Peter King bringing the hype level down a notch (or ten)

“I’m not a fan of grading drafts, as you know. For perspective, three years ago, the 4th, 10th and 26th picks in the first round were Clelin Ferrell, Devin Bush and Montez Sweat, and only Sweat had his fifth-year option exercised by his team this spring. Projecting GREAT DRAFTS!!!!! a week after they happen is fool’s gold.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/05/09/jets-draft-nfl-fmia-peter-king/

1 minute ago, Greensleeves said:

He's right, we would have been better off with his beloved Pats draft. SMH

He actually criticized the Patriots pretty badly.

“The Patriots picked a player way higher than the rest of the league projected him to go, and I criticized Bill Belichick for it. Big deal. We all have jobs to do, and sometimes the greatest coach in the game does something I don’t agree with and I point it out.”

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Alka said:

This is a very stupid analogy.  This is like saying that 22 years ago, the 198th pick was Tom Brady, and 30 years ago, the 167th pick was Joe Klecko.  Just look how valuable the 198th and 167th picks are!!!  

Wow!! I wish I had those picks for the future.  Just dumb.  

And he goes back 3 years to make his point!  Why not go to last years draft?  Why pick a draft several years ago that falls into your narrative?   Really dumb.  He really must think his readers are very stupid.

He did it to use the picking up of the 5th year option as a measuring stick.  Not completely arbitrary.  He did mention the same picks in the draft before that.  Eli Apple, Patrick Mahomes, Josh Rosen.  I generally despise King as much as anyone but I can't beat him too harshly for this bit.  It was actually reasonable (by his standards, very much so).

• Sympathy 1

“I’m not a fan of grading drafts, as you know. For perspective, three years ago, the 4th, 10th and 26th picks in the first round were Clelin Ferrell, Devin Bush and Montez Sweat, and only Sweat had his fifth-year option exercised by his team this spring. Projecting GREAT DRAFTS!!!!! a week after they happen is fool’s gold.”

The Ferrell pick was criticized immensely at the time and many new it was a terrible pick. It's apples to oranges as no one said those three players were the best at their position, but yes, the point stands that grading drafts is meaningless and just based on the numbers it's likely that one of our Top 36 picks will be a bust. That's just how it works. It'll be a legendary draft if all four players work out.

Grading drafts is pointless but it's also fun and gives the media tons of content to work with during an an otherwise quiet time of year. 

• Upvote 1

Funny that he got called out for essentially ignoring the Jets, and their generally very highly praised draft, in last week's stream of consciousness.

This week's piece about the Jets reads to me as something he was told to do by his editors, so he has done it grudgingly.

I hope it was painful for him.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3

20 minutes ago, Alka said:

This is a very stupid analogy.  This is like saying that 22 years ago, the 198th pick was Tom Brady, and 30 years ago, the 167th pick was Joe Klecko.  Just look how valuable the 198th and 167th picks are!!!  

Wow!! I wish I had those picks for the future.  Just dumb.  

And he goes back 3 years to make his point!  Why not go to last years draft?  Why pick a draft several years ago that falls into your narrative?   Really dumb.  He really must think his readers are very stupid.

Anyone who reads or listens to his crap are most definitely stupid. In fact, they give stupid people a bad name. 

For the record, he also said this: 

I’m not sure I’m in league with Greenberg when he says, “Dramatic improvement is a very reasonable expectation.” But I do know this: The Jets have a plan, with a GM who’s executing it well, and they have a chance. Finally, long-term, they have a chance.

That’s about as good as you’re gonna get from King on the jets. They have to prove it first, and that’s a reasonable take. I am super optimistic too, but they're still the jets. We’ve done the “this time for real” stuff before. Show me. 

• Upvote 2

Ferrel and bush were massive reaches.   2019 draft sucked.

This draft is weak as hell as well which is too bad for the jets.

When looking at a draft to me you have to look at how a team did compared to what was in front of them.

The Jets had a great draft with what was in front of them.

• Upvote 1

Draft grades are dumb but the logic he uses as to why, is pretty moronic.  I could hedge every pick in the first round with well, "this one time, that pick was a bust, so like, dont get your hopes up".  Pretty dumb.  Reminds me of the "dont pick a position from this college because history" logic during the draft.

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, Facts said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/05/09/jets-draft-nfl-fmia-peter-king/

3 years ago, everyone excoriated the Raiders for taking Ferrell at 4. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Yeah, no S**T Peter King! 

