2 rookie tryout players signed, 2 players waived

2 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Sweet! 

Is he good?

I dunno. But apparently you can catch him on Last Chance U on Netflix. lol. 

From the very little I've seen of him he is an undersized WR with 4.53 speed who exploded onto the scene at WSU last year with 66 catches and nearly 987yrds and 7TDs. Nothing special jumps out at me when watching him except that he has superb hands and seems to catch everything. Don't know his drop rate or anything like that. Just looks like that to me.   

IMO this is not a guy in serious contention to make the 53. Just a camp body and potential PS player.  

So far it seems like the Jets are really planning on giving Mims a legit shot to make the team. As they probably should. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, PepPep said:

From the very little I've seen of him he is an undersized WR with 4.53 speed who exploded onto the scene at WSU last year with 66 catches and nearly 987yrds and 7TDs. Nothing special jumps out at me when watching him except that he has superb hands and seems to catch everything. Don't know his drop rate or anything like that. Just looks like that to me.   

IMO this is not a guy in serious contention to make the 53. Just a camp body and potential PS player.  

So far it seems like the Jets are really planning on giving Mims a legit shot to make the team. As they probably should. 

Never know. They were several reports he was just jumping out at people on the practice field and he could be a better option than Smith

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Never know. They were several reports he was just jumping out at people on the practice field and he could be a better option than Smith

Yea. You never know. Again, to me, nothing special jumps out at me.

The fact that the Jets have not brought in a vet receiver or traded for one or signed someone with similar traits to Mims tells me they are truly hoping Mims shows out in camp and pre-season and makes the 53. Seems like they will give him every opportunity.  Of course, we shall see. They did, after all, bring in TWO udfa WRs (with Jackson that makes 3). Not a huge number, but def. not insignificant.    

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Yea. You never know. Again, to me, nothing special jumps out at me.

The fact that the Jets have not brought in a vet receiver or traded for one or signed someone with similar traits to Mims tells me they are truly hoping Mims shows out in camp and pre-season and makes the 53. Seems like they will give him every opportunity.  Of course, we shall see. They did, after all, bring in TWO udfa WRs (with Jackson that makes 3). Not a huge number, but def. not insignificant.    

I assume they are extending the enlarged practice squads again so it can be good to have depth on the PS as well as we showed last year with all the injuries. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Still hoping that we keep that Irvin Charles kid.  Between Moore, Berrios, and some fringe guys, we have enough slot receivers.  My only true hope (if we don’t keep Charles) is that the whispers about Mims are the real deal because we need more guys with him and Corey Davis’ build.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

I. Charles who is a signed UDFA may also have a chance of sticking as the 7th WR, if we carry that many. But if there are big dropoffs with him or Jackson, I assume the same PS rules maybe apply where you can protect these players and have control whether you easily lose them or not.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Still hoping that we sign the Irvin Charles kid.  Between Moore, Berrios, and some fringe guys, we have enough slot receivers.  My only true hope is that the whispers about Mims are the real deal because we need more guys with him and Corey Davis’ build.

We already signed him - he was one of the 5 UDFAs signed right after the draft.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

I. Charles who is a signed UDFA may also have a chance of sticking as the 7th WR, if we carry that many. But if there are big dropoffs with him or Jackson, I assume the same PS rules maybe apply where you can protect these players and have control whether you easily lose them or not.

No way we carry 7 WRs. I doubt we carry 6. The Jets will have really tough decisions to make at OL, DL, S and CB. Saleh will want to keep solid depth at those positions. I highly doubt the Jets keep 2 extra WRs (they carried 5 last year), while paring away at the depth at CB, DL, OL and S. I think we carry at least 6 CBs, at least 9 OL, 9 DL (probably 10), and at least 4 Safeties (probably 5). You add a FB to the group of RBs and there really is no room for extra WRs. 

Thats JMHO.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

No way we carry 7 WRs. I doubt we carry 6. The Jets will have really tough decisions to make at OL, DL, S and CB. Saleh will want to keep solid depth at those positions. I highly doubt the Jets keep 2 extra WRs (they carried 5 last year), while paring away at the depth at CB, DL, OL and S. I think we carry at least 6 CBs, at least 9 OL, 9 DL (probably 10), and at least 4 Safeties (probably 5). You add a FB to the group of RBs and there really is no room for extra WRs. 

Thats JMHO.  

Agreed.  Maybe you keep 6 WRs, but if so, that 6th guy had better be able to contribute on specials.  I do not see any way that we would keep 7.  Berrios, Davis, Moore and Wilson are locks -- so that leaves a lot of competition for the last 1 or 2 spots.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Thats JMHO.  

With the extended practice squads they will carry a whole bunch of WRs, even if they aren't on the actual 53.  Last year ten WRs played snaps.  Vyncint, Cole and Crowder are gone and they really only added Wilson.  I am betting that at least two of the guys behind Jeff Smith and Mims on the depth chart will see snaps.  Either that or guys that currently are not on the roster.  That doesn't mean they should be cluttering up the 53, but they will play.

No full games on youtube to check Jackson out but several condensed games which allow you to see a few highlights and several "regular" plays which is important.  Watched a few and the kid made some impressive grabs.

he could be a better option than Smith

Jackson is  a shrimp who ran 4.53

Smith is a three year vet, 25 years old makes

plays on the special team, occasionally on offense.

Stands 6 feet weighs 195 lbs  ran 4.36, jumped 36 1/2''

and shuttled 4.06