Zach Wilson took HUGE strides forward in 2021. The analytics don’t tell the story | Film Breakdown

Just now, kevinc855 said:

This is the same crowd telling me we needed to give Sam 3 years. 

I really hope for our sake Wilson is good in 22 but let’s not get it confused. He was AWFUL last year for the number 2 pick of the draft 

BS 

you guys should stop projecting.  The OLine was awful to start the year and bad end it.  Mac Jones would have been dead by week3.  You and all the other miserables never enjoyed Zach eluding the rush and couldn’t see anything good when it was right in front of you.  

The WRs were garbage to end the season and he did well.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Hal N of Provo said:

BS 

you guys should stop projecting.  The OLine was awful to start the year and bad end it.  Mac Jones would have been dead by week3.  You and all the other miserables never enjoyed Zach eluding the rush and couldn’t see anything good when it was right in front of you.  

You can blame the o line all you want. He looked like the game was to fast for him. Didn’t get it out quick, couldn’t hit basic screen passes, bad accuracy issues. He just didn’t look good and any objective person would see that. We are all fans and rooting for him but I’m not going to be Baghdad bob for the guy 

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

You can blame the o line all you want. He looked like the game was to fast for him. Didn’t get it out quick, couldn’t hit basic screen passes, bad accuracy issues. He just didn’t look good and any objective person would see that. We are all fans and rooting for him but I’m not going to be Baghdad bob for the guy 

R-O-O-K-I-E 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I keep coming back to the week 18 vs Buffalo

Lol, of course you do. That’s your happy place. At the time of that game, I did not want Zach to start. Keelan Cole and Jeff Smith were his starting receivers, Feeney at center, McDermott at LT, all against the #1 defense in the league, and a Super Bowl contending team needing the win for playoff seeding. It was bleak. He was sacked 8 times for -79 yards, but still managed to lead the team in rushing that day with 24 yards on two carries. The Jets, as a team, had no business even being on the field that day. You feel free to pin it on Zach, though. 

• Upvote 4

I will say, I’ve been surprised at how pessimistic so much of the Zach Wilson talk has been among NFL media types. It’s been legitimately hard to find positive analysis or an optimistic outlook on his future, other than from Orlovsky and Simms, who are dopey hot take merchants.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, freestater said:

I get that he played bad last year, but he did improve as the season went on. Particularly  between the ears. If he can grow in this offense with his new targets, then he could end up being very good. I do like the fact that the Jets are following that new hot trend of letting a young QB stay in one system for his first couple years. ? Thats something we never seem to try. 

Lol that is SOOO true. You see a ton of teams doing this sequence and it kills young QBs

1. Team does poor, picks QB in RD1, usually high

2. QB struggles team does poorly again

3. Management fires GM and staff

4. New HC and GM bring in all new systems often without the players they need

5. QB struggles again because everything is new

6. QB labelled bust

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I will say, I’ve been happily surprised at how pessimistic so much of the Zach Wilson talk has been among NFL media types. It’s been legitimately hard to find positive analysis or an optimistic outlook on his future, other than from Orlovsky and Simms, who are dopey hot take merchants.

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

I like the Aussie but this is bad.  At one point he pulls a full on JN Zackamania line and it's amazing.  Zach makes a nice throw over a defender into a window and he says, "this arm talent, this is velocity, this about fitting a ball into a window that nobody else in the NFL can" and then immediately says "I say nobody, ofcourse there are" and starts reeling off QB's.  lmfao.  So good.  He must be a poster.  I've got a few guess.  lol

The Aussie is Luke Grant, who is arguably the biggest snowflake in Jets media. Prior to the Jets even drafting Wilson, I responded to one of Grant's tweets and made one of my common "Wilson criticisms" and Grant immediately blocked me. Luke Grant is a little b!tch. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, maury77 said:

The Aussie is Luke Grant, who is arguably the biggest snowflake in Jets media. Prior to the Jets even drafting Wilson, I responded to one of Grant's tweets and made one of my common "Wilson criticisms" and Grant immediately blocked me. Luke Grant is a little b!tch. 

This thread is like the mating call for the short seller brigade.

8 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

The patented 2021 season Zach Wilson move:  Drop back.  Feel a mild rush.  Scramble madly toward the right sideline.  Then either fling the ball as far as he could throw it, at the feet or lower to a wide open receiver underneath, run out of bounds, or get get sacked.

I literally have nothing new to add on this topic. If you feel positive about Wilson based upon last year, nothing I say will change your mind. If you are pessimistic on Wilson, then you already know my material. We will have a more definitive answer by the end of 2022. 

• Sympathy 2

1 minute ago, maury77 said:

I literally have nothing new to add on this topic. If you feel positive about Wilson based upon last year, nothing I say will change your mind. If you are pessimistic on Wilson, then you already know my material. We will have a more definitive answer by the end of 2022. 

Exactly how I feel, too.  I think the kid stinks and will be worse than Darnold.  But I gave up arguing the point.  I'm content to give my opinion and just wait until the inevitable awakens the sleepers (deluded?).

