Ravens @ Jets week 1

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Literally the entire defense is designed for that.  We have a completely different defense.  Antonio Allen was three DCs ago.  I guess he played 8 snaps for Bowles D in 2016, but he missed 2015 and in 2014 he played CB.  They haven't played that matching up thing in years.  When they had Antonio Allen is when the D couldn't stop the TE.  Last year they didn't stop anybody.  They added some bodies, but literally the entire D is packed with guys that should be able to fill that role. 

I remember it differently.  We couldn't stop a TE until Allen stepped in.  He completely shut down Gronk for one, and I think he did well against a few others for at least part of that season.  But before and after....yecccch.

13 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Literally the entire defense is designed for that.  We have a completely different defense.  Antonio Allen was three DCs ago.  I guess he played 8 snaps for Bowles D in 2016, but he missed 2015 and in 2014 he played CB.  They haven't played that matching up thing in years.  When they had Antonio Allen is when the D couldn't stop the TE.  Last year they didn't stop anybody.  They added some bodies, but literally the entire D is packed with guys that should be able to fill that role. 

You would think. We drafted two tweener safety linebacker hybrid things last year.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I remember it differently.  We couldn't stop a TE until Allen stepped in.  He completely shut down Gronk for one, and I think he did well against a few others for at least part of that season.  But before and after....yecccch.

I am pretty sure that is based almost entirely on the fact that he had a pick 6 undercutting Gronk in 2013.  Allen played safety for the Jets for 2 years 2012 and 2013.  Gronkowski played against the Jets twice in those two seasons.  In 2012 he went 6/78 with 2 TDs and in 2013 he went for 8/114.  I wouldn't exactly call that being "completely shut down."  In the 2013 game Allen had the pick 6 and it was on something like 18 targets, but Gronkowski was in his first game back after missing the first half of the season after the back surgery. 

I think Rex traditionally had trouble with TEs.  Last year the Jets put their "#1CB" Bryce Hall on Kyle Pitts and he, along with everybody else, got roasted.  Good TEs are a tough cover. Hopefully we have some for a change.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am pretty sure that is based almost entirely on the fact that he had a pick 6 undercutting Gronk in 2013.  Allen played safety for the Jets for 2 years 2012 and 2013.  Gronkowski played against the Jets twice in those two seasons.  In 2012 he went 6/78 with 2 TDs and in 2013 he went for 8/114.  I wouldn't exactly call that being "completely shut down."  In the 2013 game Allen had the pick 6 and it was on something like 18 targets, but Gronkowski was in his first game back after missing the first half of the season after the back surgery. 

I think Rex traditionally had trouble with TEs.  Last year the Jets put their "#1CB" Bryce Hall on Kyle Pitts and he, along with everybody else, got roasted.  Good TEs are a tough cover. Hopefully we have some for a change.

Here's how I generally recall it.  

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/antonio-allen-s-up-to-the-task-of-covering-gronk-11577054

Interesting to look back.  I remember him doing far better than any of the midget Safeties we mostly had back then, but even then....Gronk.  Sheesh.

9 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Here's how I generally recall it.  

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/antonio-allen-s-up-to-the-task-of-covering-gronk-11577054

Interesting to look back.  I remember him doing far better than any of the midget Safeties we mostly had back then, but even then....Gronk.  Sheesh.

He did do better.  That (8/114 and dropped the game winning TD per that article) still wasn't particularly great.  In 2014 Allen was forced to play at CB.  2015 he tore his achilles.  He signed with the Texans for 2016 and was a final cut the Jets signed him back, but he just played specials. I know he had a big offsides on kick off against the Dolphins that cost them a game when the re-kick was returned for a TD.  I don't know if he was even in camp in 2017.  Too bad, he'd probably be the perfect player for the current hybrid DB/LB rage.  

On 5/14/2022 at 5:43 PM, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

This game is a forgone conclusion, it will be a loss. However, if the Jets stop the running game, including holding #8 in check, it could be fun. 

Believe it or not this is the most winnable game of the first 10 game gauntlet.  Lamar Jackson never showed last season he could handle the cover 0 look

12 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

What is up with Lamar Jackson?  Supposedly the Ravens have a big time contract for him that he wont sign and he has not showed up to the facility yet this year including this weeks OTAs.

Could there be a chance we dont see Lamar in week 1 and Deshawn in week 2?

When have we ever been that lucky?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Dwight Englewood said:

We either win this and shock Vegas or lose and go 0-10 to start the season 

Brutal first half of the season. It would be nice to see a couple wins early on. There are going to be wins the last half, but I want the team to get some wins early on and feel encouraged and excited.

• Sympathy 1

On 5/24/2022 at 6:43 PM, Dwight Englewood said:

Believe it or not this is the most winnable game of the first 10 game gauntlet.  Lamar Jackson never showed last season he could handle the cover 0 look

Pittsburgh will suck this year. That is an easier game. We beat Cincy last year. The Browns are not well coached. Lamar Jackson was becoming less and less effective even before the injury. Balt needed a lot of random things to happen (like a 66 yard FG) to still look effective early. They are all winnable. Burrow and Chase are awesome but I am not sure they are the juggernaut people think they will be.

Pittsburgh could have a Top 5 draft pick next year along with Seattle.

1 hour ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

Brutal first half of the season. It would be nice to see a couple wins early on. There are going to be wins the last half, but I want the team to get some wins early on and feel encouraged and excited.

Not directed solely at you but really no one can really say our first half is "brutal". It might be, but teams are not the same year to year and injuries affect games from the very first snap. Even great teams have weeks where they are fatigued or injured or just complacent. Even if someone were to predict our final record they would likely be wrong on at least 25% of the actual outcomes.

