Mike Francesca: Not impressed with Saleh

Steve Young is a big advocate for BYU so it's no surprise he was or continues to advocate for their football players in the NFL. I don't think it is in any way surprising or unreasonable that he would advocate for their star QB to go to a team with a very recent history of success over a team that has been in the dump for a decade with a brand new HC and relatively new GM. 

11 hours ago, Dunnie said:
11 hours ago, T0mShane said:
IMO, they got hoodwinked (as we all did) by Zach beating the Titans and decided he could handle the whole enchilada, which was ultimately unfair to Zach, and it was only in the last five games where they slapped the training wheels back on and gave him the Tecmo Bowl playbook to work through some things. One would hope that they approach this season with a better, more realistic sense of what Zach can handle and increase his workload in a more pragmatic, progressive manner. It will be interesting to see what they do with the backup situation this season. Hughes ventured that they might try to trade White at some point in the offseason and just roll with Flacco and a developmental type at QB3

Tbh.. this is my greatest fear ... will Saleh trust Zach enough to allow him to become great ... or will he be Dilferized.

The system we run is extremely complex and usually takes a full year to master.  The best example of the learning curve and jump is Matt Ryan in 2015 (21 TDs-16 INTs).  One year later he won MVP, almost doubling his TDs and more than halving his INTs.  I’m not saying Zach is going to be an MVP candidate but once this system is mastered it is, without a doubt in my mind, the most QB friendly system you could possibly implement.  A lot of Zach’s struggles last year, even with mechanics, were because he was focused on so many other intricacies that he was swimming.  There should be marked improvement, especially from a kid as talented as him.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

I have no idea what to make of Saleh. I don't think he had a lot of talent to work with last year, but I also don't think he got the team to outperform its talent level, which a very good coach will sometimes do. From hearing him speak, I can see why players would like to play for him as he is an energetic, enthusiastic guy. I thought he should have hired a more experienced guy as one of his coordinators, but I'm bullish on La Fleur (Ulbrich I'm neutral on). The Jets have previously gone down the road of the former defensive coordinator who is a player's coach. Is Saleh going to be more Herman Edwards or pre Seattle Pete Carroll?

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:

I have my doubts about Saleh also. He talks a good game but he often looked like a deer in headlights last year. All gas no brakes, my ass. 

Give us an example of deer in headlights, how he talked a good game?  And how any of that would have a thing to do with wanting his team to play all gas and no breaks or how they didnt?  

One whole season, with a team devoid of proven talent and youre making a lot of assumptions off of it

11 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

Steve Young is a big advocate for BYU so it's no surprise he was or continues to advocate for their football players in the NFL. I don't think it is in any way surprising or unreasonable that he would advocate for their star QB to go to a team with a very recent history of success over a team that has been in the dump for a decade with a brand new HC and relatively new GM. 

Since you have to go where drafted, since thats how the draft works, the best kids go to bad teams where does any of this mean anything or when did it happen

On 5/14/2022 at 10:42 PM, T0mShane said:

I am of the belief that Steve Young is doing a lot of advocating for Zach Wilson behind the scenes and is his de facto handler who tells Joe Douglas what he needs to do to keep Team Wilson happy. It is likewise my belief that Team Wilson wanted Zach to be a 49er, and Douglas has to make concessions to get Team Wilson to allow their darling child to be here in the first place. The Niners spent a ton to get to #3 with the hope that Team Wilson could force Douglas’ hand. Beck’s weird signing was one of those concessions.

This is either 100% true or 100% tin foil hat. No in-between.

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It’s not that I think Mike White is, or ever will be, a great player. It’s that he was a competitive player who provided a spark in a lost season, whom teammates clearly responded to, and he got knifed by Douglas and Saleh for the sole purpose of preserving Zach Wilson’s eggshell-fragile confidence and squished-grape mush feelings. The handling of White exposed Saleh as a gutless fraud afraid to stand up for his players, and it sets poor precedent for a locker room whose coach preaches an insipid “All Gas No Breaks” mantra, but operates like every game is preseason and he’s going to do anything that management tells him to do. 

There is no question the Jets future is in large part based on both Saleh and Zach getting a lot better at their jobs.  Saleh and Zach were rookies and frankly they both were pretty bad rookies.  The NFL exposses everyone and at that point you either adjust or fail.  

