Is/Was Your Mother a Jets Fan?

37 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Did they ever attend a game?

My mother never watched an NFL football game in her life.

My Dad was a Bengals fan.  When he came to the States, he liked their helmet/colors, nothing more.  

• Upvote 1

My mom rooted for the Jets.  She enjoyed the celebrity element of the Broadway Joe era but didn't know a blessed thing about the game.  She was a Jets fan because her dad, my grandfather, a long time football fan, would take me to at least 3 or 4 games every year (as well as lots of Mets and occasional Knicks). He was a broken hearted Dodgers fan who grew up in Brooklyn.  He became Mets/Jets fan in the early 60's and I started to attend in the mid 60's.   My mom was just happy we spent time together.  That meant root for the Jets.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

My Mom attended exactly one NFL game: The final home game in the Meadowlands in ‘09 against the Bengals.  

It was one of the coldest games ever and someone peed on the car while my mom was inside it.  

Oh, and all game, a guy in their section spent it trying to get the metal seat # off the seat.  He was finally successful late in the game, which elicited cheers from the section, lol.

Welcome to Jets football Mom!  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, undertow said:

My mom was a fan of booze and cigarettes. lol

Back in the 60s/70s, that was just part of the deal.  Young folks today could not imagine the amount of smoke and booze going down during kid's birthday parties, outside church, school bake sales, etc.  LOL!

My son still doesn't believe my Little League coaches (various of our Dads) would drink beer and smoke during our practices.  

Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms who are still with us or who we remember with fondness and love (maybe a bit of humor, too).

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Larz said:

Nope. That saint must have sat through thousands of sports events she wasn’t interested in to be with us knuckleheads lol

Same with my mom.  Dad was a different story.  Mets, Jets and Rangers fan.  Huge fan actually.  

My mom is the reason I'm a Jets fan. She's took me to my first game in the 90s and a bunch more after that. My grandma rooted for the Jets because of us but she and most of my family are/were Giants fans

• Sympathy 3

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

No, but my mother was Brooklyn Irish and she instilled within me the understanding that everything is a struggle and life is a succession of miseries, which led me to love the Jets. 

RLLOL!  I have the Italian version where the world, if not the universe, is a second away from collapsing into a dark void.

7 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Did they ever attend a game?

My mom never attended a Jets game.  My dad had season tickets every year as a result of having tickets for his business.  My dad and I went to many Jets games over the years, and it was always great memories. I've been to so many games, and have so many wonderful and not so wonderful memories.

I was at the AFC Championship game in 1969 between the Jets and the Raiders.  

I was at the Miracle at the Meadowlands game.

I was at the Fake Spike game.  Very sad.

I was at the Jets Miami game where the Jets won 51-45 in overtime, and Wesley Walker won the game with catching a bomb and running into the end zone for the winning score. 

So many great memories.  I was very fortunate. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

No, but my mother was Brooklyn Irish and she instilled within me the understanding that everything is a struggle and life is a succession of miseries, which led me to love the Jets. 

Mine too... Lived by Prospect Park, Dad's from Rockaway. Both have rooted for the Dolphins since we moved to Florida in 1974. F*cking traitors.... ? 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Lith said:

No.  Mom followed the Jets when I was a kid.  Don't remember her ever going to a game with me and my dad, athough maybe she did when I was very young.  Mom follows football, but roots for the home team in whatever market she lives.  Moved to Seattle, rooted for the Seahawks. 

Now she lives in South Florida, roots for the Phins.  She has been a great mom, but I guess nobody is perfect.

The lure and warm convenient comfort of local fandom is alluring, make no mistake.