Zach Wilson took HUGE strides forward in 2021. The analytics don’t tell the story | Film Breakdown

For the most part Zach sucked last year but I think it was obvious he was playing his best football at the end of the season. If you want to point to the game @Buffalo, other QB's weren't having much success out there in December either. 

Look at his pace: 2/3, 19 yards, 0TD/0INT
Cam Newton: 18/38, 156 yards, 1TD/1INT
Matt Ryan: 13/23, 197 yards, 0TD/0INT
Zack Wilson: 7/20, 87 yards, 1TD/0INT
playoffs
Look at his pace: 24/38, 232 yards, 2TD/2INT
^ most of those yards came in garbage time

Their are no excuses for Zach this season. The Jets have done everything right by him. It's time for him to show us why he was the 2nd overall pick.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Dwight Englewood said:

Looking at stats after watching the games is lazy?  Should we just defer to PFF?  Oh wait, they rated Wilson 32 out of 32 starting QBs last season

The Eagles game? Zach put up the stats in first half, both TDs happened early and he snuck  in another. The kicker missed 2 PATs and the Jets defense let the Minshew Eagles control the ball for most of the second and third quarters. The offense went cold after they lost Corey Davis to injury. 

Also I don’t think Wilson was 32 of 32, I’m pretty sure they had Fields at 32 and Wilson was 29 until the week where the Jets put him behind a 2nd string OL and 0 starting receivers in 40 mph winds against the #1 defense. Small sample sizes are weird that way.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

A football message board is not a place for sincerity. Makes me uncomfortable like when I shake someone hand and they hold it for a second too long. Yikes!

Or like when you go to a fancy restaurant and the bathroom guy shakes your penis a few seconds too long after you're done and it turns into 5 full minutes - what, only me?

• Haha 1

I know it’s fluff season, but I don’t care… (from PFT)

C.J. Uzomah: I’m expecting Zach Wilson to make huge strides this season

Posted by Myles Simmons on May 11, 2022, 1:19 PM EDT 

Tight end C.J. Uzomah witnessed Joe Burrow‘s significant jump from Year One to Year Two with the Bengals last season.

Having signed with the Jets in free agency, Uzomah is working with another second-year QB in Zach Wilson. The veteran tight end has been impressed with what he’s seen so far.

“He’s talented as hell — I’m just gonna say it,” Uzomah said in a Wednesday press conference, via SNY. “I’ve watched a lot of film, just trying to study up on the offense as a whole. But watching him back there, I’m expecting him to make huge strides this season. … He’s been asking me a bunch of questions, trying to pick my brain with things. I’ve been asking him a bunch of questions about certain routes and certain coverages and why we’re running certain concepts the way we’re running them and what he expects of us.”

Uzomah, 29, entered the league as a fifth-round pick in 2015 and had spent his whole career with Cincinnati. But now he’s got a 22-year-old quarterback, who he called “a smart kid.”

“I say kid, he’s young,” Uzomah said. “I feel old now with all these guys, we’ve got a few of them that were born in 2000 — I’m like, what the heck’s going on? But he’s an unbelievable player. He has an unbelievable mind. And I’ve been excited, just over the couple of months that I’ve been here, [about] what he knows and what he’s expecting of us.”

Wilson was actually born in 1999 and turns 23 on Aug. 3. But Uzomah’s point still stands.

In 2021, Wilson completed 55.6 percent of his passes for 2,334 yards with nine touchdowns and 11 interceptions in 13 starts.

• Sympathy 3

4 minutes ago, slats said:

I know it’s fluff season, but I don’t care… (from PFT)

C.J. Uzomah: I’m expecting Zach Wilson to make huge strides this season

Posted by Myles Simmons on May 11, 2022, 1:19 PM EDT 

Tight end C.J. Uzomah witnessed Joe Burrow‘s significant jump from Year One to Year Two with the Bengals last season.

Having signed with the Jets in free agency, Uzomah is working with another second-year QB in Zach Wilson. The veteran tight end has been impressed with what he’s seen so far.

“He’s talented as hell — I’m just gonna say it,” Uzomah said in a Wednesday press conference, via SNY. “I’ve watched a lot of film, just trying to study up on the offense as a whole. But watching him back there, I’m expecting him to make huge strides this season. … He’s been asking me a bunch of questions, trying to pick my brain with things. I’ve been asking him a bunch of questions about certain routes and certain coverages and why we’re running certain concepts the way we’re running them and what he expects of us.”