The Jets have invested their future in Zach.  Management in particular Douglas and Saleh standing up for Zach, putting more talent around him and backing him so that everyone in the organization understands that sends the right message to the locker room.  You have this decidely ass backwards. 

FYI Mike White resigned with the NY Jets.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 5/13/2022 at 7:51 PM, T0mShane said:

Immaturity is one word for it. Insecurity is another. The position of NFL head coach is an adult’s job and players smell a phony from a mile away. Francesa said the same thing about Rex and he was spot on about that one, too. 

Your posts have been New York Times Pitchbot worthy lately.  Only reason I opened this thread was to see how you would twist yourself into siding with Mike Francesa. 

On 5/15/2022 at 9:45 AM, T0mShane said:

Indeed, I do believe that Steve Young didn’t stop advocating for Zach the second the Jets drafted him. Young was on the Michael Kay Show every week in the lead-up to the draft trying to hold back projectile vomit when discussing the possibility of Zach Wilson ending up on the Jets (mentioning repeatedly how his life would have been different if he wasn’t able to escape to the USFL after being drafted by the Buccaneers). The lone attenuating factor that Young talked about, that made him feel a little better about the Jets situation? The presence of Greg Knapp. Behold, the details of this interview Young gave in October, discussing how much he loved the Jets/Wilson situation post-Knapp (who died in July):

”He was around for a long time, he coached me, Peyton Manning, Michael Vick, Matt Ryan… he knew the NFL”, […]

However, with Knapp’s tragic loss, the flaws in Jets’ plan to groom their young quarterback were exposed, Young says:

“That just now exposed a plan that was not in place until Greg was heading back to New York for training camp,” Young said. 

“I would say there was a plan that I felt comfortable with, with Greg there, but became very uncomfortable when Gregg had his tragic accident.” 

https://jetsxfactor.com/2021/10/13/steve-young-ny-jets-staff-naked-right-now/

Beck, another member of the BYU Cosa Nostra, was hired around two weeks later, on November 1, coincidentally the day after Mike White shredded the Bengals.

So, yes, I would say that Steve Young hates that Zach is on the Jets and I would say that there was pressure on Douglas to not draft Zach Wilson, which obviously Douglas refused. Saleh—notorious obfuscater that he’s shown himself to be, said that the idea of hiring Beck was something they thought about in the weeks prior, when Zach went back to Beck to work on his mechanics during his injury rehab. Given that timeline, one could conclude that Team Wilson wanted a Knapp replacement to come in and triage Wilson’s career, and Beck was the guy. 

EC2213EF-413E-477D-BC6C-05A5173A4E97.png

I take back my prior post.  Your posts are becoming Elise Stefanik / Rand Paul worthy.

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Your posts have been New York Times Pitchbot worthy lately.  Only reason I opened this thread was to see how you would twist yourself into siding with Mike Francesa. 

If you want good news on the Jets the NY Times archives are the best.

On 5/15/2022 at 11:13 PM, Jet Nut said:

Give us an example of deer in headlights, how he talked a good game?  And how any of that would have a thing to do with wanting his team to play all gas and no breaks or how they didnt?  

One whole season, with a team devoid of proven talent and youre making a lot of assumptions off of it

Did you watch the games last year? He would stand on the sidelines like he was in a coma while his team got their asses kicked on a weekly basis and his defense gave up 500 points. It was like having Gase on the sidelines. I thought he was at least going to show a little emotion. Don't come in talking all this sh*t and saying things are going to change when absolutely nothing changed.  I was very unimpressed and I'm expecting a lot better this year. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Did you watch the games last year? He would stand on the sidelines like he was in a coma while his team got their asses kicked on a weekly basis and his defense gave up 500 points. It was like having Gase on the sidelines. I thought he was at least going to show a little emotion. Don't come in talking all this sh*t and saying things are going to change when absolutely nothing changed.  I was very unimpressed and I'm expecting a lot better this year. 

What does this even mean?  How you look on the sidelines.  The most ridiculous way to judge a HC's ability to coach.  Guess Rex is better suited to coach.  Over Belichick.  Landry., etc.  

And don't accuse anyone of talking shlt when you don't even know who coaches the defense and blame W & L's on emotion you don't see on the sidelines.  

None of which has anything to do with him being immature or should have been a comeback to me wanting a link to the source.

