2 Undrafted Wide Receivers Turn Heads at Jets Rookie Minicamp

Lith

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Odds say they won't.

Odds say he will.

Nice to see the annual "Wayne Chrebet Sweepstakes of Fan Overreation to No-Name WR's" continues unabated, lol.

This is a New Yorker Thing.

Dudes like Alka, Connor Hughes and Fake Assman think they know more than the Jet Coaching Staff and smell blood in the water. For them running players out of town who they don't approve of is kind of a Sport so they feel duty bound to take their best shot. Over and over and over again.

This is a contributing factor in the minds of players who have to consider whether to hang around on the team when their Rookie Contract is up.

As others have alluded to Corey Davis's contract contains only 660,000 bucks in guaranteed money for 2023 and counts 12 Million Dollars against the Cap if the Jets keep him. If Davis gets nicked up again and starts losing starts and playing time it would seem unlikely the Jets hang on to him for 2023.

Mims on the other hand is pulling down 2 to 2.5 million per year. He is working for peanuts. If he shows any sort of development and proves himself a credible threat it makes sense to keep him around purely based on a business decision. Mims is low risk for the Jets right now. He has the unique combination of Height and Speed a combination only possessed by Davis. Even Garrett Wilson is on the smallish side (6'0"). The extra 3 inches Mims has makes a big difference when coverage is tight.

When the final Depth Chart is announced after Training Camp I would expect to see Davis and Moore announced as the Game 1 Starters with Wilson listed behind Davis and Mims listed behind Moore. If either of the two starters get injured then Mims is next in line to start. There is no need to rush Wilson into a starting role. Injuries happen and he will get his reps this year.

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Nothing wrong with it, it's fun for some folks, gives them something to be excited about in rookie camp I suppose.

But I am SOOOOOO excited to watch Wilson - Moore - Davis - Mims - Berrios.  There is so much potential in that group, I don't need tryout longshots to be excited right now. :)

If we had Aaron Rodgers they’d be talking about us a Super Bowl contender with the offensive roster, maybe a year for the pups to mature.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lith said:

According to Sam Fremin of the “Onward State” newsletter, Charles last played for the Nittany Lions in 2017. After being dismissed from the team for violating team rules, the 6-foot-4 wideout transferred to IUP but didn’t play until 2021.

GIF by Achievement Hunter

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@BornJetsFan1983 is hoping we cut a CURRENT Pro Bowler.

Interesting.  Not sure who that is but we should probably keep him.

They also have a former second-round pick on the roster in Denzel Mims, as well as slot-receiver extraordinaire Braxton Berrios.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

Odds say they won't.

Odds say he will.

Nice to see the annual "Wayne Chrebet Sweepstakes of Fan Overreation to No-Name WR's" continues unabated, lol.

If Mims makes the roster this year, then all the power to him.  Mims got a multitude of opportunities last season, and he showed no heart.  That's right, no heart.

If he is able to turn things around, then I will be extremely happy for him.  But I call it the way I see it, and until he proves otherwise, the only reason he is still on this roster is because he was a 2nd round draft pick. If he was a cat, his 9 lives are gone.  No safety net now.  He has to prove it on the field. and I say the odds are that he isa goner.

Believe it or not, I want to be proven wrong.  I mean that sincerely.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alka said:

If Mims makes the roster this year, then all the power to him.  Mims got a multitude of opportunities last season, and he showed no heart.  That's right, no heart.

No anything, really.

1 hour ago, Alka said:

If he is able to turn things around, then I will be extremely happy for him.

I don't care about him, I'll be happy for US.

1 hour ago, Alka said:

But I call it the way I see it

Do you think there are people here who call it as they don't see it, outside the obvious trolls? :-k

1 hour ago, Alka said:

, and until he proves otherwise, the only reason he is still on this roster is because he was a 2nd round draft pick.

And what flashed he showed in year 1.

1 hour ago, Alka said:

If he was a cat, his 9 lives are gone.  No safety net now.  He has to prove it on the field. and I say the odds are that he isa goner.

Maybe 7 of 9 are gone.  I'd agree that 2022 is likely his last shot here.  

1 hour ago, Alka said:

Believe it or not, I want to be proven wrong.  I mean that sincerely.

No reason to doubt you.  As @slats will tell you, I've been a very harsh critic of the Mims pick and of Mims.

But we need to see what he does this year.  Same as with Becton.  Both showed special flashed in year 1, then bombed (or got hurt) in year 2.  So year three is the tie-breaker in both cases, as to their future here.

Looking forward to it.

6 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Some yes.  DJ is a known Dolphins fan, and interacts with Dolphins players and staff. He is well know down here in the community. 

Actually we dont.  We know who DJ was and all of the others are mysteries to us, which is what I was asking, we all know where DJ came from and who he rooted for as a Miami resident.  But who Cimini, Serby, Hughes etc rooted for?  No and those arent close to all of the usual suspects 

On 5/8/2022 at 12:41 PM, jetstream23 said:

This is a problem.

What are we going to do with all these great wide receivers?  Sounds like the Jets will be forced to cut some future Pro Bowlers.

Get them a QB who can throw it to them.