Jump to content

Robert Saleh on Conner Hughes Podcast


Scoop24
 Share

Recommended Posts

Burrow looked pretty comfortable in a similar system as a rookie.  Zack played in a college offense that ran similar concepts.  As a rookie, he was in theory running a QB friendly offense aligned with his strengths.
I just don't buy the line of thinking that he played poorly because he was still trying to get comfortable/ learning the offense. 
It does seem like he got rattled early, thought he could play hero ball, and tried to operate outside of the offense...  combined with poor mechanics that he could get by with in college but not in the NFL. 
It was good to see the improvement later in the year... which I think had little to do with the knowledge of the offense and more to do with him operating within it.

That’s ok, you’re entitled to your opinion. It’s just that his coach stated that once he just knew the offense, the game slow down.

Burrow might have had a better grasp on the offense, probably more pro ready.

Zach was/is learning a new system, he should take a big leap this year. He has the best skill set out of anyone who came out the last two years. It’s up to the staff to keep developing him, he is far from a finished product.
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, jNYC1 said:

Burrow looked pretty comfortable in a similar system as a rookie.  Zack played in a college offense that ran similar concepts.  As a rookie, he was in theory running a QB friendly offense aligned with his strengths.

I just don't buy the line of thinking that he played poorly because he was still trying to get comfortable/ learning the offense. 

It does seem like he got rattled early, thought he could play hero ball, and tried to operate outside of the offense...  combined with poor mechanics that he could get by with in college but not in the NFL. 

It was good to see the improvement later in the year... which I think had little to do with the knowledge of the offense and more to do with him operating within it.

I think he just became more comfortable in the pro game. Things slowed down a little for him.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Listened to this on my run. Most interesting part is Saleh discussing the organizational commitment to the process as opposed to focusing on short term goals. They really believe they’re doing the right things on a day to day basis, and those things will eventually yield results. 
 

Also interesting question by Hughes, asking Saleh what the org sees in Zach that the rest of the world doesn’t. Saleh gave the stock answer “How hard he works behind the scenes,” but also discussed the challenges of getting Zach to get a handle on the “101” stuff about the offense, where he and LaFleur are on the same page, which will make LaFleur’s job easier. Says everyone in the org believes in Zach, but I think it’s telling that Zach is still at the point—in Saleh’s eyes— where he hasn’t mastered the 101 stuff yet. Saleh even says it’s a “quarterback friendly system.” 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Listened to this on my run. Most interesting part is Saleh discussing the organizational commitment to the process as opposed to focusing on short term goals. They really believe they’re doing the right things on a day to day basis, and those things will eventually yield results. 
 

Also interesting question by Hughes, asking Saleh what the org sees in Zach that the rest of the world doesn’t. Saleh gave the stock answer “How hard he works behind the scenes,” but also discussed the challenges of getting Zach to get a handle on the “101” stuff about the offense, where he and LaFleur are on the same page, which will make LaFleur’s job easier. Says everyone in the org believes in Zach, but I think it’s telling that Zach is still at the point—in Saleh’s eyes— where he hasn’t mastered the 101 stuff yet. Saleh even says it’s a “quarterback friendly system.” 

You captured it.  It sounds like Zach is still at the 101 level.  The front office and coaching staff are doing everything possible to support Zach.

It feels like we are all waiting for things to click for Zach.  

It’s not on the coaching staff or front office if Zach struggles…period.
 

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes Wilson has all the intelligence to master the offense. If you hear Wilson speak about formations and defensive reads it’s all there. The question for Wilson is whether he can translate that knowledge to the field.
 

He sees the field in the classroom and in film study but does he see the field in live action? If he can make this transition, with his arm talent and mobility he is going to be very good.
 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Listened to this on my run. Most interesting part is Saleh discussing the organizational commitment to the process as opposed to focusing on short term goals. They really believe they’re doing the right things on a day to day basis, and those things will eventually yield results. 
 

Also interesting question by Hughes, asking Saleh what the org sees in Zach that the rest of the world doesn’t. Saleh gave the stock answer “How hard he works behind the scenes,” but also discussed the challenges of getting Zach to get a handle on the “101” stuff about the offense, where he and LaFleur are on the same page, which will make LaFleur’s job easier. Says everyone in the org believes in Zach, but I think it’s telling that Zach is still at the point—in Saleh’s eyes— where he hasn’t mastered the 101 stuff yet. Saleh even says it’s a “quarterback friendly system.” 

Seems like the plan is to give Zach every chance to succeed but to have a ready-made offense for a vet (Jimmy G or Tannehill maybe), if Zach doesn't take a step forward.    

  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LionelRichie said:

Seems like the plan is to give Zach every chance to succeed but to have a ready-made offense for a vet (Jimmy G or Tannehill maybe), if Zach doesn't take a step forward.    

I'm good with that.  People say that 2022 is "all about Zach".  I disagree.  The larger goal should be to see if we're truly a "QB away" from competing for division titles and deep playoff runs with this roster.  Whether that QB is Zach or someone else.

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm good with that.  People say that 2022 is "all about Zach".  I disagree.  The larger goal should be to see if we're truly a "QB away" from competing for division titles and deep playoff runs with this roster.  Whether that QB is Zach or someone else.

When I say 2022 is all about Zach what I mean by that is 1) I think the rest of the team is ready to win some games and 2) I'm pretty confident we're rolling with Zach and the outcome of this season (in Ws and Ls) will be determined by his play.

But I agree -- in fact, if I'm Saleh and/or Douglas I want a capable veteran on this roster ready to step in if Wilson sucks. You don't want your progress undermined just because you whiffed on a QB.

Frankly, if Wilson sucks but the rest of the team is looking good and trending in the right direction I'd be fine letting them pick another one, which I know is not a popular opinion.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

When I say 2022 is all about Zach what I mean by that is 1) I think the rest of the team is ready to win some games and 2) I'm pretty confident we're rolling with Zach and the outcome of this season (in Ws and Ls) will be determined by his play.

But I agree -- in fact, if I'm Saleh and/or Douglas I want a capable veteran on this roster ready to step in if Wilson sucks. You don't want your progress undermined just because you whiffed on a QB.

Frankly, if Wilson sucks but the rest of the team is looking good and trending in the right direction I'd be fine letting them pick another one, which I know is not a popular opinion.

I think the FQB mega contracts have changed the dynamic in the NFL.   It seems like the new model is gaining more traction: build the team first then get the vet QB and try to win in the limited window.    You saw both the Bucs and Rams win Super Bowls and Indy has a great team with their 3rd vet QB in 3 years trying to win it all.   Denver didn't bother drafting another QB, Cleveland got Watson but gave him a mega-contract so they don't really count.   I think you'll see Miami make the same move next year and bounce Tua for a vet rather than drafting a QB.   If the OL is as good as advertised and Wilson/Moore/Hall are studs then this team is a vet QB away from competing for the AFC in '23.    With the crazy contracts being paid to WR's it's almost like the $ allocation has changed and the GM's realized there is a point of diminishing returns with QB pay.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...