Uzomah, 29, entered the league as a fifth-round pick in 2015 and had spent his whole career with Cincinnati. But now he’s got a 22-year-old quarterback, who he called “a smart kid.”

“I say kid, he’s young,” Uzomah said. “I feel old now with all these guys, we’ve got a few of them that were born in 2000 — I’m like, what the heck’s going on? But he’s an unbelievable player. He has an unbelievable mind. And I’ve been excited, just over the couple of months that I’ve been here, [about] what he knows and what he’s expecting of us.”

Wilson was actually born in 1999 and turns 23 on Aug. 3. But Uzomah’s point still stands.

In 2021, Wilson completed 55.6 percent of his passes for 2,334 yards with nine touchdowns and 11 interceptions in 13 starts.

How would Uzomah know if Zach is going to make "huge strides"?  He knows him for like 20 minutes.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

I do expect Zach Wilson to improve this upcoming season. He doesn't have to study a new playbook from a new OC in his 2nd year and has weapons and an improved OL. If he does struggle, I'll be a bit worried that he'll be a bust. 

39 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

How would Uzomah know if Zach is going to make "huge strides"?  He knows him for like 20 minutes.

Because like everyone here, he knows what Zach looked like last year. Unlike everyone here, he also knows what he currently looks like. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, kdels62 said:

The Eagles game? Zach put up the stats in first half, both TDs happened early and he snuck  in another. The kicker missed 2 PATs and the Jets defense let the Minshew Eagles control the ball for most of the second and third quarters. The offense went cold after they lost Corey Davis to injury. 

Also I don’t think Wilson was 32 of 32, I’m pretty sure they had Fields at 32 and Wilson was 29 until the week where the Jets put him behind a 2nd string OL and 0 starting receivers in 40 mph winds against the #1 defense. Small sample sizes are weird that way.

Nope, Fields was actually the second highest rated rookie QB behind Mac Jones. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2021-quarterback-rankings

1 hour ago, slats said:

Because like everyone here, he knows what Zach looked like last year. Unlike everyone here, he also knows what he currently looks like. 

I hear you.  But realistically, how many practices could they have had together?  No way it could possibly be statistically representative.  Plus, until Uzomah sees how Zach reacts to a life fire D/rush, he has no idea.  None.

And yes, I know you called it a puff piece.

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I will say, I’ve been surprised at how pessimistic so much of the Zach Wilson talk has been among NFL media types. It’s been legitimately hard to find positive analysis or an optimistic outlook on his future, other than from Orlovsky and Simms, who are dopey hot take merchants.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/nfl-move-the-sticks-with-daniel-jeremiah-bucky-brooks/id915544088?i=1000560363828

Coincidentally, just listened to this today. Theme: which 2nd year QB is primed for the biggest jump?

1. Davis Mills!

2. Trevor Lawrence (because of Pederson, Mike McCoy, and Press Taylor)!

3. Mac Jones!

That’s it. They spent ten seconds on Zach Wilson, and said “well they drafted Breece Hall, so that’s good.”

Guy they didn’t think would make the jump: Justin Fields, because the Bears offensive personnel stinks. 

3 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Anyone who tries to treat PFF like a definitive stat loses credibility.  It’s often the only metric we have as fans, but it’s flawed at best.  

It’s flawed for sure. The main thing I would change is the grade for each play goes from -2 to +2.  I’d make it-5 to +5. 

I would also weigh the last 4 minutes of each half more, maybe 25% more. 

but the nice thing is they aren’t biased by contract, draft status or personality 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Larz said:

It’s flawed for sure. The main thing I would change is the grade for each play goes from -2 to +2.  I’d make it-5 to +5. 

I would also weigh the last 4 minutes of each half more, maybe 25% more. 

but the nice thing is they aren’t biased by contract, draft status or personality 

All these metrics/grades/advanced stats are nothing more than clickbait. There are too many variables in football. The only ones that could really accurately grade the players are the coaches-they know the play design/blocking assignments, etc. 