On 5/21/2022 at 7:58 AM, RevisIsland610 said:

If you’re gonna compare Saleh to a crappy post-Rex carousel head coach it has to be Todd Bowles

• 7 months later...
On 5/15/2022 at 11:53 AM, Mogglez said:

The system we run is extremely complex and usually takes a full year to master.  The best example of the learning curve and jump is Matt Ryan in 2015 (21 TDs-16 INTs).  One year later he won MVP, almost doubling his TDs and more than halving his INTs.  I’m not saying Zach is going to be an MVP candidate but once this system is mastered it is, without a doubt in my mind, the most QB friendly system you could possibly implement.  A lot of Zach’s struggles last year, even with mechanics, were because he was focused on so many other intricacies that he was swimming.  There should be marked improvement, especially from a kid as talented as him.

This is such an on-point comment. I know it’s old. I remember criticizing Shanny Jr that first year in ATL, then becoming his biggest advocate on JN the following year. I liked him prior to ATL, but figured I was just over-rating him after that first ATL season.

Anyway, while true, you’ve still gotta have a competent QB. So, regardless, the Zach part is whatever.

On 5/15/2022 at 9:45 AM, T0mShane said:

Indeed, I do believe that Steve Young didn’t stop advocating for Zach the second the Jets drafted him. Young was on the Michael Kay Show every week in the lead-up to the draft trying to hold back projectile vomit when discussing the possibility of Zach Wilson ending up on the Jets (mentioning repeatedly how his life would have been different if he wasn’t able to escape to the USFL after being drafted by the Buccaneers). The lone attenuating factor that Young talked about, that made him feel a little better about the Jets situation? The presence of Greg Knapp. Behold, the details of this interview Young gave in October, discussing how much he loved the Jets/Wilson situation post-Knapp (who died in July):

”He was around for a long time, he coached me, Peyton Manning, Michael Vick, Matt Ryan… he knew the NFL”, […]

However, with Knapp’s tragic loss, the flaws in Jets’ plan to groom their young quarterback were exposed, Young says:

“That just now exposed a plan that was not in place until Greg was heading back to New York for training camp,” Young said. 

“I would say there was a plan that I felt comfortable with, with Greg there, but became very uncomfortable when Gregg had his tragic accident.” 

https://jetsxfactor.com/2021/10/13/steve-young-ny-jets-staff-naked-right-now/

Beck, another member of the BYU Cosa Nostra, was hired around two weeks later, on November 1, coincidentally the day after Mike White shredded the Bengals.

So, yes, I would say that Steve Young hates that Zach is on the Jets and I would say that there was pressure on Douglas to not draft Zach Wilson, which obviously Douglas refused. Saleh—notorious obfuscater that he’s shown himself to be, said that the idea of hiring Beck was something they thought about in the weeks prior, when Zach went back to Beck to work on his mechanics during his injury rehab. Given that timeline, one could conclude that Team Wilson wanted a Knapp replacement to come in and triage Wilson’s career, and Beck was the guy. 

EC2213EF-413E-477D-BC6C-05A5173A4E97.png

There is room on this mountain for two visionaries… come, join me.

9 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Didn’t Francesa once call Mangini the next Parcells?

The best Francesa one I can remember was the 94 draft, I believe, when the Jets took Kyle Brady over Warren Sapp. I was driving in the car and listening to him and Dog live at Radio City on WFAN. When the pick was announced. the crowd is going nuts and Dog is just laughing hysterically, going”Oh my God.” When things quieted down, Francesa starts with “ the Jets fan are dopes, they don’t know anything. Kyle Brady was the best player on that Penn State team and one of the top players in this draft. He will be the Jets Mark Bavaro. Two years Jets fans will be in love with this guy.” Classic.

36 minutes ago, section314 said:

The best Francesa one I can remember was the 94 draft, I believe, when the Jets took Kyle Brady over Warren Sapp. I was driving in the car and listening to him and Dog live at Radio City on WFAN. When the pick was announced. the crowd is going nuts and Dog is just laughing hysterically, going”Oh my God.” When things quieted down, Francesa starts with “ the Jets fan are dopes, they don’t know anything. Kyle Brady was the best player on that Penn State team and one of the top players in this draft. He will be the Jets Mark Bavaro. Two years Jets fans will be in love with this guy.” Classic.

He also thought Darnold was the best Qb drafted since Luck. 

• Upvote 1