Giants release veteran CB James Bradberry after two seasons

I know we just drafted Sauce & we have Hall... but imo Bradbury is an upgrade to both, being he's a proven Pro Bowl CB in the NFL... JD always says having a "Proven" NFL player is better than having an unproven College draft pick... not saying the Jets are in the mix, but Bradbury would be an upgrade Especially with all the newly acquired weapons in the AFC East...

The news comes a week after Giants general manager Joe Schoen said that the team was likely going to have to let go of the cornerback and that he expected Bradberry's fate to be decided within the next few days.

Bradberry was a consistent and valuable starter for New York in his two years with the franchise, but the overindulgent spending of the previous GM, Dave Gettleman, meant that the Giants had to sacrifice a few veteran players this offseason to offset costs, with Bradberry becoming the latest casualty. Bradberry was set to carry a $21.86 million cap number into 2022, and with New York then expected to sit over $7 million over the cap after signing its newest draft picks, the 28-year-old's value as a quality corner unfortunately became secondary to the cap space that would be cleared by letting him go.

"He's a starting corner in the league," Schoen said. "It's just where we are financially."

The Giants had been trying to avoid releasing Bradberry, hoping to find a team willing to make a trade for the cornerback and offload some of the money. But while Schoen said some calls were made, the financial aspects of the deal would have been difficult to maneuver, as Bradberry was due $13.5 million in 2022 that the other team would have had to work around with their own cap issues in mind.

And more than anything else, most teams knew the position New York was in, and that if no trade materialized, the Giants would have no choice but to release him.

By releasing Bradberry, New York created immediate savings of $11.5 million in cash and $10.1 million in 2022 cap space, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported.

Bradberry started his career in Carolina, spending four years with the Panthers and leading the team in passes defensed in each of those seasons. After signing with New York in 2020, Bradberry proved himself a top-tier defender, becoming the first Giants cornerback to be named to the Pro Bowl since 2016. Bradberry continued this elite performance in 2021, becoming one of the best corners in the league. In two years in New York, he compiled 100 tackles (80 solo), 35 passes defensed, four interceptions, two forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries. He missed only one game over that span, showing consistency and talent that will certainly make him an appealing target for multiple other teams.

Now, with it known that Bradberry's future does not lie with the Giants, the next question is which team will be lucky enough to sign the star cornerback.

• Thumb Down 1

He will end up in the AFC west either Chiefs , Chargers , or the Raiders.   Raiders new Dc know him the best and Bradberry very comfortable with him.  Problem is if he signs early it won’t be with the Raiders .  They will have 20 million but not till June 1 .    Don’t have the money to sign him now.

7 hours ago, faba said:

They could not get a trade partner but surprising to just cut the guy. Seems like something we may not know about him

The giants were so far over the cap that every team knew to sign their draft choices they would have to cut him. ( save 10 million dollars) . Why is a team going to trade picks , and pay him what he was scheduled to make with the Giants.    When he was always going to get cut.     Giant had no pass rush on outside ( Leonard Williams was rushing at De). James Bradberry is fine zone Cb who has knack for the ball, who isn’t best man to man Cb.    You put him on team with talent on defense, and explosive offense he’s going to be difference maker for that team.

12 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

PFF graded him at 62.8 last year.  For perspective, Feeney was at 75.9 and Van Roten 68.1

Who cares Bradberry easily a top twenty Cb in the nfl.   He’s a better version of  jc jackson( ex patriot) .      Both can be burned in man to man but both make  a lot of interceptions, and big plays .  It’s like Te D Waller had injury plague season last year ( more upset with his contract- why he will get a new one)  he’s easily top three Te in the game despite what his grade was last year.

2 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Who cares Bradberry easily a top twenty Cb in the nfl.   He’s a better version of  jc jackson( ex patriot) .      Both can be burned in man to man but both make  a lot of interceptions, and big plays .  It’s like Te D Waller had injury plague season last year ( more upset with his contract- why he will get a new one)  he’s easily top three Te in the game despite what his grade was last year.

I know who JC Jackson is.  Both make a lot of interceptions and big plays?  JC Jackson had 17 INTs over the last two years.  Bradberry has 15 in his 6 year career.  He had a bad year and was getting paid a ton of money.  You think reuniting him with Graham is going to bring back the glory days of that 20th ranked D that they had with the Giants?  Knock yourself out.  Bradberry probably still belongs in the NFL.  He does not deserve to get paid that much money which is why nobody would trade for him.  I don't see what any of this has to do with Waller.  