But the whole point of grading drafts is NOT projecting whether or not these prospects will pan out, its judging the selection of said prospect based on need/availability/ranking, etc. Thats why the grades typically come out RIGHT AWAY. 

So yes, in hindsight, if Sauce, Wilson and JJ all bust this will be one of the worst drafts in NYJ history. And conversely, if Strange, Thornton and Marcus Jones end up being Pro Bowlers, BB would have hit it out of the park.    

However, that's NOT what we are grading here. We are grading what players JD was able to get where based on the needs for this team. And he got one of if not THE top CB prospects, one of if not THE top WR prospects and one of if not THE top Edge prospects. ALL NEEDS. ALL GUYS THAT FIT THE SYSTEM AND CULTURE.  Then he gets one of, if not THE top RBs in the class. And at least with one of those guys (JJ), you KNOW he got value. I don't care what anyone says about where he was 'expected' to go before the hype. JJ DEFINITELY slipped in the draft, for one reason or another. 

Then to top things off, JD picks up Ruckert, Mitchell and Clemons. 

You don't even need to know anything about the Jets needs or system or coaches to grade this and A draft. Just based on prospects alone its an A draft. You look at needs, culture and system fit its hard not to give it an A+.   

Yelling All Caps GIF by John Crist Comedy

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Facts said:

He actually criticized the Patriots pretty badly.

“The Patriots picked a player way higher than the rest of the league projected him to go, and I criticized Bill Belichick for it. Big deal. We all have jobs to do, and sometimes the greatest coach in the game does something I don’t agree with and I point it out.”

Yeah you notice has to get in 'the greatest coach in the game' lap dog comment.

BB, great coach, BB total stink fest GM and it i far from this one draft, he has stunk for years as the GM.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Ferrel and bush were massive reaches.   2019 draft sucked.

This draft is weak as hell as well which is too bad for the jets.

When looking at a draft to me you have to look at how a team did compared to what was in front of them.

The Jets had a great draft with what was in front of them.

I think its actually great the way this draft went down considering the fact that it was a 'weak draft'. JD got the best players at their positions. Frankly, at almost every position. I truly believe the Jets felt like JJ was the best Pass Rusher for them in this draft, Sauce was the best CB, Wilson was the best WR, Hall was the best RB and Ruckert was the best TE. When you have a 'weak' draft class, you at least want to get the creme of the crop and JD did just that, even if it required two trade ups.   

• Upvote 4

By the way there's actually a ton to like about Cole Strange 

Did everyone think he'd go later? Sure 

But He's a JD level RAS freak and an instant starter. He broad jumped 10 feet which is like a skill position measurement. The only ol prospect who ever broad jumped further was Tristan wirfs.

Could be another Joe thuney 

• Upvote 1

As one GM told me: “I could see the receiver position becoming like running backs. Get as much out of the receiver in his first contract and then, after four or five years, let him go and draft another one high. There are so many good receivers now, I’m not sure they’re all going to get paid going forward.” Tennessee, for instance, simply swapped one physical 4.5-speed, 225-pound receiver (A.J. Brown) for another (Treylon Burks) and will pray that Burks can be 90 percent the player for the Titans that Brown was. That’s a very big ask. In the end, one team not paying big money to a QB (Philadelphia) could afford Brown, and one team paying a QB (Tennessee) couldn’t. Or calculated that it couldn’t.

I’ve said this, too. Really hard to tell where the position will go with these guys signing $25M/year contracts this offseason. And colleges are just producing more, better, NFL-ready WRs than ever before. Denzel Mims aside, the narrative about WRs taking three years to develop has been over for some time. I definitely believe that Joe Douglas really wanted to pay one of these guys one of these huge contracts, but maybe it was good fortune that he couldn’t. 

• Upvote 3

Rich Eisen is a Jets fan, but he still reports on the NFL fairly and he uses his love of the Jets in clever, amusing ways.

Peter King is a smarmy a$$hole Patriots fan that let's that bias slip into everything he does. It's super lame

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Tranquilo said:

For perspective, the 4th, 10th, and 26th picks last year were Kyle Pitts, DeVonta Smith and Greg Newsome II.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? None of them are proven yet. Kyle Pitts actually pissed me off. I was expecting a big year and he did jack squat for me in fantasy ?