Sauce Gardner contract taxes getting attention?

We’ve discussed this. 

Free agents have many reasons to turn down the Jets…. a big one is NJ kinda sucks and their state taxes are OUTRAGEOUS.

Tyreek chose to come here, to sunny Florida… with no state taxes.  Who could blame him?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

We’ve discussed this. 

Free agents have many reasons to turn down the Jets…. a big one is NJ kinda sucks and their state taxes are OUTRAGEOUS.

Tyreek chose to come here, to sunny Florida… with no state taxes.  Who could blame him?

You really think that is why he didn't  want to come here? The taxes?

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jayrad01 said:

https://smartasset.com/taxes/nfl-jock-taxes

Here is a good article on NFL players tax rates. It's not near as big of a difference as most people may think.

EXACTLY!!! Cali players get hit the hardest in the league but somehow you never here that mentioned when discussing where players want to go.

It's NOT just the money why players dont want to come here.

Its the losing and the weather. If we won a hell of a lot more they can make boatloads more money here in the tristate area through endorsements. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If this is true then the 17.4 mil is the equivalent of 395k net annually for someone working from ages 21 thru 65.

Count me in the dont feel bad at all camp.

Unless he goes Vince Young hes already set for life.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Pac said:

If this is true then the 17.4 mil is the equivalent of 395k net annually for someone working from ages 21 thru 65.

Count me in the dont feel bad at all camp.

Unless he goes Vince Young hes already set for life.

If he’s any good his nickname is worth probably double that in endorsement deals 

• Upvote 2

from the article;

AFC West is worst for taxes. With two teams in California and another in Kansas City (where there are both state and local taxes), the AFC West is the worst division for away-game jock taxes.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Dunnie said:
55 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:
What would the number be if he played for Miami ?

Only 4 game diff .. you pay where you play

He gets a signing bonus right here at home, not for his road games. 

It’s only his road game checks that’s a tax rate based on where he plays, not bonus checks like he just got. Or anyway, that’d be my guess. 

So when it comes to high tax and low tax states, it isn’t nothing when a player’s in a high tax state & getting most of his contract as a signing bonus. If he’d gotten that bonus check in FL (or TX or NV or WA) he’d pay 0% state tax instead of ~10% in NY/NJ (I don’t know if it’s NY or NJ taxes for Jets’ players, honestly; probably NJ which looks like it’s got a marginal rate of 10.75%).

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, DepressedJetsFan23 said:

Is this including typical agent fee off the top?

I doubt it. Ask one of the accountants here to be sure, but it seems to me that’d be fully deductible, same as if the agent was a 1099’d employee or a consultant or a similar business expense. Then again he’s not self-employed so maybe not. 

• Upvote 2

Professionally speaking…. Im surprised it took this long.  Playing in NY, NJ, CA etc… have a strong disadvantage.  

And yes…I’ve done tax returns for profesional athletes.      Politics aside, if my prediction is true, tax free states will have better sports teams in the future. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, Larz said:

from the article;

AFC West is worst for taxes. With two teams in California and another in Kansas City (where there are both state and local taxes), the AFC West is the worst division for away-game jock taxes.

Kansas City voters just overwhelmingly reapproved that tax too. It's been a big win for them re: city services. 

• Upvote 1