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I know who JC Jackson is.  Both make a lot of interceptions and big plays?  JC Jackson had 17 INTs over the last two years.  Bradberry has 15 in his 6 year career.  He had a bad year and was getting paid a ton of money.  You think reuniting him with Graham is going to bring back the glory days of that 20th ranked D that they had with the Giants?  Knock yourself out.  Bradberry probably still belongs in the NFL.  He does not deserve to get paid that much money which is why nobody would trade for him.  I don't see what any of this has to do with Waller.  

Sure will if he doesn’t sign before June 1( Raiders don’t get 20 million till than) he will be a Raider.     Let’s see with explosive offense he had with the Raiders that he never had with the Giants .   When you have Chandler Jones and Max Crosby come off the corner that something right there Giants didn’t have .( Leonard Williams was rushing a lot at De- embarrassing.     The Raiders brought in a lot of man to cbs and Bradberry more zone Cb .    But z Graham used Ryan Logan at Ss .    So I don’t really know where he would play .      Still Bradberry is easily a top twenty Cb who only reason he’s getting cut is because the Giants are in cap trouble , and that’s where they get the most cap relief.  Every team knows he was going to get cut, why no one traded for him despite a lot teams being interested.

19 hours ago, faba said:

They could not get a trade partner but surprising to just cut the guy. Seems like something we may not know about him

We know what happened.  They needed to save money.  It was pay him $20 mil r cut him and save $10 mil.  That they needed 

19 hours ago, jetsons said:

I know we just drafted Sauce & we have Hall... but imo Bradbury is an upgrade to both, being he's a proven Pro Bowl CB in the NFL... JD always says having a "Proven" NFL player is better than having an unproven College draft pick... not saying the Jets are in the mix, but Bradbury would be an upgrade Especially with all the newly acquired weapons in the AFC East...

The news comes a week after Giants general manager Joe Schoen said that the team was likely going to have to let go of the cornerback and that he expected Bradberry's fate to be decided within the next few days.

Bradberry was a consistent and valuable starter for New York in his two years with the franchise, but the overindulgent spending of the previous GM, Dave Gettleman, meant that the Giants had to sacrifice a few veteran players this offseason to offset costs, with Bradberry becoming the latest casualty. Bradberry was set to carry a $21.86 million cap number into 2022, and with New York then expected to sit over $7 million over the cap after signing its newest draft picks, the 28-year-old's value as a quality corner unfortunately became secondary to the cap space that would be cleared by letting him go.

"He's a starting corner in the league," Schoen said. "It's just where we are financially."

The Giants had been trying to avoid releasing Bradberry, hoping to find a team willing to make a trade for the cornerback and offload some of the money. But while Schoen said some calls were made, the financial aspects of the deal would have been difficult to maneuver, as Bradberry was due $13.5 million in 2022 that the other team would have had to work around with their own cap issues in mind.

And more than anything else, most teams knew the position New York was in, and that if no trade materialized, the Giants would have no choice but to release him.

By releasing Bradberry, New York created immediate savings of $11.5 million in cash and $10.1 million in 2022 cap space, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported.

Bradberry started his career in Carolina, spending four years with the Panthers and leading the team in passes defensed in each of those seasons. After signing with New York in 2020, Bradberry proved himself a top-tier defender, becoming the first Giants cornerback to be named to the Pro Bowl since 2016. Bradberry continued this elite performance in 2021, becoming one of the best corners in the league. In two years in New York, he compiled 100 tackles (80 solo), 35 passes defensed, four interceptions, two forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries. He missed only one game over that span, showing consistency and talent that will certainly make him an appealing target for multiple other teams.

Now, with it known that Bradberry's future does not lie with the Giants, the next question is which team will be lucky enough to sign the star cornerback.

There’s no need to sign an expensive CB

4 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Sure will if he doesn’t sign before June 1( Raiders don’t get 20 million till than) he will be a Raider.     Let’s see with explosive offense he had with the Raiders that he never had with the Giants .   When you have Chandler Jones and Max Crosby come off the corner that something right there Giants didn’t have .( Leonard Williams was rushing a lot at De- embarrassing.     The Raiders brought in a lot of man to cbs and Bradberry more zone Cb .    But z Graham used Ryan Logan at Ss .    So I don’t really know where he would play .      Still Bradberry is easily a top twenty Cb who only reason he’s getting cut is because the Giants are in cap trouble , and that’s where they get the most cap relief.  Every team knows he was going to get cut, why no one traded for him despite a lot teams being interested.