7 minutes ago, LongTimeJetFan said:

All these metrics/grades/advanced stats are nothing more than clickbait. There are too many variables in football. The only ones that could really accurately grade the players are the coaches-they know the play design/blocking assignments, etc. 

can you please show me the coaches grades ?

JFC, a lot of people are going to get proven right or wrong, but we'll know for sure in a few months. Let's just enjoy the fact that for the first time in about 7 years the Jets have an actual NFL level roster and a lot of promising young talent. 

I hope the kid lights it the **** up, but I think at worst we get a 3,500 yard 20/12 Performance and a tough decision in a 2023. 

Enough with the stupid agendas, irrational hate, unconditional love stuff and let's wait to see him play. We're only about 78 days from Training Camp.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

JFC, a lot of people are going to get proven right or wrong, but we'll know for sure in a few months. Let's just enjoy the fact that for the first time in about 7 years the Jets have an actual NFL level roster and a lot of promising young talent. 

I hope the kid lights it the **** up, but I think at worst we get a 3,500 yard 20/12 Performance and a tough decision in a 2023. 

Enough with the stupid agendas, irrational hate, unconditional love stuff and let's wait to see him play. We're 90 days from Training Camp.

Based on those stats alone.. that's not a tough decision. He would get year 3. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/nfl-move-the-sticks-with-daniel-jeremiah-bucky-brooks/id915544088?i=1000560363828

Coincidentally, just listened to this today. Theme: which 2nd year QB is primed for the biggest jump?

1. Davis Mills!

3. Mac Jones!

That’s it. They spent ten seconds on Zach Wilson, and said “well they drafted Breece Hall, so that’s good.”

Guy they didn’t think would make the jump: Justin Fields, because the Bears offensive personnel stinks. 

People are afraid to put their name on something so unknown. He was bad last year. It’s too bold of a take to say he’ll now  just turn into a good QB. 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

1. Davis Mills!

3. Mac Jones!

IT'S TOO LATE TO CANCEL MY SEASON TICKETS IM AT THE POINT OF NO RETURN!!

AAAHHHHH

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Larz said:

can you please show me the coaches grades ?

No I cannot which is why this stuff exists. It generates content, discussion, clicks. 

Mel Kiper has talked for years about how he hates doing mock drafts and draft grades, but understands he has to because that is what sells. 

PFF has a lot of good analysis, but the “grades” are what keeps them in business. 

• Upvote 1

Don’t need analytics, statistics or any type of rating to see Zach was not good last year especially to begin the season. Got better as season went on but was still well below average. Definitely liked what I saw against Tampa so I am Optimistic he will get markedly better this upcoming season 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Don’t need analytics, statistics or any type of rating to see Zach was not good last year especially to begin the season. Got better as season went on but was still well below average. Definitely liked what I saw against Tampa so I am Optimistic he will get markedly better this upcoming season 

This is where i am.   If he plays poorly….  Nothing else matters.   

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

This is where i am.   If he plays poorly….  Nothing else matters.   

If the rest of the team is good you can plug a Baker Mayfield in and be a playoff team.  Soonest that would happen is 23 and in 23 you’d get a camp competition, but it’s another way to win 

13 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

If the rest of the team is good you can plug a Baker Mayfield in and be a playoff team.  Soonest that would happen is 23 and in 23 you’d get a camp competition, but it’s another way to win 

Look at how far the Jags went not too long ago with Blake Bortles. Even Jets with Sanchez. You can be competitive with a bad/mediocre QB. You can even win a super bowl if thinks break your way. 

Franchise QBs do help bad teams stay competitive. 

• Upvote 1

It's from a decade ago, but worth considering:

Overall, I would say these two views of quarterback development suggest that the only year when quarterback improvement is significantly likely is year two. Then you have a few years where guys might improve or decline unpredictably. There isn't really anything special about the fourth season. And then around age 30 or 31, as we've seen in previous studies, quarterbacks begin to decline.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2012/quarterback-development-patterns

With the signing of Laken, year two in this system for every other lineman, and the addition of Breece Hall, the running game should be significantly better. 

We now have six viable weapons in the passing game, runningbacks excluded, with Moore, Davis, Wilson, Berrios, Uzomah & Conklin. 

It's not crazy to think that both Zach Wilson and the rest of the offense improve dramatically at the same time. 

• Upvote 2