Robert Saleh on Conner Hughes Podcast

Coach Saleh: "We had a successful draft before the draft ever happened."

Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh are next level.  It is truly a miracle that we have these 2.  And you can bet after the awesome season coming up, he will say the same thing.  "We had a successful season before the season even began."  He is going to have this team on point throughout the summer and ready to go right out of the gate.

Get ready jet fans!!  Its happening!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

You know what's awesome about the turn this board has taken where every single new thread is a video to watch or podcast to listen to oh wait ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IS AWESOME ABOUT IT 

Im not posting video opinion from myself. Just simply posting one of the more in depth interviews i heard from Saleh.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Cyberjet said:

Why are Jet fans so freaking critical of people doing interviews? Jealousy? It’s our only outlet to get a look inside/ behind the scenes with these players. I get the podcasts in the basement criticisms, but these interviews have been very good this year and it’s nice to have optimism that appears to be rooted in some kind of reality. 

For the first time in a long time the Jets have an organized focused process. It would be so nice to see it succeed. 

We just had the best draft of any team in like a decade and jet fans are critical.  Its a disease.  Very sad.

• Upvote 1

This wasn’t the right thread to complain about but I’m there with the frustration lol.  

The interview was really good.  What he said about Zach is what I was saying last season - the plays where was comfortable are the “flashes” and that’s why the eye test is what mattered last season.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for sharing.

His take on getting Breece Hall for an extra 5th And him being a HR hitter is something to get excited about.

Continuity is what will breed success with this team, Zach being in the same system will allow him to get comfortable with this offense. Saleh said he won’t have to think what people will be doing, he will just know. He brought up the Cole play where he was short of the TD as an example.

Great interview no cliché

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

You know what's awesome about the turn this board has taken where every single new thread is a video to watch or podcast to listen to oh wait ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IS AWESOME ABOUT IT 

Proud Of You Thumbs Up GIF by Sealed With A GIF

this was a good interview with our head coach…. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Stupid take. Go eat some ice cream and call the waaaambulence

People can watch what they chose 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I like that Coach Saleh talks about how the org is taking steps to become far more functional on and off the field than it had been previously. The draft being some of the fruit of this labor. I like that he presents energy, and enthusiasm without being an imbecile blowhard. He's seems like an intelligent person who truly understands you can't just slap makeup on a pig, talk it up, and expect good results. He understands that the product on the field is a direct result of what goes on off the field prior to the moment.

He is a football savant disguised as a meathead.  Its the perfect combination for a head coach.  Look and act the part.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Sojf disease is real man

Listen.  I was miserable under bowles and gase.  I was negative.  But there was a reason to be negative.

Now there is 0 reason to be negative.  We are entering a 10-15 year patriots, ravens, steelers type run w/ multiple super bowles coming our way.  Everyone in the football world sees it.  Execpt the majority of jet fans.  Its bizarre.

Coach is right. It's a process and the fruit is/are how well the coaches coach and players not only pick up the schemes but are able to execute it... its call consistency.  When these players are able to just ball and not worry about assignments - this also requires trust in your teammates that they will execute their responsibilities - IMHO then and only then will this team start to win game consistently.  

22 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh are next level.  It is truly a miracle that we have these 2.  And you can bet after the awesome season coming up, he will say the same thing.  "We had a successful season before the season even began."  He is going to have this team on point throughout the summer and ready to go right out of the gate.

Hopefully we’ll have a successful super bowl run before our super bowl run begins. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Claymation said:

Thanks for sharing.

His take on getting Breece Hall for an extra 5th And him being a HR hitter is something to get excited about.

Continuity is what will breed success with this team, Zach being in the same system will allow him to get comfortable with this offense. Saleh said he won’t have to think what people will be doing, he will just know. He brought up the Cole play where he was short of the TD as an example.

Great interview no cliché

It does beg the question WHY has it been soo difficult for Zach to get comfortable in a Quartberback friendly system, tailored to his strengths.

When he was drafted we were told that Zach was comfortable with many of the concepts he would be asked to run in this offense.

Mike White looked more “comfortable” in the system despite it being his first year in the system.  

Jared Goff and Jimmy G entered the McVay and Shanahan systems, respectively and looked immediately more comfortable. As did a bunch of Jags in SF when Jimmy was injured.