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Not directed solely at you but really no one can really say our first half is "brutal". It might be, but teams are not the same year to year and injuries affect games from the very first snap. Even great teams have weeks where they are fatigued or injured or just complacent. Even if someone were to predict our final record they would likely be wrong on at least 25% of the actual outcomes.

Makes sense what you're saying. Right now, based on what we know, it seems very rough. And when the schedulers are making the schedules it's reasonable to assume they knew it was rough.

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Pittsburgh will suck this year. That is an easier game. We beat Cincy last year. The Browns are not well coached. Lamar Jackson was becoming less and less effective even before the injury. Balt needed a lot of random things to happen (like a 66 yard FG) to still look effective early. They are all winnable. Burrow and Chase are awesome but I am not sure they are the juggernaut people think they will be.

Pittsburgh could have a Top 5 draft pick next year along with Seattle.

I dunno about Pittsburgh sucking.  Trubisky at 100% = Ben at 40%

Browns problem is at qb.  Watson might be suspended and Baker’s on the rag.  Problem is they have a great running game and Saleh’s D couldn’t stop me running behind the 2005 Jet Offensive Line

So somebody please remind me why we can’t win a home against a team that will have a worse roster on offense than last season?  They were not world beaters last season. Lions could have pulled this one out , early in the season, when the Ravens were healthy .  Also, the idea that Jackson doesn’t take hits is mindless 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

So somebody please remind me why we can’t win a home against a team that will have a worse roster on offense than last season?  They were not world beaters last season. Lions could have pulled this one out , early in the season, when the Ravens were healthy .  Also, the idea that Jackson doesn’t take hits is mindless 

I don’t know.   The 0-10 crowd seems to think nothing changes in the NFL.  It’s not an insane schedule.  

The Jets are going to get some wins.  Week 1 is a good place to start.  

• Upvote 3

On 5/14/2022 at 12:56 PM, DetroitRed said:

At some point the Ravens are going to have to rely less on the the QB running game or understand that the shelf life on LJ will be soon winding down.  IMO, continuing to use him in the same fashion is a disrespect to the man.

You’re facing a healthy LJ as it’s the first game.    Jets lose this game by less than two tds , than this Jet team is really improving.      This might be by first pick in my suicide pool .    ( don’t usually take road team but this one a no brainer).

The Ravens are built to beat last years Jets.  Week 1 will answer lots of questions right out of the gate:

Offense:

-Can the WRs beat man?

-Did LeFluer learn figure out how to protect a QB and not leave formations without an answer to a blitzing LB without a hot WR?  The Miami game left Zach looking at all his receivers backs while LBs overloaded a side.  Happened other games too   

-If the WRs can get open on man, and they have a route with a hot Receiver available, will Zach use good footwork and make the quick throw?

-Will the pass protection improve as anticipated?  

-TEs should be huge this game.  

Defense:

-Pressure is the key to all QBs, but Jackson especially.  Will the pass rush be what we hope it will?

-Can they cover a TE now?

-Will the new CBs press and give the pass rush that extra second to get there?  

Honestly the point spread is a bit telling in this game. The last few years a Jets/Ravens game the point spread would probably be somewhere around Baltimore -13 or -14. this game is only Bal -4.5.

I think Vegas is not sure what to make of either team. Baltimore has a great defense but their offense could be very suspect. Jets have a good shot at the win week 1 is everything clicks for them out the gate

12 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Honestly the point spread is a bit telling in this game. The last few years a Jets/Ravens game the point spread would probably be somewhere around Baltimore -13 or -14. this game is only Bal -4.5.

I think Vegas is not sure what to make of either team. Baltimore has a great defense but their offense could be very suspect. Jets have a good shot at the win week 1 is everything clicks for them out the gate

Last year the Panthers were week1 -4.5 point favorites and won by 5. 19-14 

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

Last year the Panthers were week1 -4.5 point favorites and won by 5. 19-14 

Yeah the the Panthers only called the good plays the first three weeks.

Then Brady got fired for calling the bad plays.

• Haha 1

https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/06/02/ny-jets-improbable-wins-2022/

Week 1 vs. Baltimore Ravens

Yes, it’s Week 1. Yes, the Ravens are coming off a disappointing, injury-riddled campaign. Lamar Jackson is playing to become a billionaire. The Jets did not address their interior run defense.

Still, the Ravens’ run-heavy offense has a weakness that teams have begun to recognize. Alex Rollins, whose YouTube channel demonstrates advanced film study, breaks this down thoroughly in his video from August 2021. He discusses Jackson’s struggles in the playoffs during his first three seasons. In 2020, Jackson’s MVP season, the Titans stifled the Ravens’ offense in the playoffs with quarters coverage that brought the safeties down aggressively to defend the run game.

Since the Ravens do not have legitimate deep threats, they are unable to capitalize on the aggressive run focus to beat the coverage over the top. Rashod Bateman may be a popular breakout candidate, but offensive coordinator Greg Roman has not proven that he can deploy his receivers to take advantage of the holes in the defense.

Fortunately, the Jets have the personnel to run this same coverage. Sauce Gardner and D.J. Reed can hold their own in quarters, while Jordan Whitehead and Jason Pinnock or Lamarcus Joyner can be aggressive in the run game.

Meanwhile, the Jets may have a chance to do something on offense. The Ravens uncharacteristically struggled with pass rush last season. The Jets’ offensive line ranked 11th-best in the NFL, per PFF, even without their top guns for large parts of the year. Give Zach Wilson time to go through his reads, and with the weapons he has, good things will happen.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

47 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Then this should be the first of two JetNation outings!

And lets not forget the deluge of loud Baltimore Ravens fans that flooded MetLife on the Jets opening game there over a decade ago.  It was horrible.  We need to all be there.

• Upvote 2