he is a Dolphins fan, friends with players etc. Dont like it.

I'm skeptical but he appears to be spot on his take about Bryce Hall being a liability last year. Jets added Sauce and Reed to bounce Hall to back up reps.

• Upvote 1

Their  WR room could be much different next year with Corey Davis likely gone and Mims status up in the air until he proves otherwise.  only chance is to hopefully get stashed on the practice squad this year barring numerous injuries.  Many fans root for these under dog guys but reality is we have a pretty decent WR room for a change.  These guys better play special teams too.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Do know who the beat guys are fans of?  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

I'm skeptical but he appears to be spot on his take about Bryce Hall being a liability last year. Jets added Sauce and Reed to bounce Hall to back up reps.

I am not doubting his credibility he is more engaged  and brings a better perspective than Manish. It really has nothing to do with his reporting, it’s his affiliations with the Dolphins and their players. I am sure he can give some insight if asked, but I’m paranoid with sh*t like this, so.