What are your expectations for Zach Wilson in Year 2?

One thing working against Zach is the defenses in the division are top notch, and usually in the Top 10 if not Top 5 in the NFL.

No cupcake defenses in the division to boost/ inflate stats.

Also a lot of man to man, with blitzing.  Tougher defensive schemes for a young QB.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

it doesn't matter how Zach Wilson plays

he's going to be here for like 10 years no matter what 

they are going to give him some massive undeserved extension that will make Sanchez blush 

there will always be hope for him to take the next step. we'll be in year 6 of Zach hoping for him to take that next step 

that's my prediction and if you don't like it take it up with JetBlue the official airline partner of the New York Jets 

And you don’t think your getting in front of of your skis here?  After a rookie season?

10 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

And you don’t think your getting in front of of your skis here?  After a rookie season?

This outcome I described is way more likely than JD seeing ZW play poorly year 2 and Josh Rosen him for a high pick in year 3 

that's exactly what's not going to happen. JD is loyal to a fault. That's why Mims, Zuniga and Ashtyn Davis are still kicking around. 

and even beyond JD there are franchise level marketing concerns that makes it impossible Woody will approve a CJ Stroud pick next year, even if they lose every game 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, jNYC1 said:

I predict many will blame the coaches for not developing him… particularly Saleh.

Even though the team has done everything possible to coach him up… and LaFleur was able to get 300yd + games out of Josh Johnson and Mike White.

Double post.  I'm a douche.

Edited by Biggs

47 minutes ago, Biggs said:

In fairness to Zach.  Saleh was a rookie HC and was worse as an NFL head coach than Zach was as a rookie QB.   Zach was clearly not ready to start day 1 and yet he was annointed day 1 of training camp.  

The Jets made a decision to hire a rookie HC from the defensive side of the ball.  He decided to hire a very inexperienced coach to run the O.  They decided Zach would start day 1 when they decided to draft him.   That's not development that's throwing the kid in the deep end of the pool and saying swim.  

Zach isn't the only one who needs to get better in year 2.  The HC needs to get a lot better in year 2.  

Should also be noted that for all the whinging about Greg Knapp, Saleh didn’t do a thing to replace him this offseason and has, in fact, been losing coaches from the offensive side of the ball. The current QB coach has three years of NFL experience, and that experience is all based around “developing” Drew Lock. Tough way to do business.  

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Should also be noted that for all the whinging about Greg Knapp, Saleh didn’t do a thing to replace him this offseason and has, in fact, been losing coaches from the offensive side of the ball. The current QB coach has three years of NFL experience, and that experience is all based around “developing” Drew Lock. Tough way to do business.  

What happened to Knapp was tragic.  It’s not an excuse for botching the evaluation and development of the teams most important player.  

I think Zach is going to be great but even if he is still struggling because he is young and learning this year, we will still be ok.  This team is about defense and running the ball.  And that is what we are going to be excellent at this year.  Zach deosnt have to be a super star for us to win games.

Pound the rock, rush the passer and a blanket secondary.  That is what will win us games this year.

• Haha 1

On 5/10/2022 at 9:34 PM, DepressedJetsFan23 said:

I think it’s important to say Josh Allen was the exception not the rule. In the last few years you tend to know by year 2 whether the QB is going to be the guy or not. Our expectations should be high, there is plenty of pieces around him, 2nd year in the offense, it’s time to show he can play. I don’t want to put hard numbers into it because I think we will know just by watching whether or not he can be the guy we have been waiting for. 

