Thibs

10 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Thanks for the response Bit. Josh Rosen is a great comparison. Been doing this for many years (like yourself) and guys like KT are hit or miss, all the talent in the world and if they miss they join a huge list of players that never lived up to their potential because of some type of personality/character flaw. If KT misses, the Giants will be kicking themselves that they should have seen it coming a mile away

his effort is inconsistent and he acts like Deion Sanders in interviews.

Which is acceptable... if you're actually balling like Deion Sanders, which he's not 

that scene in rudy always comes to mind

Jaime O'Hara: It's the last practice of the season and this a$$hole thinks it's the Super Bowl!

Ara Parseghian: You just summed up your entire sorry career here in one sentence! If you had a tenth of the heart of Ruettiger, you'd have made All-American by now! As it is, you just went from third team to the scout team! Go on get out of here!

notre dame GIF

• Upvote 2

The Jets picks at 4 and 10 had valid theses.  They may not work out, but they made sense. 

There is pressure to win in 2022.  If it were me I would have taken Jameson at 10 at but the bullet.  But I like Garrett.  

4 hours ago, Dwight Englewood said:

Wanted thibs too but can't argue with Sauce AND Jermaine Johnson

I think the real question is:

"How much better will Thibs be than Jermaine Johnson, and how much better will Sauce be than any other corner we would have selected in the 2nd round, and then compare the two."

4 hours ago, Copernicus said:

I put a lot into personality and demeanor. More so than others. In my opinion, if Thibs showed that he had Michael Clemens no nonsense fire combined with his ability I would be more inclined to think that we totally could have made a mistake passing on him. Based on what I see, I could not blame the Jets for passing on Thibs for Gardner who seems to have close to equal physical talent but characteristics of Gardner's off the field/locker room was the tie breaker for me. Gardner is a team culture leader, a guy who others will follow and the coaches and fans dont seem to have to worry about more than Thibs where there are question marks. That, along with getting JJ at 26 makes passing on Thibs even less regretable . 

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

If thibs had a tenth of the fire of Clemons he'd have gone 1 overall 

I'm super happy they passed on KT he's like edge Josh Rosen 

No nonsense Michael Clemons was suspended based on an arrest on gun and drug charges last year (I think he had another arrest within a few months), missed and entire season with a foot injury and most of another with a leg.  All this after starting in Juco because a significant injury in HS limited his recruiting.  His last high school season was 2015.  We all like the sound bites, but if Thibs were more like Clemons off the field he'd have dropped lower than 5th.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Maxta_p said:

I'm very happy with our draft and couldn't be happier where we are headed. That being said, part of me worries that we should have taken Thibs. I know its all speculation until the rubber meets the road but I can shake the feeling he's going to be the next LT for the Giants. Anyone else had these thoughts?

More likely to be the next douche bag for the giants. He’s more OBJ than LT.

JD could not miss on the #4 pick, not after the Becton/Mims draft.  Sauce looks like the real deal, and if his work ethic continues, he should be good.  JD could not take a guy who "may" work out.

Side note, now, Becton looks to be getting in shape, that can still work out, which would be great.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

14 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

No nonsense Michael Clemons was suspended based on an arrest on gun and drug charges last year (I think he had another arrest within a few months), missed and entire season with a foot injury and most of another with a leg.  All this after starting in Juco because a significant injury in HS limited his recruiting.  His last high school season was 2015.  We all like the sound bites, but if Thibs were more like Clemons off the field he'd have dropped lower than 5th.

Great response Dominator. Interesting counter point. 

17 hours ago, Alka said:

I think the real question is:

"How much better will Thibs be than Jermaine Johnson, and how much better will Sauce be than any other corner we would have selected in the 2nd round, and then compare the two."

Jermaine Johnson's tape at the Senior Bowl is legit fap worthy.  Don't be shocked if he's another Osi Umenyiora

And I was pounding the table for thibs

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I'm guessing theres a few who didnt actually see LT play every week.

He was a different animal, the greatest defensive player ever.  

In the running for best player, O or D

In the top 5 players who ever stepped on the football field, period!  When he stepped on the field, every opposing coach, and every opposing player was compelled to take notice. Before a play was run, the question from the opposing players and coaches was, "Where on the field is LT?"

