Who are going to be our starting FS, small linebacker and nickel corner?

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Since I am a guy that suggested they will rotate, I will say that I agree it will not be like on the DL.  I do not think that they will do a strict rotation like they do on DL to keep guys fresh, but I think they will move guys in and out and guys like Joyner, MC2 and Reed will be playing slot and FS in addition to Reed often being an outside corner.

Possibly and that would make sense. But Saleh seems pretty strict with where he lines guys up in the secondary. The LCB only play LCB for example. We’ll see. I’m not against moving guys around. Just listening to Saleh, I dont expect it.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

No one on that historically bad defense should be described as "doing a good job".

And now the two guys ahead of Carter II, Hall and Echols, are newly out of starting jobs with the additions of Gardner and Reed, the presumed CB starters.

So Carter II, previously the #3 CB/Nickel, is now the #5 CB and will have to battle Hall and Echols and also-rans like Guidry to even make the roster, much less be the starting Nickel corner.  I presume he'll make the team (Guidry likely won't), but it's an open question if he'll get any real playing time now.  

I believe Whitehead is the starting Free Safety.

Joyner and Davis will compete to be the starting Strong Safety.

Of course in this particular DB-heavy rotational system "Free vs. Strong" has less meaning that it used to back in the day.

I expect Mosley and Q.Williams to be the LB starters/get the most playing time, barring injury. 

Others will be rotational as needed.

Nasirildeen had all of 3 solo tackles last year.  I don't see him now as suddenly a starter.

Whitehead is a strong safety.  Elijah Riley is the backup.

Joyner and Pinnock will compete at Free Safety.  Davis seems more like a FS but some of his data points show him to be most effective in the box.  I see him as the possible odd man out.

Carter II was a rookie who performed admirably as a rookie who was thrown into the fire.  Don't see how he isn't the leading candidate for traditional slot role.  Hall might be primarily an outside corner, Reed has shown he can play both, and they might try to simplify things for Sauce and start him in an outside only role.

Just now, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Whitehead is a strong safety.

Joyner and Pinnock will compete at Free Safety.  Davis seems more like a FS but some of his data points show him to be most effective in the box.

Take it up with ESPN, they list Whitehead as the starting Free Safety:  https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/nyj

Ourlads lists them reversed, Whitehead as the Strong:  https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/nyj

CBSSports is with ESPN:  https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/NYJ/new-york-jets/depth-chart/

And of course, the Jets themselves don't have a Depth Chart posted as yet:  https://www.newyorkjets.com/team/depth-chart

So who knows.  We'll find out soon enough.

Carter II was a rookie who performed admirably as a rookie who was thrown into the fire.

He was a component of the worst Defense in Fancies history.  No participation trophies for that.

Don't see how he isn't the leading candidate for traditional slot role.  Hall might be primarily an outside corner, Reed has shown he can play both, and they might try to simplify things for sauce and start him in an outside only role.

As noted, the roster changed materially with the addition of two new starters.  

I am sure that the D-Staff will want to play the best three CB's where appropriate.  That may or may not be Carter II, now that Hall and Echols are out of starting jobs.  As with Safety, we'll just have to see.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

No one on that historically bad defense should be described as "doing a good job".

And now the two guys ahead of Carter II, Hall and Echols, are newly out of starting jobs with the additions of Gardner and Reed, the presumed CB starters.

So Carter II, previously the #3 CB/Nickel, is now the #5 CB and will have to battle Hall and Echols and also-rans like Guidry to even make the roster, much less be the starting Nickel corner.  I presume he'll make the team (Guidry likely won't), but it's an open question if he'll get any real playing time now.  

I believe Whitehead is the starting Free Safety.

Joyner and Davis will compete to be the starting Strong Safety.

Of course in this particular DB-heavy rotational system "Free vs. Strong" has less meaning that it used to back in the day.

I expect Mosley and Q.Williams to be the LB starters/get the most playing time, barring injury. 

Others will be rotational as needed.

Nasirildeen had all of 3 solo tackles last year.  I don't see him now as suddenly a starter.

I think MC II is almost a lock to play starting nickel corner. Hall will come in on dime packages. Echols is depth and specialty plays with 5 CBs.

I would not characterize MC 11 like you did, he is #1 Nickel but probably behind Hall and Echols for Dime and above packages.

I think Saleh likes our linebackers way way more than the fans do. I think he will continue the Nas/Sherwood experiment

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Take it up with ESPN, they list Whitehead as the starting Free Safety:  https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/nyj

Ourlads lists them reversed, Whitehead as the Strong:  https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/nyj

CBSSports is with ESPN:  https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/NYJ/new-york-jets/depth-chart/

And of course, the Jets themselves don't have a Depth Chart posted as yet:  https://www.newyorkjets.com/team/depth-chart

So who knows.  We'll find out soon enough.

He was a component of the worst Defense in Fancies history.  No participation trophies for that.

As noted, the roster changed materially with the addition of two new starters.  

I am sure that the D-Staff will want to play the best three CB's where appropriate.  That may or may not be Carter II, now that Hall and Echols are out of starting jobs.  As with Safety, we'll just have to see.

It doesn’t matter what ESPN writes.  He’s a strong safety who thrives in the box and doesn’t have the range to play free safety.

Who cares if he was part of the worst defense in franchise history?  It’s whether he can play and take the next step.  Even bad menus have something good on it.  Your logic would then mean that every player on a great defense is great.

Which takes me to slot.  The Jets are going to play the best slot in a lot of nickel packages.  A guy like Bryce Hall who might be their third best overall corner might not be suited to play on the inside.

This isn’t worth debating past this point.  But I get a feeling you’re not going to let it die ;)

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, mrcoops said:

FS - Joyner is the early leader, but I would love to see Pinnock seize the job

LB - Jets seem to like Sherwood a lot, so he's probably the front-runner.

Nickel - Carter II did a good job last year, it's his job until someone beats him out.

Lets go for a dark horse small LB DQ the UDFA. He seems to have game, but lets see if he impresses going through camp.

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

Carter was universally praised by the coaching staff last year. 

It's possible to have been doing a great job despite being part of the worst defense ever. 

45 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Carter was universally praised by the coaching staff last year.

Coaches tend to do that. 

I have no issue per se with Carter II.  

I just don't think he's a lock to start now that there are four CB's ahead of him.

45 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

It's possible to have been doing a great job despite being part of the worst defense ever. 

It is.

That doesn't guarantee him the #3 starting CB slot when they were two starters ahead of him last year who will now be competing for that same job/playing time.