Zach Wilson took HUGE strides forward in 2021. The analytics don’t tell the story | Film Breakdown

“He sucks” is relative to the greatest QBs in the game, on planet earth. 

You can cherry pick it and convince yourself of anything. 

He was in a tough spot, Becton, AVT, Moore missed significant camp time. First time play caller. Always playing from behind. 

What frustrated me was the lack of confidence and decision making combined with the hero ball nonsense. 

What concerned me was taking a shot gun snap and drifting backwards and running out the back door when he had pressure. Needs to toughen up too

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, Larz said:

“He sucks” is relative to the greatest QBs in the game, on planet earth. 

You can cherry pick it and convince yourself of anything. 

He was in a tough spot, Becton, AVT, Moore missed significant camp time. First time play caller. Always playing from behind. 

What frustrated me was the lack of confidence and decision making combined with the hero ball nonsense. 

What concerned me was taking a shot gun snap and drifting backwards and running out the back door when he had pressure. Needs to toughen up too

This.

If Wilson just shows he has learned to step up in the pocket instead of bailing as soon as there is pressure,  that in itself woukd be progress. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

I like the Aussie but this is bad.  At one point he pulls a full on JN Zackamania line and it's amazing.  Zach makes a nice throw over a defender into a window and he says, "this arm talent, this is velocity, this about fitting a ball into a window that nobody else in the NFL can" and then immediately says "I say nobody, ofcourse there are" and starts reeling off QB's.  lmfao.  So good.  He must be a poster.  I've got a few guess.  lol

• Haha 2

I can be honest and say I was sour on getting rid of Darnold to draft Wilson. I was wrong and I'm glad that Douglas made the move. Wilson is gonna be a stud in this league starting this year. To hell with Tua and Mack. Zack has his eyes locked on the big fish up in Buffalo.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

See the Tampa game against the #4 D.  He was throwing ropes into the smallest of windows consistently ALL game with Berrios as his #1.  He had the GOAT beaten for 59 min 30 seconds, with an injury ravaged offense.  No prior Jet QBs of the last 20 years could have played that well in those circumstances.

Can he make throws like that on a consistent basis in 2022?  Why not?  He has a Top 10 OL now.  He has lots of speed from a dangerous WR room.  He has 2 dangerous RBs in his backfield.  He also has 3 Pro TEs whereas in his Rookie year he had none.  He actually had No WRs and No RBs and No TEs in what was probably his signature game of his rookie year vs Brady.  It’s pretty universally acknowledged that he checks all the physical boxes as far as attributes in a QB.

Actually I think it would be more surprising if he Didn’t step up his game significantly this year.  He made a very crucial adjustment to his game regarding ball security after coming back from injury.

This is all true. There are some amazing analytics out there as well. One I saw was that if the Jets receivers only dropped passes at the NFL average he would have been around 65% accuracy. People act like he was skipping every pass. There was another that Zach led the league with something like 9 completions tackled at the one. People love to talk about the Mike White game but Zach before then was seriously hampered by ultra conservative play calling (my worry is they will do this again and limit his progress}

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

The weird thing with PFF is that until the Buffalo Game Zach settled into the mid 20s of their rankings with Trevor Lawrence under him. Then he had that Buffalo game and it dropped him below Trevor Lawrence, that’s often cited as “Zach Wilson so bad but Lawrence has upside.” Makes no sense and shows the flaw of small sample size.

Wilson sucked last year. He did improve as the year went on. He was still not impressive. Give him this season and start to make plans to move on if he still sucks.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I keep coming back to the week 18 vs Buffalo 

Yes everyone was injured. Yes it was windy 

But there's no excuse for an offense on 2021 nfl picking up only 53 net yards in a game 

It’s was the worst offensive output in Jets franchise history 

Zach wilson may or may not be be good this year but he has this group of loyal defenders who want to believe, so they do 

It's not really based on facts or evidence 

There's way more blind haters than loyal defenders.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I keep coming back to the week 18 vs Buffalo 

Yes everyone was injured. Yes it was windy 

But there's no excuse for an offense on 2021 nfl picking up only 53 net yards in a game 

It’s was the worst offensive output in Jets franchise history 

Think about that 

Worse than any kotite team worse than any Adam gase team. Worse than the expansion Titans in 1962.

The rules have changed so much to protect the offense over time. 

Zach wilson may or may not be be good this year but he has this group of loyal defenders who want to believe, so they do 

It's not really based on facts or evidence

It's based on optimism. And I guess that gets people through the day. 

Ok, now do the one where you see the good possibilities, you know, the positives.

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

It's really hard to take "analysis" from Jets-centric sources seriously on stuff like this.

They're feeding an audience what it wants to hear.

I think that most of the people who watch this content understand this.  A slight majority 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

We shouldn't be putting him into Canton just yet but the ones that only see the negative in Zach and remind us in every thread really hamper the joy of coming here to talk Jets.  He's our QB, likely for a very long time.

I feel bad for them. They can't fully enjoy any success to come. It's emotionally impossible. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

The "eye test" doesn't lie, but analytics and statistics do. 

Got it. :-k

I'm not saying he wasn't bad but there was definitely a difference between the beginning of the season and the end. And he was playing without Corey Davis or Elijah Moore. 

You don't think there was?