For a guy that studies a ton, played in a college offense with similar concepts, and has exceptional traits, the Jets probably thought he’d be further along in his command of the offense in his rookie year.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, jNYC1 said:

It does beg the question WHY has it been soo difficult for Zach to get comfortable in a Quartberback friendly system, tailored to his strengths.

When he was drafted we were told that Zach was comfortable with many of the concepts he would be asked to run in this offense.

Mike White looked more “comfortable” in the system despite it being his first year in the system.  

Jared Goff and Jimmy G entered the McVay and Shanahan systems, respectively and looked immediately more comfortable. As did a bunch of Jags in SF when Jimmy was injured.

For a guy that studies a ton, played in a college offense with similar concepts, and has exceptional traits, the Jets probably thought he’d be further along in his command of the offense in his rookie year.

Tbh, I think he was doing okay with the offense, just that he got shell shocked taking so many big hits early on.  Then at the end of the year as he was finally getting his feet back under him he had nobody to throw to but Berrios.  

I think we will see a different Zach this year.

• Upvote 1

One thing is not in doubt .... we will no the truth to the hyperbole by December.
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, rtnelson said:

Tbh, I think he was doing okay with the offense, just that he got shell shocked taking so many big hits early on.  Then at the end of the year as he was finally getting his feet back under him he had nobody to throw to but Berrios.  

I think we will see a different Zach this year.

That’s my hope too.  I just find the narrative about not being comfortable in the offense unsettling…

• Upvote 1

What is they were not rookies when were exposed to the system?
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jNYC1 said:

He was just thinking too much, which then messed with his mechanics. Pretty simple. 

18 hours ago, Claymation said:

Great point that we overlook as it effects the QB

Look at Darnold.  Not only did Macc not surround him with players to help in his development, he went from the USC offense to the Bowles offense and then the Gase offense.  He didnt get to go back to an offense that he ran before was year 3 of his NFL career.

6 hours ago, Claymation said:

What is they were not rookies when were exposed to the system?

Burrow looked pretty comfortable in a similar system as a rookie.  Zack played in a college offense that ran similar concepts.  As a rookie, he was in theory running a QB friendly offense aligned with his strengths.

I just don't buy the line of thinking that he played poorly because he was still trying to get comfortable/ learning the offense. 

It does seem like he got rattled early, thought he could play hero ball, and tried to operate outside of the offense...  combined with poor mechanics that he could get by with in college but not in the NFL. 

It was good to see the improvement later in the year... which I think had little to do with the knowledge of the offense and more to do with him operating within it.

When coach talks about London/Wilson and the Jets pick at 10, he says that "he was the number one WR on our board, that's been well documented at this point", is he talking about London or Wilson?

I think, from the context, that he's talking about Wilson, but it's not absolutely clear.

Anyway, I much preferred Wilson so am happy with how that worked out.

2 hours ago, mrcoops said:

When coach talks about London/Wilson and the Jets pick at 10, he says that "he was the number one WR on our board, that's been well documented at this point", is he talking about London or Wilson?

I think, from the context, that he's talking about Wilson, but it's not absolutely clear.

Anyway, I much preferred Wilson so am happy with how that worked out.

He is talking about Wilson . Said if  wilson was picked they would of likely drafted Jermaine at 10.

5 hours ago, jNYC1 said:

Burrow looked pretty comfortable in a similar system as a rookie.  Zack played in a college offense that ran similar concepts.  As a rookie, he was in theory running a QB friendly offense aligned with his strengths.

I just don't buy the line of thinking that he played poorly because he was still trying to get comfortable/ learning the offense. 

It does seem like he got rattled early, thought he could play hero ball, and tried to operate outside of the offense...  combined with poor mechanics that he could get by with in college but not in the NFL. 

It was good to see the improvement later in the year... which I think had little to do with the knowledge of the offense and more to do with him operating within it.

I think zachs career arc in college was a bit different than others which makes him a hard comparison. His sophomore season was shaky if I recall and he entered his last year at byu not even having a firm grasp on starting job. But what I recall is he focused, worked hard and took control and never looked back. I get the sense he's a slow starter, hopefully he's finally comfortable

6 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

He is talking about Wilson . Said if  wilson was picked they would of likely drafted Jermaine at 10.

Agree. That said, I liked london and think he's gonna be a very good pro. Would have been happy with him but preferred wilson due to scheme fit. 

Actually Jameson was my #1 but I can understand why they didn't go there with the need for immediate help. Frankly if Jameson was healthy he doesn't make it to 10, we may take him at 4 if not another team. 

• Upvote 1