Peter King bringing the hype level down a notch (or ten)

1 minute ago, Facts said:

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? None of them are proven yet. Kyle Pitts actually pissed me off. I was expecting a big year and he did jack squat for me in fantasy ?

I know what you mean, but he was still really good for a TE. He's gonna be a beast this year, trust.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

By the way there's actually a ton to like about Cole Strange 

Did everyone think he'd go later? Sure 

But He's a JD level RAS freak and an instant starter. He broad jumped 10 feet which is like a skill position measurement. The only ol prospect who ever broad jumped further was Tristan wirfs.

Could be another Joe thuney 

I think you mistyped "Patriotsnation.com"

• Haha 3

The Jets draft grade varies depending on how you view Jermaine Johnson. Was Johnson a top 10 Caliber player who luckily fell to the Jets? Or is Johnson a 2nd round talent in a draft without many Blue Chip players, who went where he was suppose to go?

BB builds his team with an objective to win games.  He needed a G that could do what he needed him to do.  Strange was not going to be there when the Patriots picked next.  So BB picked him, he is worth what he will get paid and BB filled a hole in the team that he is building.  That sounds a lot more sensical to me than the Maccagnan “value” approach where you take players like Darron Lee that don’t even fit the 3-4 defense.  

JD is obviously doing his own thing but working with Saleh and Lafleur.     After his Becton/Mims dalliance, the reason that people like this draft is because we do believe that were not going to see Gholston or Devin Smith.  These guys will play football.  I don’t know whether any of them will be All-Pros (probably Sauce eventually), but they will contribute and be good football players.  The floors are high, and given what FA/second contracts cost, they are good value.  

So I think both the Jets and the Patriots did right in this draft. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, varjet said:

BB builds his team with an objective to win games.  He needed a G that could do what he needed him to do.  Strange was not going to be there when the Patriots picked next.  So BB picked him, he is worth what he will get paid and BB filled a hole in the team that he is building.  That sounds a lot more sensical to me than the Maccagnan “value” approach where you take players like Darron Lee that don’t even fit the 3-4 defense.  

JD is obviously doing his own thing but working with Saleh and Lafleur.     After his Becton/Mims dalliance, the reason that people like this draft is because we do believe that were not going to see Gholston or Devin Smith.  These guys will play football.  I don’t know whether any of them will be All-Pros (probably Sauce eventually), but they will contribute and be good football players.  The floors are high, and given what FA/second contracts cost, they are good value.  

So I think both the Jets and the Patriots did right in this draft. 

The pats traded a perfectly serviceable guard in shaq mason for a 5th round pick.  They then had a hole they had to fill with a 1st rounder.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

But He's a JD level RAS freak and an instant starter. He broad jumped 10 feet which is like a skill position measurement. The only ol prospect who ever broad jumped further was Tristan wirfs.

Of course this is your take on an O-Lineman.  Of course.

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Ferrel and bush were massive reaches.   2019 draft sucked.

This draft is weak as hell as well which is too bad for the jets.

When looking at a draft to me you have to look at how a team did compared to what was in front of them.

The Jets had a great draft with what was in front of them.

I'm certainly not going to argue that this draft was weak.  But Sauce Gardner didn't give up a touchdown since high school.  His measurables are impressive.  I realize I'm throwing this out there, but I think Sauce Gardner is a top 10 pick in just about any draft of any year.  Breece Hall said that at looking at his statistics, and comparing them to other players in earlier years getting picked in the first round of the draft, his numbers are comparable.  If he was being drafted last year, he would definitely had gone sooner than when we got Michael Carter at the top of the 4th round.  He most surely would still have been a 2nd round pick.

As far as Wilson and Jermaine Johnson go, I wonder how they would have done in past drafts, but I really think that Wilson is a 1st round pick in any draft.  Perhaps not a #10 pick, but certainly somewhere in the first round.  Jermaine Johnson I really can't say.  I wish I could compare him to someone, but I can't really think right now regarding him.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Alka said:

I'm certainly not going to argue that this draft was weak.  But Sauce Gardner didn't give up a touchdown since high school.  His measurables are impressive.  I realize I'm throwing this out there, but I think Sauce Gardner is a top 10 pick in just about any draft of any year.  Breece Hall said that at looking at his statistics, and comparing them to other players in earlier years getting picked in the first round of the draft, his numbers are comparable.  If he was being drafted last year, he would definitely had gone sooner than when we got Michael Carter at the top of the 4th round.  He most surely would still have been a 2nd round pick.

As far as Wilson and Jermaine Johnson go, I wonder how they would have done in past drafts, but I really think that Wilson is a 1st round pick in any draft.  Perhaps not a #10 pick, but certainly somewhere in the first round.  Jermaine Johnson I really can't say.  I wish I could compare him to someone, but I can't really think right now regarding him.

This is how I became good with the idea of Sauce before the draft, not just because he was the most likely non-Ekwonu. He was arguably the top prospect overall, a genuine blue chip player. 

Pretty much agree all around. Hall’s size/speed/production gets him drafted in the first two rounds any year. I like Wilson, but second rounder Elijah Moore was probably a better prospect coming out. I’m just hoping for the best from Johnson. I like his attitude and motor. Hope these guys really did see something that most of the experts didn’t. I don’t think many teams had a first round grade on him this year. 

