Draft review and pre draft grades

2 hours ago, clayton163v said:

While I have read many posts about value with our draft.  I thought I would put some numbers on it.. 

At #4 Sauce was the 9th ranked prospect but he had a clear first round grade.  Not what I would have done (thibs fan) but it was a fair use of the #4 pick.  Looking forward to his career.  Nice prospect.  Long and competitive.  Excellent in man to man but best in zone with his closing burst to the ball.  I suspect Salah intends to put him over the field once he gets his feet wet.

At #10 Wilson was the obvious choice.  Ourlads had him ranked 11th.  This is particularly true when you consider the trade offer Washington accepted for pick #11 (picks #98 and #120).  With prices like that it is no wonder Joe picked Wilson.  Exactly what I would  have done.  We needed to add a #1 Candidate at WR and we did.  The question remains whether or not he is Jerry Jeudy.  The scouts call him a lesser copy.  We shall see.   

At #26 we traded up to get Johnson.  While scouts differ on Johnson Ourlads had him ranked 15th.  His review is similar to Hutchenson and Karlaftis.  The price of the trade up?  A mere exchange of 3ds (69 for 101) and a 6th for nine spots at the end of the first round.  I have seen teams cough up a 1st for that much movement.  I love everything about this pick.  I would have done the same thing.  Probably would have made the move earlier given the prices.  That is a complement to Joe D, not criticism.      

At #36 we moved up for Hall for a mere 5th round pick.   These cheap trades were amazing.   Ourlads had Hall ranked 28th.  Said Ourlads "Will fit best into a zone based scheme."  He is an ideal complement to MC1.  I would have taken a pass rusher.  We can add a 2d round back every year.  You cannot get a good pass rusher prospect every year in the 2d.  I think we still need rebuilding.  But I cannot deny that Hall will make us more exciting as he is  a "win now" investment.  Nor can I complain about the price. 

Then the long wait until 101 where we grabbed Ruckert.  A Long Island kid, he lacks the pizzazz of McBride but he is a Y tight end built for the trenches.  Ourlads had him ranked 57th.  Yeah, 57th.  Not bad for 101.  Second best player left on the board.   The DT Perrion Winfrey was ranked higher and is a good fit but he also talks about Jason from the Halloween movies like a long lost buddy so . . . I understand why we went with the local kid.

At 111 we grabbed Marshall.  I wrote before the draft:

"The later round guys - for the most part - do not offer help this season or are a poor fit.  Neil and Ekwonu might turn our to be guards for us.  All-pro guards, but Guards nonetheless.  Cross is a perfect fit and is the likely pick if Hutch and Thibs are gone.  Penning is a good fit too.  He "Can reach defenders laterally and do damage in the running game" - that's what we need but they warn that "there is a possibility that his best fit is inside"..  Raimann?  Not ready but is a decent fit.   Smith?  Not ready and belongs in a gap scheme.  Abe Lucas?  A starring right tackle with pass blocking skills.  Faalele?  A gap scheme guy who needs to lose weight.  Petit Friere?  Ideal fit and he is ready for either side.  But he had a hard time with the elite edges in college (he abused the non-elite guys).  Mitchell?  A good fit who needs a year in the program - not ready.  Rasheed Walker?  Perhaps the best guy in the draft but his bad habits must go.  He needs a year in the program to unlearn what  he has learned.  But everything measures and his talent is undeniable.  But that is it for help this year at tackle.  Be there or be square.  I would be amazed is any of the above fits remain on the board at pick 111.   Only Cross, Petit Friere and perhaps Penning can help us right now.  Yipe."

Ourlads had Marshall ranked 64th and we got him at 111.  He was the BAP at a position of need.  He cannot help us now but he measures and has the feet to play tackle in a zone scheme.  A great and lucky draft pick.  This could be our RT after a year in the program.  Just excellent.

Michael Clemons has been discovered by the board and that is a good thing.  But few have noted what a steal we got.  He is a high floor DE with length and strength.  Ourlads had him ranked 86th and we got him at 117.  There were some higher ranked players.  Had we not signed Berrios, I think I would have taken Calvin Austin but I am delighted with Clemons.  A man of few words.  Don't spill your drink on him.

Everywhere you look we got value.  Our division rivals?  Everywhere you look, they did odd things. 

I'm a little confused.  At 111 we drafted Max Mitchell.  Is that who you meant when you said Marshall?  If so, that differs from your comment about him (in bold).  I'm not even sure who Marshall is.

50 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

I love it! Don't mess with the Clemons! I would be careful about playing any rookie pranks on this guy!

Taping this guy to the goal post would be ratings gold on Hard Knocks.  Unless of course he goes and kills six of his teammates...  And the camera crew...    And the coaching staff...     And JD...     And Woody....

47 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I'm a little confused.  At 111 we drafted Max Mitchell.  Is that who you meant when you said Marshall?  If so, that differs from your comment about him (in bold).  I'm not even sure who Marshall is.

Thank you. Same question I had. 

Quite honestly, it would have been a colossal failure if the Jets didn't have at least a VERY GOOD Draft when they had two picks in the Top 10 of each of the first two rounds.  The bottom line is that the Jets had the resources to make this a difference-making Draft and, on paper, they may have done that.  The pitches were fat and over the plate, but you still have to hit them.  It looks like the Jets did.

• Upvote 1

I think this is a bit simplistic. Even with amazing draft capital- the jets historically have terrible drafts. So the fact that we had tons of capital doesn’t translate to a successful draft. We have chronically been a colossal failure- so the expectations are low for us. Great drafting teams with a history of great draft success- I’d agree that it would Be a colossal failure for them to have a bad draft with as much capital as we did. For us, it’s just nice to see a semblance of competency within our front office.