Thibs

I'm very happy with our draft and couldn't be happier where we are headed. That being said, part of me worries that we should have taken Thibs. I know its all speculation until the rubber meets the road but I can shake the feeling he's going to be the next LT for the Giants. Anyone else had these thoughts?

• Upvote 2

Can't say I haven't thought about it.  I would have taken Thibs at 4, Wilson at 10 and then a Corner in the 2nd round.

Very happy with the guys that the Jets eventually got in Gardner, Wilson and Johnson.  But, when it was our turn to pick at 4, Thibs was the guy I would have gone for at the time.  We haven't had a pass-rush in so long, and he is the most naturally gifted pass-rusher from this year's draft.

Hopefully, Gardner and JJ make me look foolish once they hit the field.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Maxta_p said:

I'm very happy with our draft and couldn't be happier where we are headed. That being said, part of me worries that we should have taken Thibs. I know its all speculation until the rubber meets the road but I can shake the feeling he's going to be the next LT for the Giants. Anyone else had these thoughts?

He may be a good player but I doubt he will be another LT. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Maxta_p said:

I would have taken Sauce every time at 4. I am not a big CB guy but to me he was not only the cleanest prospect but the safest prospect and can have IMO a similar impact. Whether or not Thibs is good or not it was the right call and always will be. KT bust potential is gigantic. JJ bust potential is gigantic but at least we got him at 26. I would not have taken any of these EDGE players in the first. All have major question marks

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

38 minutes ago, Maxta_p said:

No I haven't had that thought. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Maxta_p said:

That’s ok, I’ve been guaranteed that Garret Wilson will be the next Lynne Swann. Not too shabby. 

1 hour ago, Copernicus said:

I put a lot into personality and demeanor. More so than others. In my opinion, if Thibs showed that he had Michael Clemens no nonsense fire combined with his ability I would be more inclined to think that we totally could have made a mistake passing on him. Based on what I see, I could not blame the Jets for passing on Thibs for Gardner who seems to have close to equal physical talent but characteristics of Gardner's off the field/locker room was the tie breaker for me. Gardner is a team culture leader, a guy who others will follow and the coaches and fans dont seem to have to worry about more than Thibs where there are question marks. That, along with getting JJ at 26 makes passing on Thibs even less regretable . 

If thibs had a tenth of the fire of Clemons he'd have gone 1 overall 

I'm super happy they passed on KT he's like edge Josh Rosen 

• Upvote 4

41 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

That’s ok, I’ve been guaranteed that Garret Wilson will be the next Lynne Swann. Not too shabby. 

Lynn Swan may be the most over rated WR (tongue and cheek) due to his SB play.  Toon had better stats. LS was blessed to play in 4 SB's and have a super game in 1 of them.  Regular season....    he was average.  I hope Garrett is more Toon than Swan.

• Upvote 3

For whatever reason, the Jets allegedly not only didn’t like him at #4, but they wouldn’t’ve taken him at #10, either. They wound up getting the Edge they did like at a very reasonable pick. I’m not concerned about the pass rush this year. They have a lot of bodies. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

I am not a Sauce fan but by all accounts that I read he is the closest first rounder to be a guaranteed star (note I said closest; I didn't say it was guaranteed). Too many red flags on Thibs. Personally I think he will be a good player, but not a top ten draft choice level of player.

Trading back into the first to take JJ has a much lower risk/reward potential in my opinion. If he busts at 26, that is not nearly as bad as a bust at 4.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maxta_p said:

Worried he's going to be LT??

This guy isn't even in the same league of a prospect as a Bosa(s), Myles Garrett, etc.  

I think you can find other things to worry about, jmo.

2 hours ago, Maxta_p said:

The Jets got the better edge guy and one that can shut down ball carriers as well.  Dont be surprised to see Thibs on 3rd and long only. 

2 hours ago, Maxta_p said:

What's done is done... "worry" is A Waste of an emotion. 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

If thibs had a tenth of the fire of Clemons he'd have gone 1 overall 

I'm super happy they passed on KT he's like edge Josh Rosen 

Thanks for the response Bit. Josh Rosen is a great comparison. Been doing this for many years (like yourself) and guys like KT are hit or miss, all the talent in the world and if they miss they join a huge list of players that never lived up to their potential because of some type of personality/character flaw. If KT misses, the Giants will be kicking themselves that they should have seen it coming a mile away

• Upvote 1

so long as he can dip and rip, he’ll have Giant fans and the sycophantic media lapping it up.

Cossell, Jeremiah, Simms and Douzable said he had tightness at the top of his rush

and couldn't dip (bend) and rip.  The ability to bend/dip is measured by the three cone.

He skipped at the Combine and then ran a lackluster 7.23 at his pro day, indicating

Cossell, Jeremiah, Simms, Douzable were right.  Tavon Walker 17 lbs heavier ran

a 6.89. There are other ways rushing the passer besides scrapping his knuckles

on the ground bending around the tackle . If the guy can't bend who needs him