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Alka said:

In the top 5 players who ever stepped on the football field, period!  When he stepped on the field, every opposing coach, and every opposing player was compelled to take notice. Before a play was run, the question from the opposing players and coaches was, "Where on the field is LT?"

You know it, the guy was a beast who had to be accounted for on every play.  

We had a poster here a year or so ago swearing LT was overrated and teams could take advantage of him, that all he did was rush the QB.  

About as dumb a statement that has ever been made in regards to a player, anywhere.  

• Upvote 1

I hope yo guys are right. My brother in law is a big Giants fan and he's been giving me nonstop guff about us letting Thibs slip to the Giants. He said we took the safe choice because we don't know how to handle star players.

1 minute ago, Maxta_p said:

I hope yo guys are right. My brother in law is a big Giants fan and he's been giving me nonstop guff about us letting Thibs slip to the Giants. He said we took the safe choice because we don't know how to handle star players.

I hate the Giants and I was really hoping Thibs wouldn't go there to be their next Edge Rusher

23 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

We had a poster here a year or so ago swearing LT was overrated and teams could take advantage of him, that all he did was rush the QB.  

About as dumb a statement that has ever been made in regards to a player, anywhere.  

Yes, very dumb.  Besides LT's abilities, which was easily above anyone else's on the field, he was a very intimidating figure.  There was absolutely no-one who didn't have the greatest respect for him.  Coach Parcells had to create new plays for LT, since he needed to be able to attack from anywhere on the field, and Parcells at first reluctantly had to change plays to accommodate him.  I saw a tape of Parcells speaking about it once.  He told LT after one play, "We don't have a play for what you just did."  LT responded by saying, "Well, coach, I guess w'e'll just have to add it to the playbook."

• Upvote 2

On 5/10/2022 at 12:13 AM, Jet Nut said:

He really was a unicorn.   To be that strong, that fast, that tough, to truly intimidate men his size and bigger.

People talk about players who changed the game.   Mel Blount changed the way corners could play.   LT changed the way teams could play, he is the primary reason for the 2 tight end offense.   You could not leave a left tackle alone on him, he would literally end your offense. 

Buddy Ryan put a bounty on LT.   LT vs. the Eagles offense, it wasn't a contest.

• Sympathy 1

On 5/10/2022 at 4:57 PM, Jet Nut said:

Scary thought.

When the USFL folded, the players went into a special kind of draft for the NFL.   Bill Parcells had a choice between a left tackle, and a defensive end.   He chose the tackle, and sent him to the Vikings (Gary Zimmerman, who went to the HOF).   The defensive end he could have taken was Reggie White.  

Imagine Reggie White on one side, LT on the other.  The best defensive lineman I have personally ever seen (I'm 48) and the best defensive player I have ever seen play.

• Upvote 1

On 5/10/2022 at 2:47 PM, Alka said:

He was an epic player but not Top 5. Top 20? Maybe

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/9/2022 at 12:55 PM, Maxta_p said:

I'm very happy with our draft and couldn't be happier where we are headed. That being said, part of me worries that we should have taken Thibs. I know its all speculation until the rubber meets the road but I can shake the feeling he's going to be the next LT for the Giants. Anyone else had these thoughts?

Are we better with Kayvon Thibodeaux and Garrett Wilson

Or are we better with Sauce Gardner, Garrett Wilson, and Jermaine Johnson.?

Answer that question and you will have the more important answer for which you seek.

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

He really was a unicorn.   To be that strong, that fast, that tough, to truly intimidate men his size and bigger.

People talk about players who changed the game.   Mel Blount changed the way corners could play.   LT changed the way teams could play, he is the primary reason for the 2 tight end offense.   You could not leave a left tackle alone on him, he would literally end your offense. 

Buddy Ryan put a bounty on LT.   LT vs. the Eagles offense, it wasn't a contest.

Thats what was so funny about the back and forth, me and others against one poster, a long time poster, acting like we were claiming some JAG was an all time player.  I'm doing the, its him or Jim Brown as the greatest football player and hes going on and on with complete nonsense, cliche BS like run at LT and he would be neutralized and the incredibly stupid he only went after sacks.  As if he were Gastineau.  

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

Imagine Reggie White on one side, LT on the other.  The best defensive lineman I have personally ever seen (I'm 48) and the best defensive player I have ever seen play.