9 hours ago, Facts said:

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? None of them are proven yet. Kyle Pitts actually pissed me off. I was expecting a big year and he did jack squat for me in fantasy ?

Pitts had a very good rookie year.  Just needed a few TDs and it would have been elite.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if he's the #1 TE in fantasy next year.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, bitonti said:

Who were 1-6?

12 hours ago, Facts said:

“I’m not a fan of grading drafts, as you know. For perspective, three years ago, the 4th, 10th and 26th picks in the first round were Clelin Ferrell, Devin Bush and Montez Sweat, and only Sweat had his fifth-year option exercised by his team this spring. Projecting GREAT DRAFTS!!!!! a week after they happen is fool’s gold.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/05/09/jets-draft-nfl-fmia-peter-king/

Why 3 years ago?

15 hours ago, Facts said:

“I’m not a fan of grading drafts, as you know. For perspective, three years ago, the 4th, 10th and 26th picks in the first round were Clelin Ferrell, Devin Bush and Montez Sweat, and only Sweat had his fifth-year option exercised by his team this spring. Projecting GREAT DRAFTS!!!!! a week after they happen is fool’s gold.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/05/09/jets-draft-nfl-fmia-peter-king/

Translation:

The Pats draft sucked ass

14 hours ago, slats said:

I like Wilson, but second rounder Elijah Moore was probably a better prospect coming out.

I don't follow college football too much, so I will take you on your word for that.  And if that's the case, then the only reason I can see why Moore lasted as long as he did was due to his diminutive height.

As for Wilson, I see greatness in him.  After watching his tape, he reminds me so much of the Jets Wesley Walker.  I'm old enough to have watched every single play of Walker's career, and they look so similar.

Walker was 6'0" and weighed 179 pounds, and Wilson is 5'11" 3/4" according to his scouting report and weighs 183 pounds.  Pretty much identical.

Wesley Walker was a burner, but had great hands and the ability to stop and start along with immediate quickness, much like Wilson as I see on his tape.

If Wilson turns out to be anything like Wesley Walker, then he will be a pro-bowl player, for sure, just like Wesley Walker was.

We can only hope.

• Upvote 2

a good example of why greenie is a moron.  not obrien over marino but giving the jets criticism for picking toon over rice.  toon was on heck of a receiver.  he left the game due to injury not because he wasn't as good as the other guy.  this isn't taking a thing from rice. but rice played on better teams with better qb's.

“The greatest statistic in NFL history concerns the Jets draft,” Mike Greenberg said. “They picked Ken O’Brien over Dan Marino, Al Toon over Jerry Rice

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, rangerous said:

a good example of why greenie is a moron.  not obrien over marino but giving the jets criticism for picking toon over rice.  toon was on heck of a receiver.  he left the game due to injury not because he wasn't as good as the other guy.  this isn't taking a thing from rice. but rice played on better teams with better qb's.

“The greatest statistic in NFL history concerns the Jets draft,” Mike Greenberg said. “They picked Ken O’Brien over Dan Marino, Al Toon over Jerry Rice

FWIW, O'Brien was 8-7 vs Marino.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Agreed. Allegedly, Al Toon was the receiver that Bill Walsh really coveted that year. He was a fantastic player before concussions took him out. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

23 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Ferrel and bush were massive reaches.   2019 draft sucked.

This draft is weak as hell as well which is too bad for the jets.

When looking at a draft to me you have to look at how a team did compared to what was in front of them.

The Jets had a great draft with what was in front of them.

don't remember Bush being reach at all. him and white where the clear cut 1st rd linebackers that year.  but agree with the rest of your take.

18 hours ago, adb280z said:

Pitts had a very good rookie year.  Just needed a few TDs and it would have been elite.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if he's the #1 TE in fantasy next year.

I guess we just have different definitions of "very good". To me, 68 receptions and 1 TD is about as "blah" as you can get for a top 10 pick. He had 4 or less receptions in 12 of his games.

1 hour ago, Facts said:

I guess we just have different definitions of "very good". To me, 68 receptions and 1 TD is about as "blah" as you can get for a top 10 pick. He had 4 or less receptions in 12 of his games.

TEs notoriously start slow in their rookie years, regardless of how high they’re drafted.  Pitts was indeed very good, and already has the look of a top 5 TE.  And voters clearly agreed with that given he grabbed one of the 4 Pro Bowl spots.  

On 5/9/2022 at 1:17 PM, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Everybody on the planet not named Tony Pauline thought Clelin Ferrel was an embarrassing reach.

C Ferrell was drafted because he was second player graded behind n Bosa what the Raiders were looking for their De in Paul Gunther defense.   Sure it hasn’t work out, but c Ferrell still has a chance to have big year.    ( Patrick Graham defense fits what he does best- ask a lot of why Paul Gunther wanted him for his defense)  . Last year he was very bad fit in Gus Bradley defense.( Bradley couldn’t care about stopping the run, he just wanted guys that can rush the passer.       C Ferrell one best run defenders at De who does get pressure( just doesn’t finish). .

On 5/10/2022 at 9:14 AM, slats said:

Agreed. Allegedly, Al Toon was the receiver that Bill Walsh really coveted that year. He was a fantastic player before concussions took him out. 

Imagine history if Toon would have gone to SF. I know he would have had a hell of a career and I doubt he would've had concussion issues playing on that soft turf in Candlestick Park vs playing on that hard ass Astroturf.