Sauce WR #1 Matchups

Bronx

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Isnt it kinda like that for every #1 CB?

The Jets are probably facing the best WRs in the league this year. A lot to ask for a rookie CB but it will also benefit his growth.

19 minutes ago, Bronx said:

The Jets are probably facing the best WRs in the league this year. A lot to ask for a rookie CB but it will also benefit his growth.

So pretty much the same for the fish, Pats and Bills.  

I'll stand by pretty much the same for everyone.  Not too many teams that dont have a candidate for "best WR in the league this year" on their roster

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Im expecting Saleh to stick his corners on one side and leave them there. That’s the way he likes running his defense.

With the schedule they’re facing, he’ll have an opportunity to make his case. 6 picks this season would strengthen his argument. Heaven knows he should be targeted enough 

18 minutes ago, Larz said:

DROY

Sauce should do very well against the bigger receivers.  His straight line speed and length should match up well.  The shifty quick guys are going to be a problem, and the polished route runners are also likely going to be a problem.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Hael said:

Sauce should do very well against the bigger receivers.  His straight line speed and length should match up well.  The shifty quick guys are going to be a problem, and the polished route runners are also likely going to be a problem.

He shouldn't have gone number 4 overall then.

• Upvote 2

It’s honestly not a terrible schedule. That’s just the NFL.

We also don’t really know how matchups will work. Are they going to play sides, and if not how do they want to deploy the guys they have?

It also strikes me that Reed is a shorter, quick DB who mirrors well but doesn’t have elite long speed. Sauce has better recovery speed and length. So letting Reed mirror the more technically savvy route runners who are are pretty prevalent as #1’s but giving him safety help over the top may make sense. Especially now given he’s a little more experienced and maybe better prepared to handle technicians, especially in the short to intermediate areas, as Sauce adjust to the pro level.

Against the Bengals for example, I could argue that MCII on Boyd, Sauce on Higgins, and Reed on Chase with safety help is smart. Could be similar with the Vikings and Jefferson/Thielen.

Sauce will have multiple smaller, shiftier guys to practice against too which I’m sure will help his development. He’s got great fluidity for his size so he could absolutely be ready to do that stuff week one but if the jump is hard it could be helpful for both guys - with Reed being smaller too - to be deployed in that fashion, certainly in certain matchups. Against the Dolphins both guys are smaller and have wheels so it probably depends more what areas of the field they’ll attack with each player.

And all that said, they may just play sides anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

Im expecting Saleh to stick his corners on one side and leave them there. That’s the way he likes running his defense.

I was gonna say something like this. I don’t see Sauce matched up with the other team’s #1 WR every week a la Revis. They may get there eventually, if he’s what we all hope he is, but I doubt it happens his rookie year. Could see them trying to have Gardner on the taller receivers and Reed on the smaller ones, though. 

• Upvote 4

So, according to this Tweet we should breath easy:

Week1
Week4
Week6
Week8
Week10
Week11
Week12
Week15
Week16

And are we really worried about an oft-injured Amari Cooper, Courtland Sutton against our tall press CB, anybody getting passes from Tua Tagovailoa, or Drew Lock throwing to DK Metcalf?

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

So, according to this Tweet we should breath easy:

Week1
Week4
Week6
Week8
Week10
Week11
Week12
Week15
Week16

And are we really worried about an oft-injured Amari Cooper, Courtland Sutton against our tall press CB, anybody getting passes from Tua Tagovailoa, or Drew Lock throwing to DK Metcalf?

This.   Cooper and Sutton are not WR1s.  Metcalf won't be close with Seattle's QB.  Gardner will likely not cover these guys on every play.  Can we stop trying to reinvent Revis?  It's ridiculous.  

• Like 1

Out of all the players in this draft I honestly felt the best about sauce, never thought we would take him though with us signing DJ…

I think sauce hits the ground running and even if he struggles I don’t see him ever being Okudah terrible. 

even if sauce struggles in his rookie campaign, fellas be patient because I believe we a future nfl Superstar 

This is the cornerback version of "Its all on Zach now".  Um, no its not.  
This is a team and everyone needs to pitch in  The season doesnt fall on any 1 players shoulders.
Taken at 4 I beg to differ ... Revis (14) was taken later ... D Sanders(5), J Ramsey(5), R Woodson(10), Peterson(5) ...

Play like these guys and the pick was justified ... dont and it was a severely flawed valuation.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

7 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Taken at 4 I beg to differ ... Revis (14) was taken later ... D Sanders(5), J Ramsey(5), R Woodson(10), Peterson(5) ...

Play like these guys and the pick was justified ... dont and it was a severely flawed valuation.

That would imply that the value at #4 in this draft is equivalent to that same slot in every other draft, and that’s just not the case. 

Look at who went 1-2-3…

1. A measurements guy without stats. 
2. A high-floor/low ceiling, motor guy with one year of stats.   
3. A low-floor/high ceiling, injury risk with one year of stats. 

This pick has NOTHING to do with any other draft. 

• Post of the Week 3

Sauce is a very good prospect, but he will inevitably have an adjustment period in the NFL.

He often played against lesser competition in college and was rarely targeted. That will change in the NFL, and it will be a challenging experience.

I don't think he'll go through entire games with being targeted in the NFL, so he will have to adjust to that.

Since we picked him, I've gone back and watched quite a few Cincy games. Gardner is very impressive, but he does have things to work on. He can get a bit grabby on longer routes, which he won't get away with in the NFL. His tackling will need to improve in the NFL too, especially when playing in zone.

He's not Revis, who is the best technical CB I have ever seen, but Gardner is extremely talented and can become a top-tier NFL CB in time. He's sort of a cross between Antonio Cromartie and Richard Sherman, with the ability to be as good as those guys once he adjusts to the NFL game.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Revis was not Revis his rookie year. Huge adjustment period going from Cinci to the NFL, so I expect a potentially bumpy rookie season, although some guys like Surtain last year showed us having an elite rookie year isn't out of the realm of possibility. Still, I'm very fairly confident that in due time Sauce is going to be a hell of an NFL corner

• Upvote 1

That would imply that the value at #4 in this draft is equivalent to that same slot in every other draft, and that’s just not the case. 
Look at who went 1-2-3…
1. A measurements guy without stats. 
2. A high-floor/low ceiling, motor guy with one year of stats.   
3. A low-floor/high ceiling, injury risk with one year of stats. 
This pick has NOTHING to do with any other draft. 
If you want to play that game ... if London sparkles or Thibs dominates... but to discount every draft in history is a sad mistake. It seems like you are saying that this draft is an outlier in history.

Fact remains the kid was drafted 4 overall ... a slot that does not allow for development... a slot that expects to produce a dominant starter.

15 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

If you want to play that game ... if London sparkles or Thibs dominates... but to discount every draft in history is a sad mistake. It seems like you are saying that this draft is an outlier in history.

Fact remains the kid was drafted 4 overall ... a slot that does not allow for development... a slot that expects to produce a dominant starter.

Absolutely ridiculous comment. Sorry to break it to you bud but it's pretty likely that Sauce won't "dominate" right out of the gate. Corner is one of the hardest transitions from college to the pros, and for the most part, highly drafted corners usually face struggles out of the gates

• Upvote 2