• Isaiah Crowell:  $2.1M
  • Chris Herndon:  $1.6M
  • Darron Lee:  $1.4M
  • Jachai Polite:  $1.1M
  • Matt Forte:  $1M
  • Christian Hackenberg:  $795K
  • ArDarius Stewart:  $650K
  • Devin Smith $632K

Worst GM in NFL history, and it isn't close.

I remember arguing until I was blue in the face that signing Le’Veon Bell was an absolutely stupid, horrendous idea. Oh my god, the crap I got. No wonder I’m so smug. And that Enunwa contract, without any injury protections, talk about amateur hour. Fitzpatrick is mostly on Bowles naming him the starter when he wasn’t even on the team. I can’t believe people complain about JD/Saleh. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Only 51 more days until Bobby Bonilla Day.

That could be bar none THEE WORST CONTRACT IN THE HISTORY OF CONTRACTS. It’s like hitting power ball instead of taking lump sum payout you took the yearly amount for 26 years 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Such an embarassment to himself, his team and coaches. Would have been thrown off or suspended from any High School team. Hopefully never see this type of display again from the Jets

I'd say the whole "Let's be like ISIS and murder cops" thing was kinda worse than ass ball, but that's just me I guess.   

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The mere fact that none of those players were worth getting to the ends of their contracts with the team that drafted them indeed pins it on Maccagnan.  They were awful draft picks and the Jets' haven't missed a single one of those players since they were traded or cut.  But even if you want to quibble at those, what are your thoughts on the other players listed?  Not bothered by that sh*t sandwich are you?  Dude gave a contract with massive injury guarantees to a guy with a busted neck.  Come on man.

And it isn't hard at all to call him the worst GM in NFL history.  He was far worse than Tannenbaum and even Idzik (take a gander at the contracts he signed and his 2013 draft class - not that terrible), and when you look at a guy like Matt Millen's draft history, its' massively better than Maccagnan's.

For a guy like you that pays a lot of attention to the details, I'm amazed you can look at Macc's record over his 5 years and defend him in any way.  Terrible takes by you that only Pac could be proud of.

I am not defending Maccagnan, just pointing out that those instances of dead money should not be held against him.  The Titans are carrying dead money for AJ Brown.  Are you going to bash them for that?  I don't defend Maccagnan, I was probably off him before most of you, but you can certainly argue that Idzik was worse.  I can defend Maccagnan against arguments that aren't valid while despising him as a GM.  I can think Idzik was as bad without thinking Maccagnan was anything better than atrocious as a GM.

25 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I'd say the whole "Let's be like ISIS and murder cops" thing was kinda worse than ass ball, but that's just me I guess.   

Oh man, must have somehow forgotten that. Yeah, bad. Changing the culture, let's keep our fingers crossed we continue to draft and sign relatively decent human beings who can play football well

• Upvote 1

Mac was the worst GM I have ever seen, and it was obvious within the first months of his tenure.

The thing with cap money is you can play games, where you take from the future to buy success in the present.  Theres a ton of ‘transfer’ tricks you can play.  But still at the end of the day, in a 5 year period you  only have the total cap amount to play with…. You cant keep borrowing forever.

Bad GMs use this to give themselves ‘good’ years, that appeal to the fans and management.  Mac did this almost every year of his tenure, and the hilarious thing is that he failed every single year in getting anywhere.  So despite the fact that he had all these crappy contracts who’s stench was pushed into the distant future, he still utterly failed in getting anywhere.

That folks, is complete ineptitude at a scale we have never seen before.  Joe D had three years of this nonsense to deal with (and still has Mosley’s crappy contract)..  Be sure that had at least some effect on our record under Joe D.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Scratch all those names 

its still a sh*t list 

more of a wet fart, not really a full blown dookie perhaps 

but let me tell you a story 

I’m a big PSU fan. 

I probably saw close to every snap of hack’s college career. When they drafted him - I openly mocked it and I’m usually an optimist by nature. All of my psu fam knew he was a bust. Most NFL GMs knew it too. Taking that guy in the second round? JFC

that was, in all sincerity and frankness, I submit to you, good sir, the worst draft pick of all time 

That list is still complete sh*t, minus the guys I named.

Leveon Bell?  Trumaine Johnson?  Literally getting guys after their career ended.  Look at all that dead money and Bell was actually considered a bargain at the time.  Paying Enunwa was complete insanity.  The guy looked like he would never play again.  He had one catch after that contract for negative 4 yards. 

I hated the Hackenberg pick, but IMO the even worse part was what he caused.  Maccagnan picked Hackenberg and watching the way he was handled, he cost us big time.  In 2016 he could have picked Prescott.  Maccagnan seemed to think Hackenberg was "NFL ready."  After the initial camp they started to hem and haw and eventually had to cave in on Fitzpatrick - which was a separate disaster.  Then in 2017 they stood pat passing on Mahomes and Watson.  What the ever loving ****? 

