Sauce Gardner contract taxes getting attention?

12 hours ago, Trotter said:

One of the smoothest effortless voices you will ever hear.

Truer words have never been spoken. I will defend him as the best singer EVER till the day I die. There were other good ones, but Nat King Cole was in a class by himself. 

23 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don’t know. Looking at that Hill contract (assuming the Jets & Dolphins offered nearly identical deals):

There’s some $35MM in signing & roster bonuses from 2022-2023. That carries a 0% state income tax rate since it’ll all be paid in FL and is therefore immune from any road games stuff. So he’s saving about $3.5MM in taxes there.

That’s $35MM of the $95MM on his contract (the final year is fluff; Mia isn’t paying him a non-guaranteed $45MM salary when he’s 32). $30MM of that remaining $60MM will also be taxed at 0% state income tax, since it’ll also be in FL. If he was in NY/NJ that’d be another few million. Take back a slight amount because he won’t have that 1 road game per year in Miami, like Jets players have, but it’s a negligible amt.

So just that amount alone, getting paid in FL not NY, he’s fully saving ~$6.5MM in after-taxes cash from 2022-2025 by signing with Miami instead of the Jets, and still has to pay federal taxes on that $6.5MM he’d be giving to NY or NJ state coffers if he was here.

So to make up for that discrepancy, the Jets would have to offer Hill about $10MM more fully guaranteed than Miami’s paying him.

(That’s aside from the personal part: the fact that he lives in Miami in the offseason anyway, independent of this deal). 

Yeah but he has to live in Florida 

11 hours ago, Dwight Englewood said:

I know lol.  If NFL and NBA players were so worried about state income taxes why are they all falling over eachother to sign deals with teams like the Rams, Warriors, Lakers, Clippers, 49ers etc

The players still pay state taxes on states they play away games in

The rams just won a super bowl and the pats from taxacussets won like 6. 

The tax discussion (whenever it comes up) is thinly veiled political discussion and should be treated as such 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The tax discussion (whenever it comes up) is thinly veiled political discussion and should be treated as such 

Massachusetts surprising has a low tax rate of 5%

14 hours ago, bitonti said:

When Lebron signed with the Lakers he was only doing so so he could pay for maintenance of I-5

• Haha 2

On 5/10/2022 at 10:54 AM, Biggs said:

They may know how to read but they don't know how to earn money.  Lowest per capita rate in the country.  You can be illeterate in NJ and still afford an accountant to do your taxes.  

Job market in NJ sucks.  I left there years ago.  But yeah, Mississipi would be a third world country if it wasn't part of the US

21 hours ago, Dunnie said:
On 5/10/2022 at 10:40 AM, Dwight Englewood said:
Florida utilizes a toll system.  So does NJ for 95 and the parkway.  But Florida is still charging people money plus they have to borrow billions in bonds

True .. but not for side roads

Actually I'm not even sure how valid that is either.  I can't drive 2 miles in any direction in Orlando without paying a toll