You are not a very keen talent evaluator, are you?  Do you know who else was a "top 20 CB" at age 27?  Trumaine Johnson.  He also sucked at 28 and was out of the league before 30.  

I am glad you are (always) so excited for you team.  Still, if edge rushers make corners, why waste your money on Bradberry? 

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Waller had down year in 2021 more because he signed a stupid low contract for his ability . ( dis gruntled  injury plagued year) So you can take a way lesser Te who had better off numbers in 2021 , doesn’t mean that tight end can do  more or is in his league.( that’s the point about Bradberry too).          You should know what have inept offense , does to a defense that’s has to be on the field all day.    Also mention already they( Giants)  don’t have the olbs/ des ( c Jones, m Crosby, m Koonce)     Graham had to scheme a pass rush , that’s not the case anymore.     Raiders have very young Cb room and nice to have Cb who knows the system inside out.     See Casey Hayward who had pro bowl season in Gus Bradley defense.( fit his skill set perfect). Well Bradberry would probably be even better fit than Hayward was last year.

16 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You are not a very keen talent evaluator, are you?  Do you know who else was a "top 20 CB" at age 27?  Trumaine Johnson.  He also sucked at 28 and was out of the league before 30.  

I am glad you are (always) so excited for you team.  Still, if edge rushers make corners, why waste your money on Bradberry? 

No two players are every alike. That arguement you’re using is like saying Tom Brady was able to play effective till 45 than some other Qb should be able.   C HAYWARD at 31 played at pro bowl level for the Raiders at Cb because he’s was perfect fit for Zeus Bradley defense( cover 3).  Raiders aren’t playing cover 3 why he wasn’t resigned.      Raiders have a lot young cbs that speciality is man to man coverage .   Gives them a veteran who knows system like back of his hand.   The Raiders are playing in the AFC west where you better have a lot of cbs that can cover( better have at least five )    Also T Mullen just had toe surgery so have to cover yourself .      ( 1. R ya-sin 2 T Mullen 3 Nate Hobbs( let him compete outside was top rookie Cb last year in slot) 4. A Averett - sign job he did on Tyrek hill 5. Darius phillip( bengals nickel Cb).  6. Amik Robertson      Bradberry would probably be end of Mullen( trade him) or Amik Robertson ( like Reed is undersized Cb .      You can never have enough cbs and who knows they might just play Bradberry at Ss .   SEE WRS you have in AFC West- no joke.

2 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

No two players are every alike. That arguement you’re using is like saying Tom Brady was able to play effective till 45 than some other Qb should be able.   C HAYWARD at 31 played at pro bowl level for the Raiders at Cb because he’s was perfect fit for Zeus Bradley defense( cover 3).  Raiders aren’t playing cover 3 why he wasn’t resigned.      Raiders have a lot young cbs that speciality is man to man coverage .   Gives them a veteran who knows system like back of his hand.   The Raiders are playing in the AFC west where you better have a lot of cbs that can cover( better have at least five )    Also T Mullen just had toe surgery so have to cover yourself .      ( 1. R ya-sin 2 T Mullen 3 Nate Hobbs( let him compete outside was top rookie Cb last year in slot) 4. A Averett - sign job he did on Tyrek hill 5. Darius phillip( bengals nickel Cb).  6. Amik Robertson      Bradberry would probably be end of Mullen( trade him) or Amik Robertson ( like Reed is undersized Cb .      You can never have enough cbs and who knows they might just play Bradberry at Ss .   SEE WRS you have in AFC West- no joke.

My "argument" is that he wasn't worth the money.  I was right, which was why nobody traded for him.  Since it was already proven before I made my "argument" I see no reason to pat myself on the back.  The Giants gambled his $2M bonus and lost.  I think Bradberry will sign on somewhere, but he seems to be a declining player, so I would not be happy cutting guys that I felt were as good as you seem to think every Raider is to add him.  I don't think that going after guys pushing 30 that had good seasons two years ago is the recipe for success.  FWIW, I thought that Graham's claim to fame is that he doesn't have a "system" but works with what he has?