Jump to content

Interesting graph on rest advantages/disadvantages next season


Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Didn't seem to help the Darnold-led Panthers much. 

But I'm sure @BornJetsFan1983 will still find a way to make an excuse for poor, sweet Sammy.  

I also think Sam never had a chance here and I think he'll have a good season. Let's revisit this after 6 games, if he's stinking it up I'll finally admit that he sucks. If he looks good....

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

and?  the jets have been at a disadvantage schedule wise for quite some time because they play in a division that had a dominating team and now a division that has two playoff teams.
Well .. you gotta beat those teams anyway to become relevant. If your team isnt good enough .. it's not good enough.
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Dunnie said:
1 hour ago, rangerous said:
and?  the jets have been at a disadvantage schedule wise for quite some time because they play in a division that had a dominating team and now a division that has two playoff teams.

Well .. you gotta beat those teams anyway to become relevant. If your team isnt good enough .. it's not good enough.

yep.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Larz said:

So if I’m reading this correctly, the cheaters have the same rest disadvantages as the jets, but 1 fewer rest advantage ?

that’s a refreshing change lol

Actually, no.  I don't know who built that chart, but it's terribly conceived.

Look at the Pats for example.  Here are their four non-Sunday afternoon games (taken from cbssports.com so if it's wrong, blame them).

" The Pats play Thanksgiving at the Vikings then again the following Thursday (Bills) and the following Monday night (Cardinals) and then on a Sunday night (Raiders). "

What's uniquely interesting is that they play two consecutive Thursdays.  That gives them a HUGE advantage versus the Bills in that they play a Thursday night game on 7 days rest while the Bills are on 4 days rest.  I don't know that has ever happened before.  They then get an extra 3 days of rest again compared to ARI on the following Monday night.  In fact, the only single day of disadvantage they have compared to their opponents is the game following the Monday night game.  So by any simple measure, they have a +6 for competitive advantage in days of rest versus opponents, not counting any bye weeks that factor in, which could account for the change.   Personally, I don't consider more than 7 days of rest a serious advantage, and maybe the opposite, but I think the Monday and Thursday games are very significant.  

One could look at that Bills game and think that there was some chicanery used to get them that advantage as there is absolutely no reason for a team to play consecutive Thursdays.  The NFL must have felt a little bad, so they then turned around and gave us the Bills following that Thursday night game so they get the extra 3 days of rest versus us.  Make of it what you will.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/12/2022 at 7:05 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Didn't seem to help the DarnoOtherld-led Panthers much. 

But I'm sure @BornJetsFan1983 will still find a way to make an excuse for poor, sweet Sammy.  

No excuses, We have discussed and then rediscussed this over and over....wish sam had worked out but Gase ruined him. You saw that in Carolina.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/12/2022 at 6:30 PM, dbatesman said:

So just eyeballing this everybody is within +/-3 net and like half are within +/-1?

Seems weird and useless to frame this as +/-5 either way in increments of 2.5 (lol).

The schedule nerds do a pretty good job. You'd imagine they have pretty good nerds.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

No excuses, We have discussed and then rediscussed this over and over....wish sam had worked out but Gase ruined him. You saw that in Carolina.

You saw a terrible QB failing at his 2nd stop and little more.  Even if you were right about the extent of mean old Gase’s damage, a QB who has PTSD from one bad head coach that carries into his next stop is a QB who lacks the mental toughness to play the position.

In other words, you will forever be wrong on this topic no matter how many times you repeat the same, tired excuses.  And they are indeed excuses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You saw a terrible QB failing at his 2nd stop and little more.  Even if you were right about the extent of mean old Gase’s damage, a QB who has PTSD from one bad head coach that carries into his next stop is a QB who lacks the mental toughness to play the position.

In other words, you will forever be wrong on this topic no matter how many times you repeat the same, tired excuses.  And they are indeed excuses.

What are you talking about? It's not PTSD. That is just a stupid comment.

If you agree with gase ruined him then you literally agree with me. In other words you saying you are wrong. 

You agree with me cool , you disagree cool. I'm not sure why you have such an obsession with darnold, but whatever man you do you.

Kid never bashed the team and gave everything he had. Glad he got a shot in Carolina, but I fortunately it seems like Geno is a better QB at this point

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

What are you talking about? It's not PTSD. That is just a stupid comment.

If you agree with gase ruined him then you literally agree with me. In other words you saying you are wrong. 

You agree with me cool , you disagree cool. I'm not sure why you have such an obsession with darnold, but whatever man you do you.

Kid never bashed the team and gave everything he had. Glad he got a shot in Carolina, but I fortunately it seems like Geno is a better QB at this point

 

I am saying that even if you are right about Darnold being "ruined" by one coach, that still means he is not a QB who is mentally tough enough to be any good in this league.  Therefore, he is a bust based on being a weak, weak b*tch.  

Ryan Tannehill was coached by Adam Gase for multiple seasons and was not "ruined".  What's the deal there?

My "obsession" is over people who still convince themselves they were never wrong about Darnold.  It fascinates me.  

And I am not moved by the "he was such a nice kid" take.  I'd much, much rather have a QB who is an a$$hole but produces.  All Darnold being a "nice kid" for me means is he was better than Josh Rosen.  Sweet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, if I am interpreting this chart correctly, we play 4 games on short rest and in 3 games, our opponent has short rest.  Over the course of an 18 week season we have one day less rest than our opponents.  Does not sound like much of an issue to me -- that is assuming I am interpreting this correctly.  Which may or may not be a safe assumption.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lith said:

So, if I am interpreting this chart correctly, we play 4 games on short rest and in 3 games, our opponent has short rest.  Over the course of an 18 week season we have one day less rest than our opponents.  Does not sound like much of an issue to me -- that is assuming I am interpreting this correctly.  Which may or may not be a safe assumption.

Interpreting that chart is harder than figuring out the meaning of a Henry Hertz thread title.  @hmhertz

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...