Patriots first round pick Cole Strange throwing 95 on the black

12 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

If I was a celebrity,  the last thing I would want to do is throw out a baseball first pitch. If you do a good job, nobody cares or remembers and if you screw it up, you become Cole Strange. 

"Just a bit outside..."

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm not surprised that many people asked can't do it.

I'm surprised how many that can't do it agree to do it.

How do you make it to the NFL and can't throw a baseball though. I get he's a lineman but they're still elite athletes compared to the general population. It's not like throwing a baseball takes a ton of athleticism either. Like - did you never play baseball growing up?

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It truly surprises me at how many people asked to throw out baseballs can not in fact throw a baseball at all.

Astonishing actually....  my daughter is in teeball.  Doesnt even love it...  her throw was equal or better than this clown.   

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

How do you make it to the NFL and can't throw a baseball though. I get he's a lineman but they're still elite athletes compared to the general population. It's not like throwing a baseball takes a ton of athleticism either. Like - did you never play baseball growing up?

My son pitched through all of little league.  In fact, on of his trainers told him to throw a football in the offseason as an exercise for keeping his arm strength up.  Nolan Ryan used to do it as well.  If you can throw a football straight, you should really be able to do the same with a baseball.

Also...maybe don't throw a sidearm pitch in this situation?

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, nycdan said:

My son pitched through all of little league.  In fact, on of his trainers told him to throw a football in the offseason as an exercise for keeping his arm strength up.  Nolan Ryan used to do it as well.  If you can throw a football straight, you should really be able to do the same with a baseball.

Also...maybe don't throw a sidearm pitch in this situation?

I used to have a Nolan Ryan baseball card where he was tossing a football. I remember thinking it was a super cool card. Never knew this might have been why he would do it.

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I used to have a Nolan Ryan baseball card where he was tossing a football. I remember thinking it was a super cool card. Never knew this might have been why he would do it.

It always seemed to me that if there was one pitcher you wanted to model your kid after, it would be Ryan, who not only was amazing, but really never got injured.  And he did it all before the advent of all the crazy stuff they do now.  Turns out his approach was fairly simple, and his mechanics, of course, were nearly perfect.

A lot of guys said they like throwing the football just for strength conditioning and because of the instant feedback you got from watching it.  

https://frontofficesports.com/the-throwing-doctor-who-trained-nolan-ryan-and-tom-brady/

"Wherever I went as a pitching coach, we always threw a football as part of our preparation and/or recovery from a game. Because you can’t throw a football raw and make it spiral, and because it’s a little heavier than a baseball, it helps for recovery and strength building. So just one of those little weird things that we had fun doing that the rest of the baseball world thought was goofy. But Nolan embraced it and that credibility bled over."

How are the mechanics between pitching and throwing a football similar?

"All rotational throwers and strikers have the same basic kinematic sequence, and very similar mechanical variables. The only difference might be a little bit of difference in timing.

Obviously, a pitcher has all day to get rid of the ball. For the most part, elite Major League pitchers get into foot strike in one second and the ball comes out of their hand 0.25 seconds later. With a quarterback, he’s got to get into foot strike about 0.175 seconds after that weight transfer, then the football comes out 0.25 seconds later.

Then, the mechanics are virtually the same. Balance and posture. Weight transfer. Eyes level. Firm front side. The things that you can measure with 3D-motion analysis are mechanically very similar. So is the physical preparation with lifting weights and realizing how many muscle groups act to accelerate the arm and decelerate the arm. And how to use functional strength versus absolute strength."

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

I'd love to see some of you try and throw a baseball, lol.  

If I was ever asked to do it I would go into my wind-up and midway through stop and toss out a big looping Steve Hamilton Folly Floater.

I once struck out Pat Letterie with one at Washington School playing sponge ball and he proceeded to take the bat and fling it 30 feet in the air over my head and actually hit a pelican slowly loping by, feathers flying and that bird didn't know what the hell hit it but it kept on going, probably went back to it's nest somewhere and tried to explain to it's mate that saying (in pelicanese, of course) "I SWEAR I wasn't drinking' there I was minding my own business when this piece of ash flew at me and almost killed me" 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

If I was a celebrity,  the last thing I would want to do is throw out a baseball first pitch. If you do a good job, nobody cares or remembers and if you screw it up, you become Cole Strange. 

Mike Massimino gave Howard Wallowitz the exact same advice...

Are you an Astronaut?

39 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Lol, no. I'm not that into Big Bang. Just watched it occasionally.  I don't even know who that Mike guy is. Just know the main characters 

Massimino is an actual astronaut that would appear from time to time...seems like a regular guy. 

My wife and I will put on reruns from time to time. Not great, not terrible, but I love Penny. 

26374.thumb.gif.f8664e34bb21d721ff60f7a0e1673011.gif