Got to give him more rope. He had no business playing in his first year. He was awful in the first half but it wasn’t surprising. Terrible OL, new CS, LaFleuer was all over the place, Davis and Moore often injured, defense sucked constantly playing from behind etc etc. But he bounced back in 2nd half and played much better. Conservative but steady. He now has a more stable set of weapons: Conklin, Rucker, Uzomah, Hall, Garrett. The OL should be significantly better with Becton returning and Tomlinson. Moore has a year under his belt and hopefully Davis can stay healthy and not have to be ‘the guy’ because he’s not ‘the guy’. This year I look for vast improvement - steady but not spectacular. He’s still wet behind the ears. But it’s important for him to start being a leader on this team. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Got to give him more rope. He had no business playing in his first year. He was awful in the first half but it wasn’t surprising. Terrible OL, new CS, LaFleuer was all over the place, Davis and Moore often injured, defense sucked constantly playing from behind etc etc. But he bounced back in 2nd half and played much better. Conservative but steady. He now has a more stable set of weapons: Conklin, Rucker, Uzomah, Hall, Garrett. The OL should be significantly better with Becton returning and Tomlinson. Moore has a year under his belt and hopefully Davis can stay healthy and not have to be ‘the guy’ because he’s not ‘the guy’. This year I look for vast improvement - steady but not spectacular. He’s still wet behind the ears. But it’s important for him to start being a leader on this team. 

Excellent post.  We need to see improvement from week to week.  But by no means if hes not Justin Herbert it means we need to search elsewhere.  Zach is getting 3-4 years to qb and grow with this team.  Its not all going to happen this season.

Most of you wanted Joe Douglas fired 14 days ago.  Lets not make the same mistake and be calling for Zachs head if hes not lighting up the league by week 3.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Excellent post.  We need to see improvement from week to week.  But by no means if hes not Justin Herbert it means we need to search elsewhere.  Zach is getting 3-4 years to qb and grow with this team.  Its not all going to happen this season.

Most of you wanted Joe Douglas fired 14 days ago.  Lets not make the same mistake and be calling for Zachs head if hes not lighting up the league by week 3.

Yea I give him another 2 years. If he’s not slinging and wingin it by then, find another QB. At the very least, the roster will be extremely improved by then and you can just insert a good veteran QB in. Hopefully, Zach makes considerable strides this year. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Yea I give him another 2 years. If he’s not slinging and wingin it by then, find another QB. At the very least, the roster will be extremely improved by then and you can just insert a good veteran QB in. Hopefully, Zach makes considerable strides this year. 

Yup.  Joe and Robert's philosophy is that if you invest in a player, you need to give him a full 3 years beofre closing the book on him.  They understand everyone progresses at different rates and the Justin herberts of the nfl are an anomoly.

I believe the best attribute Joe and Robert have is patience.  There are no quick fixes with these 2.  Everything is done with a long term vision.  Its beautiful.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

If they still have an incomplete grade on Zach at the end of this season, I’d expect an investment in a marginal starter type QB to back him up next year. Some one to push him from behind, or who could take over if need be. JD and Saleh could potentially be fighting for their jobs next season, if they don’t completely believe in Zach by then, they’ll have a plan B. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Eh.  I think Knapp was in a special role to deal with having a young QB and inexperienced play caller.  They added Cavanaugh and Beck to "nuture" Wilson and let LaFleur move up to the booth.  Things seemed to work better from there.  I don't think either of those guys was supposed to stick around.  Maybe now they are comfortable with LaFleur in the booth and it doesn't matter.  Maybe they will add somebody.  I don't think they lost any coaches of consequence.  Assistant OLine coach?  Time management?  I think those types of guys jump ship for greener pastures all the time and I think they are often restocked later as camp starts and you find out who you need for camp.  

Calabrese's claim to fame was not "developing" Drew Lock, it was being the guy the Broncos tried to have allowed to start at QB because everybody else was out with Covid and injury.   The league denied it to "avoid coaching staffs being used to stash extra players."  FWIW, I read an article about him being discussed as a potential OC candidate at Kentucky a few months ago.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Calabrese's claim to fame was not "developing" Drew Lock, it was being the guy the Broncos tried to have allowed to start at QB because everybody else was out with Covid and injury.   The league denied it to "avoid coaching staffs being used to stash extra players."  FWIW, I read an article about him being discussed as a potential OC candidate at Kentucky a few months ago.

And now this is the only guy managing Zach Wilson, which seems suboptimal. 

7 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Agree with what your saying, that’s why I said I would prefer the eye test opposed to hard numbers

• Upvote 1