Imagine being a QB and looking out at LT on one side, Reggie White on the other, Harry Carson and Carl Banks?  LOL, that would be one hell of a D to go against 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Thats what was so funny about the back and forth, me and others against one poster, a long time poster, acting like we were claiming some JAG was an all time player.  I'm doing the, its him or Jim Brown as the greatest football player and hes going on and on with complete nonsense, cliche BS like run at LT and he would be neutralized and the incredibly stupid he only went after sacks.  As if he were Gastineau.  

I hate Bill Belichek, but that guy does not throw around compliments.   Even he is like, "Don't compare ***** to LT."  

That guy could do anything on a football field.   Tough as hell, I remember watching the game where he hurts his shoulder and they just strap it back on, and he goes nuts all game long. 

I can't compare LT to Deacon Jones, or those 60s and 70s players, I never saw them play.  LT is the best defensive player I have seen.   JJ Watt had a dominate 4 year run, Aaron Donald is amazing and a 1st ballot HOF player, Reggie White was a stud.  LT is my #1.

6 hours ago, johnnysd said:

If it were only my opinion than it's your opinion vs. mine  But that's just not the case.  You're just trying to stoke up a debate.  You either are not knowledgeable or you are ignorant, or you are just trying to be contrary.

How about this:  There are only 2 defensive players in the history of the NFL who was named MVP of the NFL.  Those 2 people are Lawrence Taylor and Alan Page.  LT was not only the greatest linebacker who ever lived, he was the best defensive player who ever lived.  I put him in the tip 5 players of all time.  I don't think I am wrong.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Alka said:

If it were only my opinion than it's your opinion vs. mine  But that's just not the case.  You're just trying to stoke up a debate.  You either are not knowledgeable or you are ignorant, or you are just trying to be contrary.

How about this:  There are only 2 defensive players in the history of the NFL who was named MVP of the NFL.  Those 2 people are Lawrence Taylor and Alan Page.  LT was not only the greatest linebacker who ever lived, he was the best defensive player who ever lived.  I put him in the tip 5 players of all time.  I don't think I am wrong.

That's fine. You are entitled to your opinion. I never said he wasn't a completely dominant defensive player. But off the top of my head I could probably list 10 players that I just don't think you could put him ahead of, but it's not worth arguing over,

49 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

That's fine. You are entitled to your opinion. I never said he wasn't a completely dominant defensive player. But off the top of my head I could probably list 10 players that I just don't think you could put him ahead of, but it's not worth arguing over,

List the 10 then.  It’s a long offseason.  These are the exact kinds of topics worth arguing over at this time of year.

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

10 players ahead of LT? Damn that is tough, no way can I name 10.

He had such an impact, he changed how defenses do defense lol.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Well, while I am no fan of Bill Bellicheck, I have the upmost respect for his knowledge of the game of football, and his understanding of the game.

When speaking of the greatest NFL players who ever stepped on the field, Bellicheck said without question that Lawrence Taylor was the best defensive player in the history of the NFL.

Now, if you think there are at least 10 players better than LT, it would make sense that they would be primarily offensive players.  So, like others have said, start naming them.  We have a lot of time until kickoff.

• Upvote 2

On 5/11/2022 at 12:51 PM, Maxta_p said:

You should laugh at him in OBJ

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/10/2022 at 1:13 AM, Jet Nut said:

The numbers don't really do him justice.  The amount of big plays in big meaningful spots were insane.  

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, johnnysd said:

There's probably a 100 NFL players who are in the top 20 conversation.  There are maybe 3 that are in the conversation of the greatest defender in NFL history.  LT is one of them.  

• Post of the Week 1

Everyone claiming LT was the greatest ever might get accuses of NY bias. 

Well, I was raised in the Chicago area with those great Bear defenses and I can say without hesitation that LT was the greatest I ever saw.  The only guy I can think of with a legit argument is Reggie White. 

1. LT

2. White

3. start a list 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Biggs said:

There's probably a 100 NFL players who are in the top 20 conversation.  There are maybe 3 that are in the conversation of the greatest defender in NFL history.  LT is one of them.  

Everybody is flapping their gums, saying top defender of all time.  Nobody is disputing he is among the top few defenders of all time.  Then someone said said top 5 player all time.  You guys are bashing @johnnysd but I'd bet if there was an all-time draft that LT is not going top 5.  Probably 10 QBs go before him.  You could draft Jim Brown and match them up.  I doubt Brown would be intimidated.