Joe D & the Waiver Wire..

This gives me hope that if Zach Wilson hits, Joe Douglas is the type of GM that can build around an expensive QB. He is in a good groove and looks for players everywhere.

He has done a good job using the waiver wire. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Hes the best young GM in the league.  Hes a waiver wire wizard.

Not every move will work out but the process is the most important thing and JD has an excellent process, thorough, well thought out, and picks the right pieces to build which is in stark contrast to the slapdash moves of his predecessor.  Mac never had a plan.  He just threw money at weird FA's and drafted random positions with no thought of how it would all come together.  I love seeing how the coaching staff is involved in the draft discussions to communicate what they are looking for.  Mac wouldn't let the coaches have ANY input.  

This cut period I'm hoping JD can find a LBer or two.  A run stuffing NT would be great as well.  LB, S and NT are the ONLY 3 positions missing strong starters on the entire team.  Absolutely great.  Haven't felt this good about the roster in 12 years.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I don't want to jump the gun because we have to see how it plays out on the field but I'm very happy with JD so far.  

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I have to be honest I do not understand why Hersbig was cut. He is not elite but more than competent and really young and OL like that recently are very valuable since OL are now getting injured a lot. It was a sneaky great move by JD. Not only did we updrade significantly at starting guard we also upgraded significantly at backup guard.

I still don't understand how Quincy Williams was cut.   The guy is at the very least a solid backup linebacker and a impact tackler.  And wasn't he cut by the worst team in the NFL, the Jacksonville Jaguars?

Now they claim a ‘6th man’ type O-lineman in Nate Hersbig who JD had a hand in drafting as an unrestricted free agent from Stanford

Oxymoron, big Her signed with eagles as a UDFA, so JD had no hand in drafting him

because he wasn't drafted

6 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

4. Now they claim a ‘6th man’ type O-lineman in Nate Hersbig who JD had a hand in drafting as an unrestricted free agent from Stanford

Hersbig and drafting Max Mitchell might prove to be solid moves in building depth for this line.  I thought LDT was a good get last year but the Jets are really just trying to create some churn amongst guys like Feeney, GVR, Chuma Edoga, etc.  Those guys aren't necessarily horrible but if you can find a way to upgrade one or two of them by even just 20% each year you really raise the floor on the entire OLine group.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

There’s got to be a trick…..

How do you think he does it?

He must have supple wrists. 

Joe D has been aggressive using the waiver wire.  Has any other team done better?

The worst teams obviously have a big advantage in winning claims.  The Giants, as a comparison, have been equally as bad, yet I don’t see 1 starter or major contributor picked up on waivers.

1. JFM is viewed as an elite interior pass rusher and key component of the Jets future

Elite remains to be seen, hopefully this year

2. Berrios is an All Pro punt returner and had a top 3 kickoff and punt return average last year. He’ll also be an important part of the Jets slot receiver rotation

i don't think so really. Wilson Davis and moore are all good slot WR's ahead of him on the depth chart. Calm down with the berrios love, he is a special teamer who can give good WR a break every now and then. 

3. It appears the Jets genuinely believe in the potential of Quincy Williams.  I’ve read in more than one place/time that they feel he has Pro Bowl upside.  The lack of LBs added this off-season support their belief in him 

This seems obvious, he is pro bowl talent. he plays well.

4. Now they claim a ‘6th man’ type O-lineman in Nate Hersbig who JD had a hand in drafting as an unrestricted free agent from Stanford

Maybe the Jets are lucky, or maybe JD has an eye for hidden talent / knows when to cut bait on existing players sooner than later?  Don’t know..

Thoughts?

Even if I disagree a lil on some of these takes, your point is solid Joe does a good job at picking guys up, albeit forced to...i like alot of his moves and even the ones that dont work out there is at least logic to it and potential.

Many team do not have this, including our own before he got here.