Mike Florio cautions Jet Fans against unwarranted optimism

Mike Florio devoted a segment of his show Monday Morning question the attitude among Jet Fans expecting a big jump in the Jets Win-Loss record in 2022 is unwarranted. The crux of the segment is the strength of the AFC. This includes the Jets' Division Rivals in the AFC East. As Florio and Chris Simms outlined there are no easy marks in the Division.

Chris Simms (on Saleh): He's such a meathead.  "He looks beefy" - he's the only coach in football who would say that.

Mike Florio (on Zach): He still looks 12

Chris Simms (on Zach): You would be surprised if you saw him in person though.  He does look 12.  (then says some positive things)

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Dear God the media has done nothing but gone out of their way to rain our little post-draft enjoyment parade.

God forbid we are universally praised for something positive. 

It's our history that precedes us that causes the uncertainty.  

and?  this goes for every team.  there just aren't that many teams that are locks each season.  the patsies clearly aren't as good as they were with brady at qb.  maybe mac jones can improve but that team isn't going to win 13 or 14.  the doltfins have a nice wr duo but what about the rest of the team?? tua is better than they might think but he's a small ball qb and the wr's are going to have make a lot of yac.  only buffalo has enough of an esprit de corp and will do well as long as allen can continue to improvise and make plays with his legs.  maybe sauce can keep diggs covered so allen can't ad lib.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, peebag said:

It's our history that precedes us that causes the uncertainty.  

Uncertainty is fine and if people are picking up to win only 4 or 5 games still, hey that's cool.

What I take issue with is these "reporters" and "anal-cysts....analysts" are actively telling a fan bases to "calm down with your excitement"

What kind of journalism or expert analysis is that? It's just trolling.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Dear God the media has done nothing but gone out of their way to rain our little post-draft enjoyment parade.

God forbid we are universally praised for something positive. 

Florio's assessment of the Jets is both realistic and respectful. He could have been more blunt and posed the challenge directly. "What teams in the AFC East are the Jets going to beat this year". Both Florio and Simms point out the team that matches up the best against Jets in the Division, the Dolphins, are stacked. So Gardner shuts down Hill, Jaylan Waddle isn't exactly a day at the beach.

My best guess at any team in the division the Jets can beat is the Patriots. And that's based on the Patriots coaching situation sinking into chaos. That problem can be straightened out with time. So even that possibility could evaporate in to thin air if the Jet-Patriot Games are scheduled late in the season.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

23 minutes ago, WestCoastMole said:

Mike Florio devoted a segment of his show Monday Morning question the attitude among Jet Fans expecting a big jump in the Jets Win-Loss record in 2022 is unwarranted. The crux of the segment is the strength of the AFC. This includes the Jets' Division Rivals in the AFC East. As Florio and Chris Simms outlined there are no easy marks in the Division.

They won 4 games last year with almost no talent why can’t they win 8 or 9 with what they have now?

• Upvote 2

Eh....

Every year - there are teams that are good one year that aren't the next year and teams that were bad that are good the next year.  

The Jets have as good a chance as any team to be one of the bad to good stories.

This is  a VERY common occurrence in the NFL.  Just look how bad the Jets were last year, I mean awful.

Yet they still managed to beat 4 NFL teams, 2 of which went to the playoffs - one  went to the Super Bowl and the Jets should have beaten the defending super bowl champions.

To be clear - I'm not saying the Jets were good last year - what I'm saying is the line from good to bad is a fine one.   Adding a few good players, and the young players maturing - can the difference between wins and losses.

There's every reason to be optimistic about the Jets being MUCH better this year and competing for a playoff spot.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

Why do people get so upset when a national writer thinks we won't do well.  We have sucked for 10 years.  It is what it is.  For what its worth, here is a link to a clip from NFLN picking the Jets as a dark horse to make the Super Bowl this year.  There are plenty of media folks with a favorable view of the Jets direction right now.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/which-teams-are-best-long-shot-candidates-to-win-super-bowl-lvii-nfl-now?campaign=nfl_app_mobile_share_video

• Upvote 4

Thank you Mike Florio.  I have been a Jets fan for 54 years now, and I really thought the Jets would finally be going to a super bowl this year after the last 52 years, but thanks to Mike, my positive optimism has been brought down to reality.   What would we do without Mike Florio calming down our huge expectations?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

Why do people get so upset when a national writer thinks we won't do well.  We have sucked for 10 years.  It is what it is.  For what its worth, here is a link to a clip from NFLN picking the Jets as a dark horse to make the Super Bowl this year.  There are plenty of media folks with a favorable view of the Jets direction right now.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/which-teams-are-best-long-shot-candidates-to-win-super-bowl-lvii-nfl-now?campaign=nfl_app_mobile_share_video

From my perspective the piece was NOT about Florio dumping on the Jets. He was pointing out the Jets still have very stiff competition in both their Division and Conference while having zero in the way of easy marks.

I honestly don’t think anything they said is inaccurate. I could  definitely see a scenario where they play much better and actually pass the “ eye test “ and only win 6-7 games. The AFC is stacked and their schedule is very difficult.

• Upvote 4