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

The patented 2021 season Zach Wilson move:  Drop back.  Feel a mild rush.  Scramble madly toward the right sideline.  Then either fling the ball as far as he could throw it, at the feet or lower to a wide open receiver underneath, run out of bounds, or get get sacked.

“Mild rush” lol 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Hulk Hogan Agree GIF

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, slats said:

I know you like to base the large majority of your positions on straight up statistics

I also watch the games, same as all the "eye test" folks, lol.

But yes, I lean on metrics, because ultimately a guy can "look" amazing, but if while "looking amazing" he still produces only 50 yards and 4 INT's, he still sucks worse than a guy who "looked like trash" and produced 100 yards and 3 TD's.

JN has ALOT of folks who love to say the 50/4 INT guy is the bestest bestest but but but EYE TEST, while calling the 100/3 TD guy trash.

Numbers, ultimately, are what matters.  Not eye test.  Wins/Loses.  Producing what your position is supposed to produce.

, but this video highlighted some of the issues Zach was still facing at the end of the season with drops and tackles at the one yard line. Hard to compile numbers when Davis, Coles, and Tarik Black(?!?) are dropping your well thrown passes. The Jets organization was a mitigating factor last year.

Absolutely.  

With that said, Zach was worse than the "rest of the team", and his poor play mostly (with some exceptions) dragged down the rest of the team.  He is, after all, the single most important and influential player on the field at QB.

But unquestionably, there were some mitigating factors last year.  Same as there were flashes of great talent last year as well.

Hence why everyone, hater and homer alike, are looking forward to this year and this newly rebuilt roster full of offensive talent around Zach.  We all want to see if last year was a fluke, and Zach rises to be that Franchise QB we were promised when he was drafted.  Exciting times!

Second half, Zach was better

At not throwing INT's, absolutely.  Not so much anything else. 

But yes, the mitigating factors were generally worse later in the season.

Listen, he needs to be a lot better.

We agree.  This should be an obvious point of agreement for everyone I'd think.

A lot of pressure on him

A ton.

and I think there’s even more on the coaches after JD pretty much nailed this entire offseason.

Less than on Zach, I think, but yes, alot. 

If both perform poorly, and one is dumped, it'll be Zach before Saleh.  IMO of course.

This is what we wanted, Zach shouldn’t have the same excuses (read: some legit reasons) available that he had last year. 

100%, nailed it.  JD did his job.  Time for Zach and Saleh to do theirs.

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I also watch the games, same as all the "eye test" folks, lol.

But yes, I lean on metrics, because ultimately a guy can "look" amazing, but if while "looking amazing" he still produces only 50 yards and 4 INT's, he still sucks worse than a guy who "looked like trash" and produced 100 yards and 3 TD's.

JN has ALOT of folks who love to say the 50/4 INT guy is the bestest bestest but but but EYE TEST, while calling the 100/3 TD guy trash.

Numbers, ultimately, are what matters.  Not eye test.  Wins/Loses.  Producing what your position is supposed to produce.

Absolutely.  

With that said, Zach was worse than the "rest of the team", and his poor play mostly (with some exceptions) dragged down the rest of the team.  He is, after all, the single most important and influential player on the field at QB.

But unquestionably, there were some mitigating factors last year.  Same as there were flashes of great talent last year as well.

Hence why everyone, hater and homer alike, are looking forward to this year and this newly rebuilt roster full of offensive talent around Zach.  We all want to see if last year was a fluke, and Zach rises to be that Franchise QB we were promised when he was drafted.  Exciting times!

At not throwing INT's, absolutely.  Not so much anything else. 

But yes, the mitigating factors were generally worse later in the season.

We agree.  This should be an obvious point of agreement for everyone I'd think.

A ton.

Less than on Zach, I think, but yes, alot. 

If both perform poorly, and one is dumped, it'll be Zach before Saleh.  IMO of course.

100%, nailed it.  JD did his job.  Time for Zach and Saleh to do theirs.

Zach carried the team week 1 and against Tampa 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I'm neutral on Wilson.  Last year wasn't disqualifying.  Nor was it any real cause for rejoicing or optimism really.

"Show Us" is the best concise definition for the 2022 Jets.  For Wilson and Saleh both.

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I would agree with this for the first part of the year. Down the stretch, I felt like his depleted roster let him down a lot more than he let them down, which is the point of the video. Anyway, I like being optimistic, and I’m looking forward to seeing what he looks like in this souped up offense. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm neutral on Wilson.  Last year wasn't disqualifying.  Nor was it any real cause for rejoicing or optimism really.

"Show Us" is the best concise definition for the 2022 Jets.  For Wilson and Saleh both.

I don't think last year was conclusive, but it obviously has some value projecting future results. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

BS 

Woody?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, maury77 said:

15 minutes later:

9 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I don't think last year was conclusive, but it obviously has some value projecting future results. 

18 minutes later

6 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Wilson had 224 yards and the run game had 150. Wilson was good that day, but IMO "carry" is a stretch. 

You don't like the guy...it's fine.  You enjoy attacking him - good for you.

But don't pretend like you're going to stop.  

• Upvote 2