There are plenty of other reasons to bash the guy too.  I don't see why we have to manufacture more, complaining about dead money that off the top of my head got us two 1sts, a 2nd, a 3rd, two 4ths, a 5th, and two 6ths. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Being no scholar on salary cap I would think it means you’re paying someone not to work for you since the organization guaranteed the amount of money you were set to receive regardless of playing status or if you are no longer employed by the organization 

Tv Show Starz GIF by Power

1 hour ago, PS17 said:

It’s been said a ton since the draft. Regardless of how these picks turn out, the vision and execution of a coherent plan has been incredible to watch. Every Jets GM since I’ve started watching in the early 2000s has just been winging it. Not Joe. 

Whereas this is true, if Jets don’t start winning games in the next year or two, all of this will go up in flames and under the microscope. Don’t forget Macc had some “really good” drafts as well. 

25 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am not defending Maccagnan, just pointing out that those instances of dead money should not be held against him.  The Titans are carrying dead money for AJ Brown.  Are you going to bash them for that?  I don't defend Maccagnan, I was probably off him before most of you, but you can certainly argue that Idzik was worse.  I can defend Maccagnan against arguments that aren't valid while despising him as a GM.  I can think Idzik was as bad without thinking Maccagnan was anything better than atrocious as a GM.

The one, single, solitary reason that Idzik is not as bad as Maccagnan is that he wasn’t here as long to screw up as much as Mac managed to do. That’s it. Eight total years of those total incompetents is why JD’s current win total sucks. That team, with those contracts, was a two year tear down project. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Actually I take that part back.  We still have the CJ Mosley contract.  Almost forgot about that.

Thanks Macc.

At least we’re starting to get some sort of ROI with Mosley. Still awful though. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Mike Macagnan is one of the worse GMs in NFL history....why isn't this talked about more nationwide when these journalists write their LOLJets pieces?.....

What are you talking about? We hit home run with McCoffee, the exec of the year his first year. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Less than 2 weeks ago, 85% of this board wanted Joe Douglas fired.  Think about that........

What he has done here will be studied by GMS for decades to come.  An absolute masterpiece.

I'm still in the unwavering 85%.   I still think we win 3 or 4 games this year, which puts JD's record at a lovely 10-40.  If that happens?  he's gone.

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Less than 2 weeks ago, 85% of this board wanted Joe Douglas fired.  Think about that........

What he has done here will be studied by GMS for decades to come.  An absolute masterpiece.

I guess what you are really saying is that 85% of this board isn't too bright.

I'm glad I'm not part of that group!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You may be his loudest fan, but you’re not the only one. I don’t think you’re in the minority. Most fans, I think, get the size of the job Joe D took on, and could see that he was actually operating a plan before this last draft. The draft was pretty sweet, though. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Actually I take that part back.  We still have the CJ Mosley contract.  Almost forgot about that.

Thanks Macc.

The CJ Mosely contract was bad and his first two years on the team were a wash. With that said, I'm glad he is here. He may not be a good value, but he is a good player. His presence will be valuable on a team with a new stable of young bucks. He might be willing to restructure his contract in 2023 and play on a more team friendly contract. 

15 minutes ago, Alka said:

I guess what you are really saying is that 85% of this board isn't too bright.

I'm glad I'm not part of that group!

You're part of the group Jet ownership has banked on for decades.  I was there for quite a long time, too.  Started watching the team in '65.  Then I just got fed up with being fed the same b/s with the various GMs/HC changes.  The one thread throughout their mess--and which JD shares a part--is losing.   period.

2 hours ago, CSNY said:

Seeing the cap situation of the NY football Giants Gettleman gave Mac a run for his money. They are in the same shape cap wise as the Jets were in when JD took over 

True, but he drafted better than Maccagnan, at least.  He hit on some middle rounders.  

Gettleman is definitely in the top 5 of worst NFL GMs ever.  Maybe top 3.

11 minutes ago, slats said:

You may be his loudest fan, but you’re not the only one. I don’t think you’re in the minority. Most fans, I think, get the size of the job Joe D took on, and could see that he was actually operating a plan before this last draft. The draft was pretty sweet, though. 

Yes.  In fact I think it's probably closer to the opposite where maybe 85% of this board understood JD's plan - and were patient with it.  Some more grudgingly than others - yet still accepting. 

Many of us have been calling for a GM to finally do what JD has done.  To me,  his plan was clear from the moment he demanded a 6 year contract. 

Thankfully the clean up part is over - now we'll see if JD can build a winner - looks good so far but we'll know soon enough.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't see why we have to manufacture more, complaining about dead money that off the top of my head got us two 1sts, a 2nd, a 3rd, two 4ths, a 5th, and two 6ths. 

Douglas getting those picks out of those players is a credit to him, not a plus in Maccagnan’s column.